Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WTF Has happened.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But I don't think we are really playing tippy tappy football at the moment, passing the ball between 2 central defenders 10 times, gaining no ground, and eventually lauching it forward is not tippy tappy. Watched both Spain & Barca recently and they simply don't do this. Almost every pass is positive and incisive, their movement in midfield is amazing and there are always great options for the player with the ball and they work bloody hard to play that way. Contrast that with us last night, loads of possession but achieved bugger all most of the time. We could still be playing now and not have created a decent chance. The problem is that at this level we haven't got players who think and move quickly enough to play the sort of tippy tappy that would scare decent championship sides. Our first thought is to pass the ball backwards, usually our players are facing our goal when they receive the ball, so the ball inevitably ends up with a defender who is then put under pressure and has to make a hurried clearance. It's not that tippy tappy is wrong, clearly when you watch Spain/Barca it's totally the right way to play, we just need better players to play that way effectively at this level, or we adjust our style to suit the strengths of the players we have got.

As good an analysis as I've ever seen of the shortcomings of our current style. And "But we're not Spain/Barca" doesn't change the validity of the analysis one little bit.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Although we lost last night , the football on display was enjoyable to watch. For the majority of us our expectations are back to where they should be , we cannot emulate Barcelona/Real Madrid overnight , it will take a while.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But I don't think we are really playing tippy tappy football at the moment, passing the ball between 2 central defenders 10 times, gaining no ground, and eventually lauching it forward is not tippy tappy. Watched both Spain & Barca recently and they simply don't do this. Almost every pass is positive and incisive, their movement in midfield is amazing and there are always great options for the player with the ball and they work bloody hard to play that way. Contrast that with us last night, loads of possession but achieved bugger all most of the time. We could still be playing now and not have created a decent chance. The problem is that at this level we haven't got players who think and move quickly enough to play the sort of tippy tappy that would scare decent championship sides. Our first thought is to pass the ball backwards, usually our players are facing our goal when they receive the ball, so the ball inevitably ends up with a defender who is then put under pressure and has to make a hurried clearance. It's not that tippy tappy is wrong, clearly when you watch Spain/Barca it's totally the right way to play, we just need better players to play that way effectively at this level, or we adjust our style to suit the strengths of the players we have got.

Some salient points there.

So if I can summise - what you're essentially saying is that we are NOT as good as Spain, or even Barcelona ?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
First six games
16 points out of a possible 18. 11 goals scored.4 conceded.

Last seven games
3 points out of a possible 21. 6 goals scored, 12 conceded.

Where are the wheels???? have they come off ?????. They were here in August

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Right here I go I can't stand it anymore and I have to have a rant.

WHAT THE f*** IS WRONG WITH SOME OF OUR "FANS".

Why are people suddenly slamming the way we play. Alright we have had a poor run but anyone that thinks we should stop playing the tippy tappy game is a total moron and knows nothing about football at all. With a little bit more quality in the team we would have (and in the future will) rip teams like West Ham apart. A little bit of calm is required I know we live in a must have it now world but just wait. Expecting to be in the top 3 is totally unrealistic, midtable is fine. WE WILL NOT GO DOWN.

Also if people want to leave early so be it. We are not the only club that has this, it does not make people bad fans or even bad people or make us a bad club. For the most part our support is great, but support is from people who have lives and other things going on so if they need to leave early that is fine.

I am just so sick of the moan, moan f***ing moan. Piss off and support Man City or Chelsea if you cant take the fact we are slowly developing. This club is a work in progress and will perhaps always be that way.

Sorry I know this has been said before but I needed to get it off my chest. People are getting so unrealistic about what to expect of the team and the club its just mental.

The football landscape is changing for us and the tippy tappy is the future, just cause Beagrie, Curbishley and Alladyce think we still ought to not play it from the back does not mean its true. Stop listening to pundits people and make your own mind up. Bottom line is Spain and Barca are leading the way. All teams at all levels can play this way and one day will. We are head of our time in playing style and stadium and infurstructure. Its tough to be some of the first but we will see the benefits soon.

You are missing one important point. Spain and Barca have technically gifted players, suited to that non-physical style of play. We however, do not, and when our players try to emulate Spain and Barca, it turns into boring turgid negative crap.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Not playing tippy tappy? launching it? Really?

Yes, really. Not all the time obviously, but probably as many times as west Ham did. All I am saying is that our prime concern seems to be to keep the ball, rather than trying to achieve forward momentum and score, last season we were far more positive. What's the point of having 70% possession if it's all in our half and we create nothing? I know Spain have fantastic players, but just watch how they play, and we are nothing like it at the moment. Not a fair comparison really, and I know we are trying to do the right thing, but we look a bit ponderous and predictable at the moment.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yes, really. Not all the time obviously, but probably as many times as west Ham did. All I am saying is that our prime concern seems to be to keep the ball, rather than trying to achieve forward momentum and score, last season we were far more positive. What's the point of having 70% possession if it's all in our half and we create nothing? I know Spain have fantastic players, but just watch how they play, and we are nothing like it at the moment. Not a fair comparison really, and I know we are trying to do the right thing, but we look a bit ponderous and predictable at the moment.

I totally agree with you., other than the "a bit" part, I would say very or completely.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Some salient points there.

So if I can summise - what you're essentially saying is that we are NOT as good as Spain, or even Barcelona ?

Yes, that's spot on! Why is that, it's a disgrace!
Actually, what I am saying is that some of the players available are not good enough to play tippy tappy at this level against well organised and experienced championship sides. Although West Ham were pretty basic yesterday, on the whole it was quite an easy game for them once they went ahead, they were quite happy for us to have possession up to the last third of the pitch and we rarely looked like breaking them down.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You are missing one important point. Spain and Barca have technically gifted players, suited to that non-physical style of play. We however, do not, and when our players try to emulate Spain and Barca, it turns into boring turgid negative crap.

Much like most of your posts then.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
totally agree with this post.

we could barge and muscle our way to the prem to become stoke or west brom.....or wait a few years and get there with tippy tappy barca style.....i know what i want.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
we could barge and muscle our way to the prem to become stoke or west brom.....or wait a few years and get there with tippy tappy barca style.....i know what i want.

I don't think anybody other than Arsenal sets out to play that way do they? Certainly not a single team in the bottom two thirds of the Premier League even attempts it.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
SI 4 BHA is spot on, there is a huge difference in keeping possession of the ball and doing something positive, even with a few minutes to go time was being wasted by the backs switching the ball between them.
Arsenal play a marvellous passing game but the ball is moved forward with speed,we cant hope to equal this style with our players but a mixture of both the odd long ball with not too many passes could well be successful,what is certain is we must change the style during the game when its not resulting in goals.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't think anybody other than Arsenal sets out to play that way do they? Certainly not a single team in the bottom two thirds of the Premier League even attempts it.
I have't looked at the table lately but I would think Swansea are in the bottom two thirds of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here