Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yet another club to increase ground capacity….

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
There’s the smaller alternative of adding rows at the back, replacing rooms. Although there are steels, they’re not roof supporting. Instead of the hospitality shelf that was planned, then put on the back burner.
Surely they will revisit the hospitality plan once the Fanzone is open. Dicks and the offices rejigged to create another lounge. Given planning already got approved it seems a no brainer

Reactions: SFO

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Forest have never been a well-supported club. What makes them think they can attract crowds of 50k? Delusional.
When they came up to the premiership there were loads of people who came out of the woodwork wearing forest tops, literally hundreds of the little scamps.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
The capacity should be increased it could then meet UEFA Category 4 regulations for "elite" European stadia. Which would increase the clubs profile on the world stage, which would create extra revenue. It's not just about bums on seats.

We already meet UEFA Category 4 requirements or we couldn't have played our Europa League games at the Amex last season as that is the requirement to host games in the group stage of European competitions (Champions League play off rounds also have to be played at a Cat 4 stadium).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With mighty Leeds anouncing an increase in Elland road’s capacity .Can we compete in the longer term with clubs with larger grounds and revenue streams.
I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Anyone can 'announce an increase'.

Bounce the thread when they've unveiled plans, have funding in place, have been granted planning permission and have a main contractor appointed.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
"We have a lot of supporters and a huge waiting list for season tickets and I'm sure a 50,000-seat stadium will be full watching our team and our passion."

Earlier this year Forest said the impasse with the council meant they were considering a move to Toton in Nottinghamshire to create a new 50,000-capacity stadium.
Crikey that's out in Long Eaton by a large nature reserve, a good two hour walk from the City.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Heard many times players saying they want to play in BIG stadiums , imho a big ground is part of the attraction for players when considering a move , and might help us be more than just a stepping stone if it were possible ? !.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
IF, and it's a big if, we continue our phenomenal upward trajectory, then we will need tens of thousands more seats eventually.

Right now, our current capacity is 'about right', although maybe slightly on the small side.

We are an established Premier League side now. If we push on and begin to become regulars in European competition - which is not unrealistic - then we there will be lots of lost potential revenue through playing in a relatively small stadium, and a lot of fans that will have to miss out on some big fixtures.

I predict that rather than moving to a new home, we will spend big bucks upgrading the Amex through clever and expensive architectural solutions, while also funding significant upgrades to transport to accommodate the tens of thousands of extra fans.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The Amex can't even handle the 36747 record from the Goldstone yet, although that would make a good target.
The Goldstone record is in excess of 40,000 , Derby county 75 i think , cup game . A bunch of us kids use to go and help out ( pick up rubbish and any dropped coins ) after a game and Frankie Howard God rest him told us straight - " I have never seen this place so full " . He believed it was over the 40 mark , good enough for me . He said he had to open the big wooden gates at the NW corner before they were broke down , all that corner was heaving .

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Yep, because Brighton and Hove is chock full of ideal sites.

This has been gone over so many times it’s getting ridiculous now. Falmer was not ideal but it was all there was.
It’s really frustrating when you hear visiting fans moaning about the location of our stadium. FFS! If they actually did a bit of research beforehand and just getting a little knowledge of where they’re heading to they might feel differently. Now we have our fans having a gripe. Tony Bloom has previously stated that he wanted a 30,000 +/- capacity stadium that will always be full rather than a 40,000 one with swathes of empty seats. Added to that you would have constraints regarding planning and transport among others.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Amex. It’s a smashing stadium, comfortable, has a great atmosphere when the team are on song. It’s our home for God’s sake and far better than some of the shit holes I have visited on away days. Some people on here have very short memories about where we came from perhaps they need reminding about that.
Right, that’s it, rant over! :rant:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What about ape
IF, and it's a big if, we continue our phenomenal upward trajectory, then we will need tens of thousands more seats eventually.

