Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yeovil player ratings

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ankegren - 8 - looked solid and commanding, couple of good saves late on when others had perhaps lapsed in concentration slightly. Always looking to pass it out which is great.

Calde - 9 - Cracking performance, really got up and back, superb goal.
Painter - 8 - Would've been lower as gave the ball away a few times, however his crossfield ball for Calde's goal was sublime.

Greer - 7.5 - Solid, good in possession. Very assuring.
El Abd/Elphick - 7.5 - Solid the both of them, good header from Elphick in the second half.

Bennett - 7.5 - Worked his arse off as always, plenty of teasing crosses and you could see he was disappointed not the create more at the end. Committed player.
LuaLua - 8 - Even though his end product isn't always brilliant, he gets himself into those positions time and again and at League One level will cause any team a problem. Good cross for Murray's gal.

Dicker - 9 (MOM) - Utter class. By far the best passer of the ball we have, would start most moves in motion.
Kish - 7 - Struggled early on, at times look behind the pace, but positional awareness meant he wasn't beaten too often.

Barnes - 6.5 - I'm not going to slate him because he clearly works hard, but I feel sometimes he's not quite up to the slick passing game our other front 5-6 players play. A goal could bring some confidence, no time to lay into him though, young lad remember.
Murray - 8.5 - Brilliant defensively today, got his head onto almost every set piece of theirs. Well taken goal and could've had more.

Poyet - 9

Ref - 8 - Thought he was good actually, kept the game flowing as much as possible when some firm challenges were flying in in the middle of the park.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Ankegren - 8 - looked solid and commanding, couple of good saves late on when others had perhaps lapsed in concentration slightly. Always looking to pass it out which is great.

Painter - 8 - Would've been lower as gave the ball away a few times, however his crossfield ball for Calde's goal was sublime.

El Abd/Elphick - 7.5 - Solid the both of them, good header from Elphick in the second half.

Bennett - 7.5 - Worked his arse off as always, plenty of teasing crosses and you could see he was disappointed not the create more at the end. Committed player.
LuaLua - 8 - Even though his end product isn't always brilliant, he gets himself into those positions time and again and at League One level will cause any team a problem. Good cross for Murray's gal.

Dicker - 9 (MOM) - Utter class. By far the best passer of the ball we have, would start most moves in motion.
Kish - 7 - Struggled early on, at times look behind the pace, but positional awareness meant he wasn't beaten too often.

Barnes - 6.5 - I'm not going to slate him because he clearly works hard, but I feel sometimes he's not quite up to the slick passing game our other front 5-6 players play. A goal could bring some confidence, no time to lay into him though, young lad remember.
Murray - 8.5 - Brilliant defensively today, got his head onto almost every set piece of theirs. Well taken goal and could've had more.

Poyet - 9

Ref - 8 - Thought he was good actually, kept the game flowing as much as possible when some firm challenges were flying in in the middle of the park.

This

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Poyet - 9

El-Abd looked a little shaky today I thought, Elphick was class when he came on. As for our full backs, there cant be many better outside of the Prem.

Barnes looked better than a 6.5 & Kish better than a 7, Bennett was a little disappointing for me.

MOM by an absolute mile was Gus. We backed off Yeovil so much, they had to try and play football, which they soon discovered they were shit at. If we'd pressed them all over the pitch they would have had to start lumping it and would have given us a much harder game.

Right about the ref today, very good.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with most of the marks but thought that we didnt look so assured as a team when Elphick replaced El Abd and hope that he is fit for next week against Peterborough. Think that he wins as many balls in the air, is better on the ground tackling and also makes more space for Greer and Ankregren to start moves from the back. It augers well for the team when any of about 6 players could have been voted MOM.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
7 all round (solid performance basically) but 8 for Barnes (he was basically a right winger and worked bloody hard) and a 9 for Murray who I thought was a different class.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Would agree but thought Kish played some brilliant passes today, and Barnes deserves better then a 6.5, just needed a bit of luck and would have got a couple- created space for Murray well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have never felt comfortable with Ankergren. Not because he doesn't come for crosses, but because he looks nervous not coming for them, and he never seems to come for balls he should (just simple balls such as an opposing goalkeeper overkicking it and the ball trickling towards the area with no pressure, then his not coming for it causes pressure as their forwards realise the ball is free and starting to chase what should have been the keeper's ball). However, today I didn't once feel nervous about him, not even the dodgy moments when he was exposed by some lapses in defence.

