Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

writing a CV and completing application form when you are over 55!

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Having retired last year after heart attack I decided this week to get some part-time work as I was getting restless and becoming obsessed with making Jam! It has taken me all day to complete this bloody form (not applied for job in last 15yrs) cant believe what they want to know! How the hell can I remember what grades I got at '0' level in 1972? and why do they want to know if I am in a civil partnership or married? It has taken me all day to complete this bloody form and I havn't even started my CV yet! Has the world gone mad or should I stay retired?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Having retired last year after heart attack I decided this week to get some part-time work as I was getting restless and becoming obsessed with making Jam! It has taken me all day to complete this bloody form (not applied for job in last 15yrs) cant believe what they want to know! How the hell can I remember what grades I got at '0' level in 1972? and why do they want to know if I am in a civil partnership or married? It has taken me all day to complete this bloody form and I havn't even started my CV yet! Has the world gone mad or should I stay retired?

IF they have asked that question, they could be in hot water if you 'wish' to take the matter further.

I agree though. The bullshit & hoops involved in many modern day vacancy applications is totally irrelevant to so many jobs. A load of psychometric clap trap made up by 'Human Resources' bods who often have no experience or knowledge of the positions they are hiring for.

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
IF they have asked that question, they could be in hot water if you 'wish' to take the matter further.

I agree though. The bullshit & hoops involved in many modern day vacancy applications is totally irrelevant to so many jobs. A load of psychometric clap trap made up by 'Human Resources' bods who often have no experience or knowledge of the positions they are hiring for.

Agree 100%

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What makes it worse is that they probably place more emphasis on the 1972 o-level grade than everything-else you have ever done in the entire rest of your life.

PS - nothing wrong with a jam obsession - the world needs more jam :drool::drool::drool:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
What flavour jam? Could you not turn your obsession into an earner?

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
What makes it worse is that they probably place more emphasis on the 1972 o-level grade than everything-else you have ever done in the entire rest of your life.

PS - nothing wrong with a jam obsession - the world needs more jam :drool::drool::drool:
I will continue! thank you for your support and have picked another 2lbs today!

The second poster is right about a future employer asking about your marital status - that is your business only. The other thing which you do not have to disclose is your age. I am a similar age to you, and there is a lot of ageism around, even though such discrimination is illegal. On my CV I list my qualifications, but I don't put dates alongside them; also I don't list my oldest jobs, which are completely irrelevant to any job I would now apply for - this way my age is not immediately obvious to anyone who reads it - I want to convey the impression that I have a lot of good experience, but that I am not (yet) ancient. At the head of my CV is a large section (1/2 - 3/4 of a page) describing myself, what I am looking for and my key (relevant) achievements over the past few years. I hope that helps :))

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
How do you know what job you are applying for? You should do a bit of research first as they have made up a load of nonsense titles since we were lads. :mad:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think given your condition you should NOT be applying to become an under stress wage slave again. Maybe a professional forager would be an ideal career ? expand your jam's to include Elderflower cordial, real Ginger beer etc, don't take on too much but do enough to keep fit and happy and make a few bob ....... ps, I got the bug and picked Sloes this weekend, off to Lidl for me cheap Gin in the morning !

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
He might! He will have to fill out the license form.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Do your Jam mate....mind you,the dreaded EU have issued a new dictat that you cannot use used jam/pickle jars now ...why don't they butt out the interferring gits. The sooner we have the referendum the better....

Camicus

IF and its a big if your jam is of a saleable quaility then a crafters stall is definatly worth looking into. I know stall holders who are taking £200+ per day on various craft stalls. Jams marmalades and pickles are going well from what I hear. Feel free to pm me if you need any info.

Just seen the above post buy jars in they cost a bit about50p each worth it though as they look more proffesional and have uniformity of apperance

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Doubtful anyone could check your O level results from that far back.

As for why he's looking for work, well good on you. Besides, if you're not dead within a few months of your heart attack then the benefit inspired health people (APOS?) will make pretty damn clear you ARE fit for work!

D

Deleted member 18477

christ dont go back to work if financially you dont need too!

make your jam! and try and make other things like others have suggested!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I customise my CV for every job I apply for - making sure I emphasise the relevant bits and downplay the irrelevant... you have to do this when older as otherwise there is simply too much information (I only give my earliest jobs a line at most - and some I don't even mention). They are only really interested in what you've done recently and what the highlights of your career and education are.

Agreed that application forms are a pain in the **** tho - why they want to know every minute detail is beyond me. All they really want to know is why you want the job, if you have the skills to do it and whether you will fit in to the organisation.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

I think you've answered your own question!

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
If you apply for jobs in the public sector, they ask for all kinds of ridiculous information regarding gender, marital status etc for equality purposes. As for o level results - unfortunately an employer that does not understand what is needed - hardly fair to compare o levels which had a set pass/ fau
I lure rate with GCSEs.
I hate having to fill in separate application forms when a letter and a cv should give more than enough information for an employer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here