Right now, our current capacity is 'about right', although maybe slightly on the small side.

We are an established Premier League side now. If we push on and begin to become regulars in European competition - which is not unrealistic - then we there will be lots of lost potential revenue through playing in a relatively small stadium, and a lot of fans that will have to miss out on some big fixtures.

I predict that rather than moving to a new home, we will spend big bucks upgrading the Amex through clever and expensive architectural solutions, while also funding significant upgrades to transport to accommodate the tens of thousands of extra fans.
IMG_1774.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s really frustrating when you hear visiting fans moaning about the location of our stadium. FFS! If they actually did a bit of research beforehand and just getting a little knowledge of where they’re heading to they might feel differently. Now we have our fans having a gripe. Tony Bloom has previously stated that he wanted a 30,000 +/- capacity stadium that will always be full rather than a 40,000 one with swathes of empty seats. Added to that you would have constraints regarding planning and transport among others.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Amex. It’s a smashing stadium, comfortable, has a great atmosphere when the team are on song. It’s our home for God’s sake and far better than some of the shit holes I have visited on away days. Some people on here have very short memories about where we came from perhaps they need reminding about that.

Graham, thank you :lolol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Too minor things under the clubs control - Toilets in WSU are very badly laid out and far too crowded, food/drink queues good do with a serious revamp - could be sorted . Extending to 40k when we can't fill the current 31.5k is madness and as may have said parking and travel would be come much worse.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

You will NEVER find a BHAFC supporter knock Tony , but you will always find supporters who want more - ashamedly i am one , but i genuinely believe we can fill a bigger stadium . I would love it to be The Amex .

Disco Snr

Dec 20, 2022
PB mentioned at the beginning of the season a plan to move the away fans, try and break them up a bit, away from behind the goal and reduce their effect - albeit same 3k max. I guess this will be to the SE corner - any news on that? Its good we treat them well, but other clubs do their best to try and put away fans to an ineffective position, we should be doing the same.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The Goldstone record is in excess of 40,000 , Derby county 75 i think , cup game . A bunch of us kids use to go and help out ( pick up rubbish and any dropped coins ) after a game and Frankie Howard God rest him told us straight - " I have never seen this place so full " . He believed it was over the 40 mark , good enough for me . He said he had to open the big wooden gates at the NW corner before they were broke down , all that corner was heaving .
I’d check your facts if I were you. The Goldstone never had a 40,000 crowd. The record was 36,747 against Fulham back in 1958(?). There was an attendance of 35,000 when we played Chelsea in the FA Cup in 1967, and 34,000+ when we played Rochdale in the last game 1971/72 season. Believe me you wouldn’t have got a squashed moth between you and the bloke next to you, I should know my mate opened his wallet!

As for Derby County, their record attendance was just under 42,000 ever so slightly less than 75,000! :thumbsup:

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
Too minor things under the clubs control - Toilets in WSU are very badly laid out and far too crowded, food/drink queues good do with a serious revamp - could be sorted . Extending to 40k when we can't fill the current 31.5k is madness and as may have said parking and travel would be come much worse.
The toilets in the WSU aren’t too crowded - it’s just that everyone wants to have a slash at the same time! Of course they’ll be heaving just before kick off, at half time and at the end of the game. Go just after the opposition score and you’ll find the bogs a proverbial oasis of calm and tranquility.

I agree with you about the queues for food and drink. There is a real pinch point at the kiosk by the stairs at the south end of the WSU. I just wish the club would introduce a queueing system like airport check ins for example. :drink:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

During the pandemic we had a £4 million stadium extension plan put on hold. I believe some of the work has now been done including filling in some corners but the plan for more atmosphere sapping prawn sandwich seats in the North wasn't done. If they can add a 270 person hospitality suite in the North, they could add a lot more peasant seats.

EDIT:

Covered here with plans etc: http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/amex-expansion.378368/

Mostly hospitality in the plans, but also discusses the fanzine

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here