Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet more sporting success, but...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This probably isn't the first thread about this, it might not even be the first one I've started.
But now we can add tennis, to the list including Olympics, Paralympics, cycling, cricket, golf, to national triumph on the international stage.
Is it justified for, as Seb Coe says, our media to be so football obsessed.

2012 Paralympic Games | Video, Schedules, Results, TV | SuperSport.com

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good point, and I would say no. To be honest the only thing keeping me interested in football at the moment is the Albion and the joyous matchday experience that is the Amex. I really think top-flight football (PL and the England national team) have really been shown this summer for the narcissistic and shallow cash-fest it really is. As entertaining as they can be on occasion I really cannot get excited about the likes of Man City's mercenaries and mancini saying that he has to spend big to retain the title, when all it really needs is some hard work by himself and his players.

Football rewards mediocrity like no other sport does and it really grates at this time more than any other for me.

This probably isn't the first thread about this, it might not even be the first one I've started.
But now we can add tennis, to the list including Olympics, Paralympics, cycling, cricket, golf, to national triumph on the international stage.
Is it justified for, as Seb Coe says, our media to be so football obsessed.

2012 Paralympic Games | Video, Schedules, Results, TV | SuperSport.com

Possibly. But ignoring all the perceived wrongs with the game it is the easiest to participate in as you only need a ball and "jumpers for goalposts". Disregarding fishing (which I believe is often claimed as the most popular "sport") surely football must be the one with the most participants?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Football is great every year because it doesn't rely on international success. We're having a miner blip with these other sports, we'll be shit again soon.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I didn't even realise that England were playing last weekend until my daughter said England are winning, which she found out on twitter. I think we are playing again in the next day or so but I have no idea who it is against. Friday night, however, is another matter.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Possibly. But ignoring all the perceived wrongs with the game it is the easiest to participate in as you only need a ball and "jumpers for goalposts". Disregarding fishing (which I believe is often claimed as the most popular "sport") surely football must be the one with the most participants?

Athletics (in the wider sense) is much easier to take part in. All you need to do is go outside and run. No ball, no jumpers, no wide open space.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good point, and I would say no. To be honest the only thing keeping me interested in football at the moment is the Albion and the joyous matchday experience that is the Amex. I really think top-flight football (PL and the England national team) have really been shown this summer for the narcissistic and shallow cash-fest it really is. As entertaining as they can be on occasion I really cannot get excited about the likes of Man City's mercenaries and mancini saying that he has to spend big to retain the title, when all it really needs is some hard work by himself and his players.

Football rewards mediocrity like no other sport does and it really grates at this time more than any other for me.
Nicely summarised. It would be nice to see gates plummet at clubs littered with overpaid mediocrity.

Has anyone else developed a rational dislike for Wayne Rooney? The fat perma-sweaty thick wanker who held out for TWO HUNDRED GRAND A WEEK but looks like a non-league player when involved in a match at the highest level.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Very true, and for some time now, it's only the teams that I genuinely support that hold my interest in soccer.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
It's not some terrible conspiracy that football is internationally loved and watched. It just happens because it's easy to play and has simple rules.

We had athletics, taekwondo, slalom canoe, cycling etc on TV on a regular basis in the 70s & 80s. It was called 'World of Sport' and was shown when the horse racing wasn't on and while people were waiting for the wrestling at four o'clock. Nobody watched it.

The sports about which we've rightly become excited would soon lose their appeal with repetition in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not some terrible conspiracy that football is internationally loved and watched. It just happens because it's easy to play and has simple rules.

We had athletics, taekwondo, slalom canoe, cycling etc on TV on a regular basis in the 70s & 80s. It was called 'World of Sport' and was shown when the horse racing wasn't on and while people were waiting for the wrestling at four o'clock. Nobody watched it.

The sports about which we've rightly become excited would soon lose their appeal with repetition in my opinion.
There is something to be said for that.
But the minority sports then, didn't have the ground swell that we are currently feeling (and paid good money to get).

It definitely feels like it's now or never.
It would be a shame if we, or should that be the media, surrendered to over paid, over exposed, under achieving soccerballists.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
There is something to be said for that.
But the minority sports then, didn't have the ground swell that we are currently feeling (and paid good money to get).

It definitely feels like it's now or never.
It would be a shame if we, or should that be the media, surrendered to over paid, over exposed, under achieving soccerballists.

You're definitely right on the last point but if somebody said to you/your representative that they were prepared to pay you a ridiculous amount of money - regardless of performance/illness - because they believed you to have the potential to help make their company very successful, you'd rightly bite their arm off. I also believe that professional footballers and their families have sacrificed a huge part of their lives. It wasn't a study option at fourteen. Their training & education has been ongoing since they were five or six. Again, just my opinion.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
You're definitely right on the last point but if somebody said to you/your representative that they were prepared to pay you a ridiculous amount of money - regardless of performance/illness - because they believed you to have the potential to help make their company very successful, you'd rightly bite their arm off. I also believe that professional footballers and their families have sacrificed a huge part of their lives. It wasn't a study option at fourteen. Their training & education has been ongoing since they were five or six. Again, just my opinion.

Whereas elite performers in other sports have only been doing it 5 minutes...

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Whereas elite performers in other sports have only been doing it 5 minutes...

According to the commentators on the day, the Olympic Heavyweight Gold went to a chap who four years ago hadn't put on a pair of boxing gloves? Besides, that wasn't my point - I just don't think footballers deserve a lot of the backlash they get for earning a lot of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here