Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wu Lyf

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the feeling about this lot? Emperor's new-ish clothes or over hyped nonsense? I love the singers style and they did an excellent and cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game which exploited his voice to the max.

The kids (seemed to be posh BHASVIC types mainly) love 'em as did the one who stood on my already bruised toe.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
posh BHASVIC types

What an odd thing to say. I went to BHASVIC 10 years ago and I wouldn't describe the people there as posh, it's mainly just kids from state schools.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What an odd thing to say. I went to BHASVIC 10 years ago and I wouldn't describe the people there as posh, it's mainly just kids from state schools.

Fair point. I'll reword it to excitable A level students then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone want to comment on the music?

hunter121

Banned
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.
10.jpg

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I've been listening to the album on and off for a couple of months. TBH I think they sound distinctive enough that the album would've got decent coverage, even if they hadn't had all the type and mystery for six months prior to its release.

Worth keeping an eye on, in my view - there's definitely more to them than good media management, they use a range of styles really well on the album. But few tracks really stand out as yet, and these days that's what you need to make a real breakthrough.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
They have a great website.

Did not get to see them last night for various reasons but enjoying their sound.

One of the best live bands around at the moment are playing concorde on Tuesday. British Sea Power.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have a great website.

Did not get to see them last night for various reasons but enjoying their sound.

One of the best live bands around at the moment are playing concorde on Tuesday. British Sea Power.

I have never been a fan of BSP. Their music doesn't do it for me but I respect them. I do not understand them either, as they have one of the most loyal and fanatical fan bases I currently know of.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to the album on and off for a couple of months. TBH I think they sound distinctive enough that the album would've got decent coverage, even if they hadn't had all the type and mystery for six months prior to its release.

Worth keeping an eye on, in my view - there's definitely more to them than good media management, they use a range of styles really well on the album. But few tracks really stand out as yet, and these days that's what you need to make a real breakthrough.

Thanks. I'm going to see if I can find a copy of the Isaak cover. That was good.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have never been a fan of BSP. Their music doesn't do it for me but I respect them. I do not understand them either, as they have one of the most loyal and fanatical fan bases I currently know of.

I got into them several years ago when they played at The Old Market. A mate encouraged me along and I have been a huge fan since. Live they are at their very best and most entertaining- in the early days the set would often end in organised bedlum. I saw them play Regents Park Open Air Theatre and witnessing the panic on the security faces when they realised what they had let themselves in will stay with me forever. I love them!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got into them several years ago when they played at The Old Market. A mate encouraged me along and I have been a huge fan since. Live they are at their very best and most entertaining- in the early days the set would often end in organised bedlum. I saw them play Regents Park Open Air Theatre and witnessing the panic on the security faces when they realised what they had let themselves in will stay with me forever. I love them!

A friend of a friend went on a pre-gig ramble with them a year or so ago. Ramble as in walk in the woods, no the type I often engage in which is blathering on about something no one is interested in. As I say, I do respect them but I cannot connect with the music although flags and lucifer are fine songs.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Fine Songs indeed.
The Decline Of British Sea Power- album number one- is the best however and the one I recommend to enlighten the masses!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Strikes me they're just a bit savvy. Playing on the Witch house/OFWGKTA blogging hype with their name/image/video, but sounding, i'd reckon, little more than a bunch of northerners playing Polyphonic Spree covers. Still, the kids love 'em. Weirdly, reminds me LOTS of Kasabian when they first came out. Which can't be a good thing.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Strikes me they're just a bit savvy. Playing on the Witch house/OFWGKTA blogging hype with their name/image/video, but sounding, i'd reckon, little more than a bunch of northerners playing Polyphonic Spree covers. Still, the kids love 'em. Weirdly, reminds me LOTS of Kasabian when they first came out. Which can't be a good thing.

Reminds you of Kasabian? I dont hear or see that myself. Mind you I was once convinced I could hear New Order in the first Arcade Fire album. It was about 4am though. I've not heard it since either.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Reminds you of Kasabian? I dont hear or see that myself. Mind you I was once convinced I could hear New Order in the first Arcade Fire album. It was about 4am though. I've not heard it since either.

I think the New Order/Arcade Fire thing has come about more recently. There's definitely more of an 80s feel to the Arcade Fire over the last 2 albums.
Going back to WU LYF/Kasabian. I think they just remind me of the kinda baggy-influenced sound Kasabian had, mixed with the decent videos and political undertones. It's perhaps not an obvious comparison, i just feel that if Kasabian were a new band, they'd come across and sound more like WU LYF. I dare say WU LYF would rather die than be compared to them, and i don't for a minute think they've been an influence. Just, something about them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here