Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas Pressie - Tablet

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Happy to accept your conclusions, but really is the difference in price worth it to surf the web, check emails and play games/movies ?

It's not about what it can do... it's about the logo on it and the smug feeling that some seem to derive from it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is the new ipad worth more than double the price of a Samsung though?

I'm only going to make one post on Apple-ness on this thread, and I shall then back out gracefully and leave others to it.

For many people, the premium price of an Apple product is not worth it and I have no interest in trying to convince them otherwise. For others, it is. Reasons will vary for different use cases, but are likely to include some of...

- Existing investment in iOS ecosystem, be it on an iPod Touch, iPhone or, perhaps, an earlier iPad.
- The quality of the iOS ecosystem where tablet-specific apps are highly advanced. Android is still playing catch-up here, although they will get there clearly.
- Build quality.
- Re-sale value. Apple kit holds money like nothing else, allowing a relatively pain-free upgrade path once you've made that initial investment.
- Post-purchase support. Apple will support you like no other manufacturer, from hands-on training to get the most from your purchase, through to resolution of issues further down the line. I'm not sure there are many other manufacturers who would replace, free of charge, a product you'd dropped on concrete.
- Security. The vetting that goes into App Store apps is unsurpassed. Something rogue might slip in occasionally, but on Android the scale of the problem is far more significant.

I'm not interested in debating the value of these to those who are happy with a far cheaper Android device. Good for them, more fool me etc etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm only going to make one post on Apple-ness on this thread, and I shall then back out gracefully and leave others to it.

For many people, the premium price of an Apple product is not worth it and I have no interest in trying to convince them otherwise. For others, it is. Reasons will vary for different use cases, but are likely to include some of...

- Existing investment in iOS ecosystem, be it on an iPod Touch, iPhone or, perhaps, an earlier iPad.
- The quality of the iOS ecosystem where tablet-specific apps are highly advanced. Android is still playing catch-up here, although they will get there clearly.
- Build quality.
- Re-sale value. Apple kit holds money like nothing else, allowing a relatively pain-free upgrade path once you've made that initial investment.
- Post-purchase support. Apple will support you like no other manufacturer, from hands-on training to get the most from your purchase, through to resolution of issues further down the line. I'm not sure there are many other manufacturers who would replace, free of charge, a product you'd dropped on concrete.
- Security. The vetting that goes into App Store apps is unsurpassed. Something rogue might slip in occasionally, but on Android the scale of the problem is far more significant.

I'm not interested in debating the value of these to those who are happy with a far cheaper Android device. Good for them, more fool me etc etc.

Wise words.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My experience with Android tablets is that they are slightly lacking, I have done a comparison between an ipad 3 and a galaxy tab 2 10". THe build quality is far superior on the apple, the performance is better and everything works far better. Something a simple as scrolling down through NSC on the Samsung was a little glitchy and it seemed like it was struggling to keep up whereas the ipad was responsive and never once seemed to struggle.

For me the big advatage though is it fits in with my other apple products, being able to mirror the ipad to the TV with apple TV and use of the icloud features such as photostream with the phone and the mac is fantastic and worth the premium to me.

Both devices were great but the ipad is clearly the better device and for that you pay a premium regardless of the logo, in fact mine lives in a case so you can't see the logo or anything like that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in a bar a while back and some bloke next to me was stabbing his phone with his finger saying "I am pressing the f***ing screen." He the proceeded to hit it on the bar. Suffice to say it wasn't an iPhone.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
My experience with Android tablets is that they are slightly lacking, I have done a comparison between an ipad 3 and a galaxy tab 2 10". THe build quality is far superior on the apple, the performance is better and everything works far better. Something a simple as scrolling down through NSC on the Samsung was a little glitchy and it seemed like it was struggling to keep up whereas the ipad was responsive and never once seemed to struggle.

For me the big advatage though is it fits in with my other apple products, being able to mirror the ipad to the TV with apple TV and use of the icloud features such as photostream with the phone and the mac is fantastic and worth the premium to me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I am the reverse to this but use the same logic.

We are a samsung familty .2 smart tv's Galaxy smart phones which interact with each other , and I have just bought my twin daughters Galaxy pad 2 10.1

I think the key for me is , although we like Samsung we are not locked in , in the way Apple users seem to be. I don't have to rely on i tunes and I also have expandible memory on all my products.
Absolutly love the way samsung is going.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I am the reverse to this but use the same logic.

We are a samsung familty .2 smart tv's Galaxy smart phones which interact with each other , and I have just bought my twin daughters Galaxy pad 2 10.1

I think the key for me is , although we like Samsung we are not locked in , in the way Apple users seem to be. I don't have to rely on i tunes and I also have expandible memory on all my products.
Absolutly love the way samsung is going.

I think thats the key, the best option is dependant on what else you have and what your requirements are. That said I am planning on getting a samsung smart tv in the january sales although it looks like I can use my ipad to control it so I'm happy with that.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

- Build quality.

Sounds a good justification and fair reasoning indeed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My experience with Android tablets is that they are slightly lacking.

Indeed. You should try those ones with a little dove on 'em. Much better.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Someone at work really wanted to show me a funny video on YouTube. The phone wouldn't respond at all. It wasn't an Android.

My fault mate..can't get the hang of the youtube app on it !!!

Crosley_CR-93_Sultan_Antique_Telephone_web.jpg

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Can anyone tell me what the point of them is? I'm genuinely interested. I see a smartphone and laptop as essentials but can't imagine why anyone would want tablet.

I was the same could not see the point that was until the wife wanted one which I got for her birthday within two or three days I was so impressed I went out and got one for myself Apple Ipad it's fantastic since I got it in May 2012 I have not used the home PC once, portable light simple to user Instant start up grat battery life books videos NSC TV email apps the list just goes on and on

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
The main reason tablets can't replace laptops is storage. I've got around a terabyte(1024 gb) of pics, files and tunes, u only get 32gb on a tablet.
Also Football manger on the pc is awesome, on the tablet/phone it's pony.
My samsung laptop cost me £369, FM2013 cost me about £25. don't "need" a tablet.
However, i have an 2nd hand ipad1 and i watch loads of netflix on it.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is faster than my ipad.

I will probably get a Nexus7 and give the ipad to my iphone5 owner wife. But I'm not in a rush!

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I'm in the "can I really justify a tablet" camp - been in IT for years, used to build PCs and had a decent spec laptop for the last 7 or 8 years. Upgraded from an HTC Wildfire to a Samsung Galaxy S3 when they were released. Couldn't really see why I would need a tablet when my laptop does everything I need.

Then I made the mistake of going into a local Comet that was closing down, and everything had 30% off - and they had one Nexus 7 left in stock. Decided to throw caution to the wind and snap it up! Doesn't necessarily do anything that my phone can't do, but it's just nicer to have something a bit bigger when playing games or watching videos. Also use it as a nicely portable radio with the "TuneIn" app (free) so I can listen live to one of my favourite radio stations from when I worked in Greece, or switch to a bit of Kerrang. Super portable so I can preload it with some South Park episodes (simple drag & drop from Windows via USB with no conversion) which play perfectly on the VLC Video Player app (free). The OP also asked about word processing - Android does display all Office documents straight out of the box, but to edit you can download some decent Office simulation software (free) and print to any shared network printer quite happily with minimal effort.

So, didn't really NEED a tablet, but happy to have one in my life. I would still use the laptop primarily for editing office documents though, since I prefer typing on a proper keyboard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My Ipad has just arrived!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here