Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Yellow cards for spitting

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/why-do-i-produce-so-much-saliva-when-i-go-for-a-run/

"The various studies that have looked at this actually show conflicting results. It seems that a short jog in cold weather results in more saliva, while a marathon on a warm day actually reduces saliva production. Your body may initially be trying to offset the drying effect of the extra mouth breathing, but over longer periods dehydration sets in and your body reduces saliva production to conserve water.

All exercise, regardless of the intensity, also makes you secrete more of a protein called MUC5B. This makes your saliva more sticky and viscous, which contributes to that dry mouth feeling you can get after exercising"

This goes so way to explaining why footballers spit but tennis players do not. I do agree though that some players seem to do it to excess.

Tends to be my experience - definitely worse in cold weather. I think it's also a bit habit-forming (hence managers doing it I guess).

Yes, much worse in the cold so not an issue for tennis or squash.

I would add that, as Dazzer knows, I'm a regular runner as well. Spitting in races is an absolute no-no as you have people all around you, but sometimes it's all but impossible. The Brighton Half in 2018 was run in the Beast From The East, zero degrees at the start with an Easterly breeze. I'd had a cough back in January (race is end of Feb) that I thought I'd absolutely got over but at about 10 miles I simply had to pull over to one side and cough and, well, you don't exactly run with a box of tissues. In this years Brighton Marathon I took too few energy gels with me and, again, there was a cold Easterly. You should test brands of gel as people have different reactions to them but I decided to get an untested Lucozade gel from an aid station. It was disgusting and my stomach instantly rejected it. I must have looked a right state.

So, if you take the OP to the logical extreme James Wilson would have been sent off in virtually every game he played for us because we either insisted on playing him when he was unwell or he too had reactions to sports suppliments (from the look of him and the fact he's disappeared I would suggest it was the former).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes, much worse in the cold so not an issue for tennis or squash.

I would add that, as Dazzer knows, I'm a regular runner as well. Spitting in races is an absolute no-no as you have people all around you, but sometimes it's all but impossible. The Brighton Half in 2018 was run in the Beast From The East, zero degrees at the start with an Easterly breeze. I'd had a cough back in January (race is end of Feb) that I thought I'd absolutely got over but at about 10 miles I simply had to pull over to one side and cough and, well, you don't exactly run with a box of tissues. In this years Brighton Marathon I took too few energy gels with me and, again, there was a cold Easterly. You should test brands of gel as people have different reactions to them but I decided to get an untested Lucozade gel from an aid station. It was disgusting and my stomach instantly rejected it. I must have looked a right state.

So, if you take the OP to the logical extreme James Wilson would have been sent off in virtually every game he played for us because we either insisted on playing him when he was unwell or he too had reactions to sports suppliments (from the look of him and the fact he's disappeared I would suggest it was the former).

I was wondering the other day what had happened to him. Seems that after a loan spell at Aberdeen last season, he signed on permanently there in the summer. 9 games, 0 goals so far.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I played football for 25 years and not once did I have to spit.

You actually see managers do it constantly which is horrible.

Alex Neil is the worst I have seen for spitting constantly. Most managers I know will have at some time damaged vocal cords and often have to have a small operation to correct it but I am not aware of any reason which suggests that constantly spitting helps avoid the need for such operations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here