Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] You back-up your data, right?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As someone that's worked in IT for over 30 years I'd say your 'IT Guy' doesn't know what he's talking about and the risk of using an external HD for backups is ridiculous.

The only reason I add four EHDs to my cloud back up is the cloud is a work cloud and when I retire I'd need to back everything up, so I may as well do it as I go.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I learnt the hard way. We always took our laptops home from our office each night……except the night someone smashed a couple of windows and nicked them both. I didn’t have backups and spent months re entering my invoices onto the accounts software.

Since then I have always backed up to the cloud via Mega who give 50mb of free storage.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
As a Luddite - am I ok if my photos are all on iPhone and I back up to iCloud?

As a Luddite you should smash your camera up.

I learnt the hard way. We always took our laptops home from our office each night……except the night someone smashed a couple of windows and nicked them both. I didn’t have backups and spent months re entering my invoices onto the accounts software.

Since then I have always backed up to the cloud via Mega who give
50mb of free storage.

Stingy b*stards.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
As someone that's worked in IT for over 30 years I'd say your 'IT Guy' doesn't know what he's talking about and the risk of using an external HD for backups is ridiculous.

What's the risk of using EHDs the only concern surely is where you store them and if you do that right what's the problem. Plenty of people focus on the technology RAID (what ever the number is now) to protect from hardware failure my experience (over 30 years mainly in database area) is that most data is lost because of logical corruption and raiding only mirrors that error. having a backup strategy which uses latest technology is good but you need to understand the potential gaps.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

I must admit I do wonder how he stays employed, never been any use when I've needed anything

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If you lose your phone, do you definitely know your icloud login and password? Or do you just rely on your phone to fill it in for you?

I always use my DOB as a password and as hardly anyone remembers my birthday, it must be secure mustn't it?

:lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What's the risk of using EHDs the only concern surely is where you store them and if you do that right what's the problem. Plenty of people focus on the technology RAID (what ever the number is now) to protect from hardware failure my experience (over 30 years mainly in database area) is that most data is lost because of logical corruption and raiding only mirrors that error. having a backup strategy which uses latest technology is good but you need to understand the potential gaps.

you've been protected by sysadmin's swapping out failed or failing drives.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
you've been protected by sysadmin's swapping out failed or failing drives.

In the early days or RAID mirroring had a sysadm mirror the new drive of a pair over the remaining good one - thank god for tape . When we were using the big raid boxes from EMC in mid 90's had sys admins telling me the service will never fail - they never read the literature just the headlines , the disks could still fail catastrophically. Some of many events in 27 years as a DBA where we supported about 4000 databases....

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I work part time for the National Trust which is currently changing its data files etc to SharePoint.

My experience so far of SharePoint is that it is utter w@nk.

Proved this week when one of my colleagues copied a lot of files from our server to the appropriate bit of the cloud or whatever the w@nky thing is called.

Checks the folder has been moved over. Great. So deletes the copy on the old server.

Comes in next day. Opens the SharePoint folder. It's empty. Many hundreds of valuable PDF files with salvage information about the valuable stuff in our property gone.

Fortunately because we have a back up system on the old server whereby us Admin minions put a tape in everyday eventually we got the data back.

So this post is a bit of a moan about SharePoint, but also emphasising about the importance of backing up data.

BUT when everything finally migrates over to SharePoint (which as you may have guessed I have a low opinion of �� ) the old server and it's back up tapes will be ditched. What the f will we do then if we lose anything? Panic, panic!!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What's wrong with keeping it all written down in a small notebook?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I work part time for the National Trust which is currently changing its data files etc to SharePoint.

Proved this week when one of my colleagues copied a lot of files from our server to the appropriate bit of the cloud or whatever the w@nky thing is called.

Checks the folder has been moved over. Great. So deletes the copy on the old server.

Comes in next day. Opens the SharePoint folder. It's empty. Many hundreds of valuable PDF files with salvage information about the valuable stuff in our property gone.

Fortunately because we have a back up system on the old server whereby us Admin minions put a tape in everyday eventually we got the data back.

So this post is a bit of a moan about SharePoint, but also emphasising about the importance of backing up data.

BUT when everything finally migrates over to SharePoint (which as you may have guessed I have a low opinion of �� ) the old server and it's back up tapes will be ditched. What the f will we do then if we lose anything? Panic, panic!!

and re-emphasises the point that its usually human error (often brought about by change) which is more common than hardware failure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yeah thats a problem. "but its backed up..." until someone deletes it without anyone realising a few weeks, months, years, and recover costs £xxx hour to retrieve, if available. trouble with anything-as-a-service, its only guranteed to give you some financial recompense, then only commercially. retail might get a few months free as compensation. cloud is so much cheaper, but at what cost?

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida

Also known as SCAREpoint

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
What's wrong with keeping it all written down in a small notebook?

Yes, and what's wrong with keeping all your photos in a couple of old shoe boxes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here