In the first half it seemed like yeovil didn't come with what had become a typical withdean opposition game plan of putting all 11 men behind the ball which made for a better game, or would have with a better albion performance in the first half.

It seemed in the first half like we had gone backward in our development into a passing team, either trying too hard, trying to pass it too fast, feeling under pressure to repeat last week's form or whatever, it just wasn't happening. I think the goal and/or the half time talk seemed to settle them and they came out better and seemed to find their targets.

Dicker has some marvellous footwork, which makes the large radius when he turns a player all the more comic, to me. Seriously, he turned players a couple of times and both times the path of his turn was a circle probably half as big as the centre circle. That amused me.

I think Barnes has a great understanding with Murray, and the passing between them can be quite fantastic, such as the beautiful 1-2 that set Murray up for a saved shot.

The first goal I was surprised it happened. The cross looked like it was miss hit and off target, then it floated perfectly to Murray, then Murray headed it and I thought the goalkeeper stopped trying because the ball looked to me to be going wide. Even as it went i my initial thought was "oh it's one of those that look like it's gone in and the fans cheer then the other fans make fun of the for it" then I realised it had gone in. It was a pleasant surprise

I've never been easily impressed by goals. I see goal of the weeks and think "m'eh, it's ok, but nothing special". But Calderons... I loved everything about it, the discipline of Calderon to stay so wide, the awareness of Painter to use him, and the accuracy of the pass. The control of the take down with his right foot, the movement of calderon to earn the space, then curling it in with his left foot, all from a right back. Brilliant.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
7 all round (solid performance basically) but 8 for Barnes (he was basically a right winger and worked bloody hard) and a 9 for Murray who I thought was a different class.

i thought Barnes had a very good game today and is starting to form an effective partnership with Murray. When Barnes drops deep the defenders dont know whether to follow him or stay back either leaving Murray with a one on one, or leaving Barnes as a free player in midfield.

...and Painter is rapidly becoming my favourite player - Mr Cool and sheer class

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Was Dicker considered by most to be MOM today? I f*cking love Dicker such good feet.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agree with mellotron mostly though thought Dicker had an off game and was surprised he got MOM. Still think he's ace though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Poyet - 9

Agreed with that. Maybe the ref was worth a 9? He was arguably the best ref I've seen at Withdean

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agreed with that. Maybe the ref was worth a 9? He was arguably the best ref I've seen at Withdean

Missed the push on Barnes just as he was about to shoot in the first half which would have been a penalty but overall he was good and allowed the game to flow and see if the team gained possession before blowing for a foul.

Think he should have given their 21 (JP Kalasa) a 2nd yellow near the end for a rough challenge so a 7 from me for his performance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

But should have booked Kalala 3 times instead of just once which would have left us playing 10 men for the last 20 minutes and should have awarded a penalty for the push on Barnes.

A 6 for me

edit: beaten to it by BG

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But should have booked Kalala 3 times instead of just once which would have left us playing 10 men for the last 20 minutes and should have awarded a penalty for the push on Barnes.

I know the commentators made a small issue of a handball by him late in the game saying if it had been any other player he would have been booked. I don't think that's true for two reasons: 1) deliberate handling of the ball is not a cautionable infringement, it's how that handball affects the game (i.e. if it denies a goal scoring opportunity, or an obvious goal etc.) 2) another player deliberately handled the ball earlier in the game and the ref just gave a free kick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here