Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another driving/overcrowding thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you feel 'crammed in', here in the BN area.

I definately do but the last 2 books I've read have also really struck the same chord.

Fatty Batter - Michael Simkins was looking forward to a game of village cricket, somewhere in North Sussex. Lovely drive down, through the Downs and Weald, but the road in question was now dual carriageway, littered out of town stores. Although the journey still took longer, because of the traffic.

A Piano in the Prynees - Tony Hawks crossed the channel into the 'wide open space of Normandy, on smooth roads with minimal traffic'.

Having just come back from France, it was the one thing that really struck me, too.

I can't help thinking if petrol wasn't taxed so high, we'd be grid-locked in a few years time.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I've just come back from 10 days in Bergerac, but we flew to Nantes and drove down via an overnight stop in La Rochelle.

The roads are absolutely incredible, about 20 Euros each way in total which you gladly pay because there was just nothing on them. Straight, no litter, very little other traffic, good condition, they make driving enjoyable. Very safe as well despite the limit being 80. It seems the French invest their money in things the French need, rather then billions in unwinnable wars! Everything in France seemed to have an attraction to it, including supermarkets and shopping centres.

Over here we are just full to bursting point. Too many people driving too many cars and crap unreliable, overpriced public transport. Hideous concrete retail parks and acres of indentikit new housing development while the only decent buildings we have are torn down to build dreary high rise flats, labelled as 'living in the skies' or something equally as crap and turning out to look nothing like the artists impressions the developers feed everyone.

Today I'm on a real downer about this country. Sadly, even the French seem to have a bit more class about them.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
There are plenty of crap retail parks and housing developments in France!

And as someone who lives in one of the rather less salubrious bits of west London, I look forward to coming to Sussex to get a bit of peace, quiet and space...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I had a holiday job, to support myself at uni, helping out a friend with his little building company. We built an extension for Michael Simkins. Nice chap and an avid Sussex fan.

Brighton does not make the most of its open space. The Old Steine has so much potential, but the whole place is dominated with a steady flow of traffic sandwiching the green space. The same goes for the seafront and the stationary traffic (every weekend) that belt out fumes.

We are a car obsessed society and we need not be.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It seems the French invest their money in things the French need, rather then billions in unwinnable wars!

They just let everybody else win them for them.

I find it hard to accept comparing French road to English roads when our country fits into theirs almost 5 times

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton does not make the most of its open space. The Old Steine has so much potential, but the whole place is dominated with a steady flow of traffic sandwiching the green space. The same goes for the seafront and the stationary traffic (every weekend) that belt out fumes.

I think Brighton's going in the right direction. The pavements are getting wider and the roads are getting narrower. It's becoming a much nicer place to walk around. Reckon we'll be one of the first town centres to ban the private car. Bring it on!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was great driving last week when the kids were off. Back to gridlock on Monday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've just come back from 10 days in Bergerac, but we flew to Nantes and drove down via an overnight stop in La Rochelle.

The roads are absolutely incredible, about 20 Euros each way in total which you gladly pay because there was just nothing on them. Straight, no litter, very little other traffic, good condition, they make driving enjoyable. Very safe as well despite the limit being 80. It seems the French invest their money in things the French need, rather then billions in unwinnable wars! Everything in France seemed to have an attraction to it, including supermarkets and shopping centres.

Over here we are just full to bursting point. Too many people driving too many cars and crap unreliable, overpriced public transport. Hideous concrete retail parks and acres of indentikit new housing development while the only decent buildings we have are torn down to build dreary high rise flats, labelled as 'living in the skies' or something equally as crap and turning out to look nothing like the artists impressions the developers feed everyone.
Today I'm on a real downer about this country. Sadly, even the French seem to have a bit more class about them.

I spend a lot of time in France and once you're south of Paris the roads are fantastic, I'm guessing you used the road that goes through the centre of France though Brive and Limoges? Total autoroute cost to where I am, near Cahors, costs a total of 27 euros from Caen as the central motorway is mostly free as there are no services en route for most of the 500 mile drive I believe

As I have a French registered car I have to be careful as there are quite a few speed cameras now, but whenever I drive down in my UK registered car, it's a joy as I'm not gonna get a ticket.

Rural France is bloody fantastic, the downside is that costs have gone up quite a bit lately and the strength of the euro (about 18% up in a year) means it's not as cheap as it used to be but even so a menu du jour including wine is still between 11 and 15 euros on average for a 3 to 4 course decent meal.

I hate driving around Brighton now as it's nigh on impossible to park without paying through the nose for the privilege and a meal out, even a curry, is expensive for what you get.

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
There'd be more room in Sussex if they weren't forever building new football stadiums.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They just let everybody else win them for them.

I find it hard to accept comparing French road to English roads when our country fits into theirs almost 5 times

That is very true, and I believe a similar sized population.

But surely at some point enough has to be enough.
Over a 1000 homes have been built around Littlehampton, in the last 5 years.
Some of which on land you never knew existed, or more worryingly 3 family houses are knocked down and 20 built on the land.
But no new roads, schools, less health care.

I just worry for my beloved Sussex.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think Brighton's going in the right direction. The pavements are getting wider and the roads are getting narrower. It's becoming a much nicer place to walk around. Reckon we'll be one of the first town centres to ban the private car. Bring it on!

Bring it on, indeed. Oxford has done pretty well with the lack of private car in the city centre and it is a much more pleasant environment.

I fantasise of more pedestrianised streets. More stalls. More outdoor seating. A massive park and ride scheme located at edges of the City. An empty Kings Road on a warm summers morning. The Old Steine deserted by the car.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
So how will the shops have their goods delivered? It's all very well closing off roads to vehicles but they still expect the shops to be stocked. Then of course there is the question of removals for people changing house.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They are closing Cliffe High Street in Lewes to cars soon, how long before the shops complain about loss of trade?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Lets not forget the size of France compared to the UK. The UK is over populated and driving is slowly becoming a misery. Lets not forget some people are real lazy arses and will never bother to get out of their car.

Once the bus lanes get put in between Telscombe and Brighton, the A259 will get even worse in the mornings. As I understand it there will also be provision for cyclists, so even cycling will be quicker than the car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here