Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

XP User Account Question

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I want to set up an account for my 2 year old who has started using the computer.

What I want is an account where he has no ability to delete any files, but want to minimise problems for other users. Is there a way where other users can carry on without having to do anything different while the new account cannot delete / overwrite existing files?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I am using Vista, but I guess XP would be the same:

here is info from the help section:

What is a standard user account?

A standard user account lets a person use most of the capabilities of the computer, but permission from an administrator is required if you want to make changes that affect other users or the security of the computer.

When you use a standard account, you can use most programs that are installed on the computer, but you can't install or uninstall software and hardware, delete files that are required for the computer to work, or change settings on the computer that affect other users. If you're using a standard account, some programs might require you to provide an administrator password before you can perform certain tasks.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Thanks for that. Already had a limited account for my other son. Just did not realise that it stopped him deleting files on the external drive by default. But just tested it and it only allows him to delete files that he has created so all is good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here