Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

yippee a tax rebate... or not

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Thought you might like to know about this email I recieved today

Dear Applicant:

we have reviwed your tax return and our calculations of your last years accounts
a tax refund of 178.25 is due
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

Please submit the form attached to your email in order to complete your tax
refund

Best Regards,
HM Revenue & Customs

--------------------------------------------------------------
© Copyright 2009, HM Revenue & Customs UK All rights reserved.
TAX REFUND ID: A29R119

Looks realistic at first glance until you see the attached form which asks for your - name & address including province(???) phone number ,driving licence number, date of birth, mothers maiden name, name of your bank & your credit card number including credit card validation number & expiry date.
I've forwarded it to the real HMRC who said that its a new one to them & probably comes from, suprise suprise........Nigeria!
Anyway , will I still get my 178.25 somethings, I don't know what they might be as there is nothing to signify any currency......

Don't forget , Keep 'em peeled!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
You can tell it's a hoax anyway....3-6 days to process the payment? Blimey, last time I claimed tax back it took THREE MONTHS. HMRC aren't that good :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the "best regards" gives it away as a hoax :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And since when has HM Revenue & Customs been COPYRIGHTED, with that 'all rights reserved' cobblers ?

Harley S

Aug 31, 2008
No it's definately not a hoax I can assure you my dear friend.

All you have to do is give them all your bank & personal details and then transfer your dead fathers inheritance of £12 million which is locked in a UK account & they'll send you your £178.25.

Simple !

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You can tell it's a hoax anyway....3-6 days to process the payment? Blimey, last time I claimed tax back it took THREE MONTHS. HMRC aren't that good :lolol:

only true now if you submit a paper return, online returns are getting refunds in under a week sometimes now.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Online returns may get an instant responce but you must remember that should HMRC later find that you have made a mistake (intentional or not) then they will have the money back & with interest so, should you get a surprising rebate then try & check it out before you spend it.

I say 'try' because HMRC have cut so many staff that getting through is not easy. the upside of all this is that there's fewer people tofind mistakes on 'mistakes' on your return anyway!

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
The first I knew of a tax refund was when it turned up in my bank account,it was a couple of days later that I received a letter confirming the refund,so they dont need you to tell them your bank details,they know more of our details than we imagine.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
HMRC are pretty good at making refunds after online submission of Tax Returns - 3-5 days is standard.

And they won't send a repayment into a bank account unless it's been nominated by the individual...

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I got warned about this at work - scary stuff.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
And I got this twice yesterday, each time giving me a different tax reference. They are getting a little more sophisticated!!

From: HM Revenue and Customs [mailto:no-reply@hmrc.gov.uk]
Sent: 12 October 2009 8:40 PM
To:
Subject: Notice of Underreported Income

Taxpayer ID: -00000943019561UK
Tax Type: INCOME TAX
Issue: Unreported/Underreported Income (Fraud Application)

Please review your tax statement on HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website (click on the link below):

review tax statement for taxpayer id: -00000943019561UK

HM Revenue and Customs

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The first I knew of a tax refund was when it turned up in my bank account,it was a couple of days later that I received a letter confirming the refund,so they dont need you to tell them your bank details,they know more of our details than we imagine.

They even know which cubicle you prefer when taking a dump during office hours. :lolol:
Russ recently had a letter from HMRC advising him to make sure that any bank interest was net instead of gross otherwise he would get a tax demand now that he has left full time education. If they do send a tax demand it will only be for pennies anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here