Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSU vs. North Stand Noise

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The West holds about five times as many people as the North, so it's no real surprise that it's louder, is it? But it's nothing like five times louder.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting perspectives on "Noise" in this thread.

I normally sit in Upper West G, so I am nearer the North Stand. I can hear them, and when we sing, we sound loud .

For the Chelsea game, I sat in the Lower West but just past the half-way line nearer the South. All I could hear for the first half was Chelsea and nothing from the North. There was never going to be any singing from the Lower West, even though some Upper West people must have been sat there. One of my friends, who usually sits in the Lower West confirmed it was a normal atmosphere for the Lower West.

After the game, I mentioned the noise difference to a couple of members on our coach who had sat in the North Stand. They replied that it was very noisy in the North and they couldn't hear the Chelsea fans. They are retired cops in ther 60s, so I have no reason to doubt them.

It's all relative. I remember the same problem at Portman Road last season. We couldn't hear their fans and vice versa. It's down to the acoustics of the particular stand.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Interesting perspectives on "Noise" in this thread.

I normally sit in Upper West G, so I am nearer the North Stand. I can hear them, and when we sing, we sound loud .

For the Chelsea game, I sat in the Lower West but just past the half-way line nearer the South. All I could hear for the first half was Chelsea and nothing from the North. There was never going to be any singing from the Lower West, even though some Upper West people must have been sat there. One of my friends, who usually sits in the Lower West confirmed it was a normal atmosphere for the Lower West.

After the game, I mentioned the noise difference to a couple of members on our coach who had sat in the North Stand. They replied that it was very noisy in the North and they couldn't hear the Chelsea fans. They are retired cops in ther 60s, so I have no reason to doubt them.

It's all relative. I remember the same problem at Portman Road last season. We couldn't hear their fans and vice versa. It's down to the acoustics of the particular stand.

To be fair it was like a cup game in the NS, very few were in their normal seats and plenty of day trippers, it was never going to be a league atmosphere for that game, much closer to a Gillingham/Sunderland cup game one

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The West holds about five times as many people as the North, so it's no real surprise that it's louder, is it? But it's nothing like five times louder.

Sound doesn't work like that. Two people aren't twice as loud as one person, more like 2% louder.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
No need for another willy waving contest. WSU have their moments but the North makes the noise.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Last season four of us were in the West Lower corner right next to the away end.We had a great time almost every match goading the opposition fans (all done in the best possible taste) I loved waving twenty quid notes in the air when Portsmouth started singing play up pompey! The stewards would spend most of the matches staring at us - haha! I will definately miss all the banter this year. In East Upper - near north one row from the front this season - the six of us are very noisey and aim to get a few to lose their inhibitions ('Harvey's' helps) and get fecking singing!

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
One thing that's not taken into consideration is the age factor. You only need to walk from the bottom to the top of the WSU to see there are a big percentage of fans over the age of 50. There are people that don't even chant ALBION which is our basic chant and doesn't take a lot of doing really. The two people that sit next to me didn't utter a word last throughout the whole of last season, so its an uphill struggle with some of the crowd.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Last season four of us were in the West Lower corner right next to the away end.We had a great time almost every match goading the opposition fans (all done in the best possible taste) I loved waving twenty quid notes in the air when Portsmouth started singing play up pompey! The stewards would spend most of the matches staring at us - haha! I will definately miss all the banter this year. In East Upper - near north one row from the front this season - the six of us are very noisey and aim to get a few to lose their inhibitions ('Harvey's' helps) and get fecking singing!
I'm quite a shy fellow, but if you and your mates buy me enough Harveys I promise I'll sing my heart out. 7 or 8 should do the trick, cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here