Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

writing a CV and completing application form when you are over 55!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I hate having to fill in separate application forms when a letter and a cv should give more than enough information for an employer

I've been on the other end of this though. Before I retired (at 55 - and have also recently redone my CV!) I was often in a position of recruiting people. At least with a standard application form you can be sure that all the people you are comparing for a short list give the information you want in the order you want it. Otherwise you get some wierd and wonderful CVs coming in. I got the impression a lot of CVs I received were not tailored for the posts I wanted to fill; and in many cases I suspect were sent in just so people could say "I have applied for x jobs this week". Wasn't this once (still may be?) a condition of continuing to get benefits?

In the public sector too; HR (sorry Personnel) are so shit-scared of being hauled through the courts on discrimination cases that you often have no choice but to use the same application form if you are recruiting a Chief Executive as you would a school crossing attendant; the form probably being equally inappropriate for either job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here