Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yesterday was probably the most embarrassing day as an Albion supporter

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Couldnt go and wasnt aware until seeing the reports that Gus had given it a go with his substitutions at 3-1. The ITV highlights that I saw didnt make this clear and they probably didnt understand. The Palace result at home depressed me, Sunday doesnt!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I don't necessarily agree, but I do kind of know what the OP means. It was because it was so high profile, live on TV, plus the comedy defending, the record three own goals etc. No one in the wider football world would have heard or particularly cared about, say, the Huddersfield mauling, which was undoubtedly a worse result for all the reasons people have stated. Just wish we'd tried to keep it tight at the back when it went to 3-1. We were never going to win once it got to that scoreline, but at least it wouldn't have been quite as bad or as confidence-shattering for the team.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Every newspaper with sports page headlines along the lines of Liverpool Thrash Brighton; Seagulls Overwhelmed; etc; constant stories about the 3 own-goals; together with photos of Lewis Dunk's own goal juggling act. Impossible to escape the humiliation of it all. In fact I think Dunk's photo was in every single newspaper together with very unflattering tag lines. Hope the lad isn't too depressed.

If we had kept it at 0-3 it would have been acceptable and one own-goal OK.

The good news is that it can surely get no worse than this.

Just hoping that all our loan players haven't decided they're now so embarrassed to be on loan at Brighton that they request an immediate return to their own clubs!
:shrug:

None of this^^^ embarrassed me. I enjoyed the match (not the result) and the day. Can't wait for the day when we're having trips like that every other week.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
There is absolutely no comparison. 5-0 league defeats happen. Only a relatively small number of saddos care whether that defeat is against Palace or Brentford. That defeat was not all over the national papers? Don't think we had three own goals?

This one was a high profile mauling!

And 6-1 cup defeats happen too. So what if it was in the national papers?

You are coming across as really neurotic.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
YEah I thoroughly enjoyed sunday, ok the result was a bit of a downer but I enjoyed the game and admired the way liverpool played, the skill of suarez and gerrard. I went mental when Kaz scored and at the end of the game I went out and had a few and enjoyed an evening out in Liverpool. Not once did I feel embarassed even talking football in Jamie Carraghers restaurant which was full of Liverpool fans. The only people who have taken the piss are Liverpool fans who I have now seen more games live at their home ground than they have and I reminded them of that fact and funnily enough the piss taking stopped.

Losing 5-0 to palace however was humiliating and I had the piss ripped out of me by palace fans for weeks after and I hated it.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread but felt the need to reply. If this is your most embarrassing day ever then you aint be around long. Bristol Rovers 2-8, Palace 5-0, Huddersfield 1-7. There are so many more emabarrassing than Liverpool, & every report I read said that the result flattered Liverpool but we did most of the damage ourselves.

Does anyone remember a league cup game, I think it was Southend, could have been Fulham, maybe in the 80's. I'm quite sure we lost on penalties & they had an outfield player in goal. Now that's embarrassing.

What are you gonna do, support another team? It's life as a Brighton fan but recent success has dulled people's memories.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
And what's worse, on the same day, Stevenage of League One, who only five years ago were a Sunday pub side (well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean) managed to hold Spurs (who are above Liverpool in the league) to a 0-0 draw.

I think you've been satisfactorily answered on this thread by everyone, but to specifically address the Stevenage point, they play a hoof-ball, get stuck in, bobbly-pitch kind of game that is perfectly suited to a cup upset like that. We don't. On the other hand, their brand of football won't get them competing in the championship

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
More embarrasing than:

Losing at Kingstonian in the Cup?

Losing at home to 9-man Walsall under Mickey Adams II?

Losing 0-4 at home to Walton + Hersham in the Cup?

losing 2-8 at home to Bristol Rovers?

etc. etc.

Get real fella. #FFS

PG

You forgot the cup defeat at home to Sudbury Town-knocked out by a f***ing postie penalty.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Would you rather Liverpool played their reserves & kids just so you wouldn't feel embarrassed ? you poor sensitive soul. Personally I'd rather loose 6 - 1 to their first team especially with the "f*** it, lets have a go" attitude Gus showed with the substitutions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our most embarrassing day was after losing 9 -0 at Middlesbro or not sure cant remember if it was 8-0 or 8-1 away to Northampton. Or possibly losing 8-2 at home to Bristol Rovers where Warbouys and Bannister (smash & grab) went berserk.

Jan 30, 2008
can't be arsed to read the whole thread but felt the need to reply. If this is your most embarrassing day ever then you aint be around long. Bristol rovers 2-8, palace 5-0, huddersfield 1-7. There are so many more emabarrassing than liverpool, & every report i read said that the result flattered liverpool but we did most of the damage ourselves.

Does anyone remember a league cup game, i think it was southend, could have been fulham, maybe in the 80's. I'm quite sure we lost on penalties & they had an outfield player in goal. Now that's embarrassing.

What are you gonna do, support another team? It's life as a brighton fan but recent success has dulled people's memories.

jcl's smudge.......................... :wanker:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Nah , sunday was embarassing but surely losing 5 - 0 to your rivals is the ultimate .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Every newspaper with sports page headlines along the lines of Liverpool Thrash Brighton; Seagulls Overwhelmed; etc; constant stories about the 3 own-goals; together with photos of Lewis Dunk's own goal juggling act. Impossible to escape the humiliation of it all. In fact I think Dunk's photo was in every single newspaper together with very unflattering tag lines. Hope the lad isn't too depressed.

If we had kept it at 0-3 it would have been acceptable and one own-goal OK.

The good news is that it can surely get no worse than this.

Just hoping that all our loan players haven't decided they're now so embarrassed to be on loan at Brighton that they request an immediate return to their own clubs!

Far far away from the worst

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The humiliation of losing to the Nigels in September was a whole lot worse. Liverpool are a top 6 Premier League side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Posted this on the wrong thread but what about one of McGhee's last games when we lost 4 - 0 at Withdean, can't remember who against but I am sure somebody will tell me, when we played awful with no passion or effort.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What a rubbish post. Clearly, nobody wanted to lose like that, but "most embarrassing day"? Not in a million years. I had a couple of people at work ask me about it as they knew I went, but we just had a laugh about it. To be honest, the three OG thing makes it slightly easier because people tend to think of OGs as unlucky (whether true or not). They're thinking that we had a massive dose of misfortune, which is easier to play along with, as if anything we were lucky not to concede more.

After the Palace home game, I was pissed off for DAYS. The 5-0 defeat at Castle Greyskull was WAY worse. Losing 7-1 at a side in the same division as us was horrific (albeit entertaining). Losing 4-0 at "home", 70 miles away, to sodding DARLINGTON a few years ago really is humiliating.

And besides: it's only the FA Cup. Nobody except us will even remember the result in a month, much less the end of the season. It will be forgotten in no time, so long as our league form doesn't suffer. Seriously: if that's the most humilating thing that's ever happened to you as an Albion supporter, you must have either (a) only started supporting two months ago or (b) live an incredibly successful and fulfilled life, in which case I congratulate you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here