Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yougov poll shows Lib Dems at 8%

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nice to see the political pipsqueaks back down where they belong. That's the Lib Dems dead and buried now. About the only thing they had going for them before the election was their perceived principles. Oh well. Their natural voters will now split between Labour and the Greens - hoorah!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
To be fair, their flagship policy was that if they got into Government they would aim to abandon fees, although they acknowledged that they could only afford to do this for final year students during their first term in office. The Lib Dems encouraged all of their parliamentary candidates to sign the NUS pledge that they would oppose any rise in tuition fees in this parliament. As things have turned out, the rise in tuition fees will only go through because of Lib Dem supoport, and it isn't just a small rise, it is a three-fold increase in fees.

Whatever your view is on fees, how can you support a party that has so blatently u-turned on their pre-election promises?

I tactically voted to ensure the lib dems had the best possible chance of forming a government, I now regret this. I'll never be voting Lib Dem again, ever. I'd rather destroy my ballot paper.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair, their flagship policy was that if they got into Government they would aim to abandon fees, although they acknowledged that they could only afford to do this for final year students during their first term in office. The Lib Dems encouraged all of their parliamentary candidates to sign the NUS pledge that they would oppose any rise in tuition fees in this parliament. As things have turned out, the rise in tuition fees will only go through because of Lib Dem supoport, and it isn't just a small rise, it is a three-fold increase in fees.

Whatever your view is on fees, how can you support a party that has so blatently u-turned on their pre-election promises?

I tactically voted to ensure the lib dems had the best possible chance of forming a government, I now regret this. I'll never be voting Lib Dem again, ever. I'd rather destroy my ballot paper.
My feelings at the moment, except that I probably will vote Lib Dem again once Clegg has been booted out.

They had flagship policies and they should have insisted on guarantees that these key policies would have been carried out before choosing to form a coalition government. Otherwise, the Tories should have been allowed to form a minority government.

The problem now is that this has put much needed voting reform back a decade because the LibDems have shown how useless it can be if any of the coalition partners are clueless and incompetent.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
lets face it they are all a bunch of liars,crooks and gangsters and if the general public don't destroy the libs dems then the tories will when they have out lived their usefulness.
my only hope is that the people who voted lib dem will go straight to the Greens because probably not in my life time,but they will be the major party eventually when people see sense

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
lets face it they are all a bunch of liars,crooks and gangsters and if the general public don't destroy the libs dems then the tories will when they have out lived their usefulness.
my only hope is that the people who voted lib dem will go straight to the Greens because probably not in my life time,but they will be the major party eventually when people see sense

Really? They might need to become a bit more centerist if they are to become electable. If there was to be another general election today then Lucas would probably lose her seat back to Labour.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Nice to see the political pipsqueaks back down where they belong. That's the Lib Dems dead and buried now. About the only thing they had going for them before the election was their perceived principles. Oh well. Their natural voters will now split between Labour and the Greens - hoorah!

Excellently put. Would love to hear someone defending what the Libs have done, anyone?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Excellently put. Would love to hear someone defending what the Libs have done, anyone?

You can't really defend it, but you can explain it. They had to pay a price for being in Government and this it what it was.

They could have stayed out of Government and done a supply and confidence deal with the tories, but isn't the ultimate desire for a political party to be in Government and shaping events?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I treat these polls with the appropriate caution but it's interesting that Labour are level with the Tories and Miliband has not really done anything yet.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Plus, they would have had the same problem if they joined with Labour. Labour don't disagree with the need to increase tutition fees, they (or Ed Milliband, not Alan Johnson) think there should be a graduate tax to pay for it.

The ultimate lesson is don't include gimmicky policies, especially ones as serious as this one!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I treat these polls with the appropriate caution but it's interesting that Labour are level with the Tories and Miliband has not really done anything yet.

So it can only get worse for Milliband right? Given all the unrest about the cuts and the bounce Labour should get from getting rid of Brown, they should be doing a lot better than being level!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Plus, they would have had the same problem if they joined with Labour. Labour don't disagree with the need to increase tutition fees, they (or Ed Milliband, not Alan Johnson) think there should be a graduate tax to pay for it.

The ultimate lesson is don't include gimmicky policies, especially ones as serious as this one!
The graduate tax is an excellent idea. Which begs the question, why the hell didn't they implement it when they had the chance?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think you also have to consider the state of the country when the ConDems came into power, they knew the finances were bad but I don't think they quite appreciated just how much Labour had fcuked things up. I'm not saying I agree with the rise in tuition fees and the Lib Dem U-turn but you have to put it into perspective.

The trouble is the Lib Dems shot themselves in the foot when they made all those pre-election promises without knowing the facts, they should have left themselves a little bit of leeway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So it can only get worse for Milliband right? Given all the unrest about the cuts and the bounce Labour should get from getting rid of Brown, they should be doing a lot better than being level!!

Er, not in my opinion, no. I'd be suprised if the electorate turned sharply against the government so soon after an election. So, being level at this stage is fine with me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you also have to consider the state of the country when the ConDems came into power, they knew the finances were bad but I don't think they quite appreciated just how much Labour had fcuked things up

Government spending is not a secret. Maybe they should have paid closer attention when looking at the books and making statements. 'we didnt realise how bad it was' just does not wash with me....from any party. It shows negligence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here