Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] You go into a newsagent to buy...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Quavers, Mars bar, Pepsi max

Although in the early 80s it would have been

Scampi fries, Mars bar, shandy bass

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
When Little Nige died I went into countless newsagents to get a dirty book for him to take to the next life and peruse whilst sitting on his cloud.

Not a thing anymore apparently, even the retailers who hail from the sub continent didn’t stock them, thankfully one of the lads in the pub had the Xmas 1976 Mayfair edition 😂

But in answer to you original question;

Salt and vinegar, Ribena light and Fry‘s Turkish Delight 👍

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Now:
Wotsits
Milky Way
Pepsi Max

Then:
Football Crazy
Texan Bar
Cydrax

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Beautiful. Done in the perfect spirit.

My then would be Panda Pop, Space Raiders and a Freddo with change from a quid :lol:

My son would struggle to understand that I was 18 before I ever went into a newsagent and bought a packet of crisps, a chocolate bar and a drink all at the same time.

Football Crazy were 4p and it was a choice between a packet of them (and 2 x Fruit Salads) or an iced bun from the baker in Sackville Road near The Goldstone... the 5p budget for this enterprise having been created by walking home 1.5 miles from primary school rather than taking the bus.

[How times change? At 17, Moshe Jnr had a girl round last night that he'd "met" through posting photos of himself online and they spent £20 on ordering a delivery of a milkshake, a biscuit and a small amount of some other sugary sludge ("cookie dough"?)... :shrug:]

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Seeing a lot of responses to this that reference snacks that aren't technically crisps because they're not potato-based. Disappointing really.

crisp: a wafer-thin slice of potato fried or baked until crisp and eaten as a snack.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Plain crisps with a blue bag of salt inside
Marathon Bar ( really was expecting the name to revert from Snickers as a Brexit Benefit)
Corona Orange

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In the 80’s with my £1 chore money.

24p can of 7up
10p honeycomb
50p Oink magazine

Usually some sort of cheap toy or magic trick. Mustard sweets were a favourite of mine. Probably get locked up for giving one to someone now.

Was always accused of “wasting” my money by my Mum because I would finish my last chore on Saturday morning and peg it to the shops to spend ny earning on tat and sweets while my spoddy twin brother would save his up and buy “decent” things like a nice set of colouring pens or something for his Amstrad computer.

I used to love Oink magazine.

Last edited:

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
A packet of salt & vinegar BONES or the bacon version CLAWS or (the not quite as nice) cheese and onion version FANGS

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Does anybody remember red band cigarettes..95p a packet of 20. Silk cut was £1.30 so a huge saving but rough as arseholes

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Noticed that the Tesco finest beef and horseradish (Brannigans replacement discussed in this thread) have been out of stock for a few weeks.

In a panic, I emailed Tesco and my worst fears confirmed - they’ve been discontinued. Recommend buying up stock if you see it and are a fan.

Why does this always happen to products I love :nono:
I was horrified by this post of yours that they’re now discontinued. Are they allowed to do something as dramatic as that during an election campaign? Anyway, I’d noticed a month or so back that Tesco Eastbourne no longer has them (replaced by ghastly Katsick Curry flavour) but retrieved some from Lewes Tesco (thank God for old sods’ bus passes from Seaford).

I’m now in a panic and have gone online to order what I could. They’ve put a restriction of 16 bags on them so have ordered to the limit (with no substitution). It’ll be interesting to see if they’re delivered.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was horrified by this post of yours that they’re now discontinued. Are they allowed to do something as dramatic as that during an election campaign? Anyway, I’d noticed a month or so back that Tesco Eastbourne no longer has them (replaced by ghastly Katsick Curry flavour) but retrieved some from Lewes Tesco (thank God for old sods’ bus passes from Seaford).

I’m now in a panic and have gone online to order what I could. They’ve put a restriction of 16 bags on them so have ordered to the limit (with no substitution). It’ll be interesting to see if they’re delivered.
Fingers crossed for you - I did exactly the same and the delivery was fulfilled. I guess they’re just selling through what they’ve got and it’s pot luck. Good luck!!!

Edit: agree on the katsu curry, absolutely disgusting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here