SUNNY SEAFORD
There is no question.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Answer the Question.

:shrug:

Fri Jun 13, 8:23 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Prime Minister Gordon Brown demanded an end to violence and repression in Zimbabwe on Friday, as President Robert Mugabe stoked up civil war talk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brown, alarmed by the numbers killed, arrested and displaced, said the situation in Zimbabwe was "deteriorating" in the run-up to the June 27 presidential election run-off.

"It is time for an end to violence, an end to repression, the restoration of aid and for free and fair elections in Zimbabwe," Brown said at his Downing Street office in London, following talks there with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

"It is essential that the international community is united in demanding that the UN agencies and the non-governmental organisations are able to continue their work of mercy."

Calling for more international observers to be invited in, Brown said: "It is also important that election observers are allowed to deploy and operate effectively and we must work to ensure that these elections ... are fair and free and that the level of violence in the country is diminished."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Since when has Gordon Brown been 'left'?

Anyway, just leaving that aside for a moment, we can't actually do much in Zimbabwe short of invading (which we will never do) because we don't have the moral authority.

Lunatic murderer though Mugabe is, when he plays the old colonial/race card as he always does, incredibly it seems to plays well with many black Zimbabweans.

I'm reminded of that old quote which goes roughly for evil to triumph it takes only for good men to do nothing. South Africa, take a bow. Mbeki has just got to forget about the black thing for a while, and concentrate more on the fact that Mugabe is killing people who oppose him. It wasn't so long ago that Mbeki and his mob were on the wrong end of that sort of treatment themselves.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
How much oil have we got from Afghanistan then? or the Falklands?

Afghanistan has a major pipeline running through it that the Americans need to control.

At the time of the Falklands (which was a different case scenario anyway becuase British territory had actually been invaded) there was much speculation about oil in their offshore waters. Do a search for Falklands oil on Google and you'll find they're now almost ready to start drilling. 60 billion barrels is the estimated amount waiting.

HTH

Last edited:

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Afghanistan has a major pipeline running through it that the Americans need to control.

At the time of the Falklands (which was a different case scenario anyway becuase British territory had actually been invaded) there was much speculation about oil in their offshore waters.

HTH

Why do the Americans want or need oil ?? They are sitting on enough of their own And as for the Falklands that's all it ever was speculation

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Why do the Americans want or need oil ??

Are you SERIOUSLY asking that? Oil means money.

They are sitting on enough of their own

Actually, they're not, and it's a huge problem for them.

From wikipedia:

" If the United States had to supply its entire demand of 21 million barrels per day (3.3×106 m3/d) without resorting to foreign imports, existing US reserves would last only three years at the current rate of consumption."

Oil is running out, but two thirds of what's left is in the Middle East. Hardly good news for the US.

And as for the Falklands that's all it ever was speculation

Latest estimates put the amount of offshore oil around the Falklands at 60 billion barrels. To put that in perspective, that's around three times as much as is thought to still lie under US soil. THat's the whole of the US, including offshore sites and Alaska.

Don't take my word for it, pick just about any link from here:

falklands oil - Google Search

You'll find the same info from a huge variety of sources.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Are you SERIOUSLY asking that? Oil means money.

Actually, they're not, and it's a huge problem for them.

From wikipedia:

" If the United States had to supply its entire demand of 21 million barrels per day (3.3×106 m3/d) without resorting to foreign imports, existing US reserves would last only three years at the current rate of consumption."

Oil is running out, but two thirds of what's left is in the Middle East. Hardly good news for the US.

f*** me i didn't know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest estimates put the amount of offshore oil around the Falklands at 60 billion barrels. To put that in perspective, that's around three times as much as is thought to still lie under US soil. THat's the whole of the US, including offshore sites and Alaska.

Don't take my word for it, pick just about any link from here:

falklands oil - Google Search

You'll find the same info from a huge variety of sources.

Why in hells name are we not producing this at a massive rate bringing much needed cash into the economy then??

Answer the Question.

I've been anything but quiet on this subject. And in fact I'm listening to radio 4 now and Peter Hain is repeating his comments about mugabe.

Do you actually know the roots of Mugabe's hatred of the UK by any chance? Or are you ignorant of the reasons behind Mugabes hatred which involve the death of one his loved family members, caused by a British government?

Can I give you a hint btw. It wasn't a labour government.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Why in hells name are we not producing this at a massive rate bringing much needed cash into the economy then??

Progress is being made, but it's not exactly the easiest environment to drill for oil though. Storms, extreme cold in winter, a delicate and preserved ecosystem and a hostile government right next door.

There was an Anglo-Argentinian deal for exporation and profit sharing, but Argentina pulled out of it.

Read some of the links, there's a lot of info there.

Fork Me

That's right, the US, and in turn the UK, need stability of Western control in those regions. Actually, if that control were to be relinquished, we could be looking at total World instability and war. Israel would be descended upon first, of course.
Oil is of paramount importance at the foundation of all this - but we are not in there so we can just take it. Yet.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Hang on just a second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brainwave that might just break NSC rules and make sense

Water being the most abundant compound on earth is Hydrogen & Oxygen Both used in rocket fuel. Cheap to convert? Already we have Hydrogen & Oxygen engines so DER why have we not switched??

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Hang on just a second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brainwave that might just break NSC rules and make sense

Water being the most abundant compound on earth is Hydrogen & Oxygen Both used in rocket fuel. Cheap to convert? Already we have Hydrogen & Oxygen engines so DER why have we not switched??

Hydrogen engines are still not brilliant for car use. The other problem is that getting hydrogen from water requires huge amounts of electrical energy.

Most of our electricity is obtained by burning oil and gas.

Back to square one!

Actually, it's not quite that bad. Hydrogen fuel probably IS the way forward, especially as burning it produces pure water. There is still a LOT of work to be done though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here