Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take a pay cut to save other workers?

How big a pay cut would you be prepared to take in order to save workmates jobs.

• 5%

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 10%

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • 15%

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • 20%

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 25%

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • No, sod off.

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If so, what percentage of your salary would you be willing to give up?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not nessecarily to save other workers....but if I was asked to take a 10% cut to keep my job i probably would at the moment.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not nessecarily to save other workers....but if I was asked to take a 10% cut to keep my job i probably would at the moment.

Yep, this- if other people are clearly under performing then they should go but if everyones under budget etc and it's a toss up, of course. Maybe slightly selfish but whelp.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Effectively, I have done, for each of the last 3 years. The company came out very openly, and said "We don't want to lay anyone off [20,000 worldwide], so you all have to share the pain. No pay rise". We haven't had any increase at all in those three years, so allowing for inflation, we are effectively taking a hit, for the common good.

Not that we actually have a CHOICE about it though! Pretty sure I still would though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Effectively, I have done, for each of the last 3 years. The company came out very openly, and said "We don't want to lay anyone off [20,000 worldwide], so you all have to share the pain. No pay rise". We haven't had any increase at all in those three years, so allowing for inflation, we are effectively taking a hit, for the common good.

Not that we actually have a CHOICE about it though! Pretty sure I still would though.

This..

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

That's about right, IMHO, and I would take a small pay cut in those circumstances to keep the company afloat or prevent mass redundancies.

However, that would come with the caveat that those at the top are doing their bit. If the directors decide to keep all their pay, bonuses and dividends, and heap all the pain on the workforce, then forget it.

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Oooop North.....Manchester
Same as hans kray......and as bad as it sounds I would prefer they chop the dead wood. We have some poor engineers who can ONLY service gas appliances earning £120 a day! And others on £80 a day doing servicing, repairs and installation work.

Soo get rid of the un-skilled, not flexible staff and make everyone more productive then those who deserve it can get a pay rise.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I had to take a 30% cut in income a couple of months ago by being made to go part time. They wanted to make it 40% but I wasn't prepared to accept THAT much. It means no one gets the chop and the company can plan for the next 12 months with a little bit more confidence regarding its cash flow etc but who knows what will happen after 12 months. It effectively means all my income goes on bills etc but its better than job seekers allowance so what can you do except accept it and start looking for something else?!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
That's about right, IMHO, and I would take a small pay cut in those circumstances to keep the company afloat or prevent mass redundancies.

However, that would come with the caveat that those at the top are doing their bit. If the directors decide to keep all their pay, bonuses and dividends, and heap all the pain on the workforce, then forget it.

Best forget it ,then.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Yeah I already did last year 10%.

However, I don't really think you are ever given the choice asked in your question, you have to presume your job could be one of those at risk.

If the boss had said to me, look your job is safe but would you be prepared to take a drop in rate so that we can keep Wayne Wasteaspace over there employed, then my answer might have been different.

1066gull

If they were good team players who actually were good workers, saw when something needed to be done, than YES. but if they are only doing what they are told, do not use their own initiative, say they will do something for me and then never turn up, id much prefer to change my job.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There is a lot of dead wood where i work, often as i have gone around the site, I've seen people reading papers or surfing the web just to kill time or others who have come up with pet projects which have absolutely no benefit to what we do but are done to look busy and give themselves something to show for their wages. (eg. spending a lot of time and money on getting people to liftshare, but the organisation doesn't pay for anyone to get to work so surely how we all get there has no consequence to us or our budget, so why are we wasting resources on this?) Their goals seem at odds with what we are doing and therefore counter productive.

We also have people whose job is basically to check the work of other employees who are there to check the work of other employees. There are too many management types, far more than there ever used to be and more than are needed, the cuts will help to get rid of this unnecessary excess that built up over the years and hopefully refocus everyone onto what we do.

I wouldn't be too happy if i had to give up a % of my wage to keep this dead wood employed but if the dead wood was cleared and my giving up a small % meant we kept important workers then i would.

However there is plenty of money to be saved before job cuts are needed but i expect there will still be a lot going, i just hope they are all the dead wood and not those who serve a useful and valuable function.

The issue of giving up a percentage of your wage to save someone else's job depends surely on how much you earn, those who earn high wages can more easily cope with a cut without affecting their lifestyle that much, whereas those on low wages will struggle more as more of their wage as a % goes on basic requirements such as food, rent, water and electricity / gas - all things they can't easily cut back on if their wages drop (especially as the cost of living keeps rising)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Took a 12.5% paycut for ten months to 'save your job', then got made redundant anyway – two weeks short of qualifying for a year's redundancy pay. And had to work out my notice on the paycut salary too. Shafted + shafted + shafted + shafted. Cnuts.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Can and did, during the '89-91 recession. Between wages and benefits, in the neighborhood of 10%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here