Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you still pick owen for england

Should Owen still be picked for england

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
to be honest rooney wouldnt be scoring in that current newcastle team with the shit service they provide so its quite hard to judge owen on that.

one thing IS for certain though. Defoe HAS to be picked....and im sure he will.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Owen was dreadful tonight. He contributed absolutely nothing whatsoever, apart from the scrambled equaliser. Now you could argue that that is what he is there for, and that alone justifies his inclusion for England....but I'm not sure it'll be enough for the watching Capello.
That's not really true at all. In the second half, he scored the equaliser by beating FOUR defenders to the ball and poking it in. He gave every single one of those defenders a half-yard head start, and scored a classic poachers goal.

He did however miss a one on one which you'd normally expect him to SNAFFLE, but I guess that's the way it goes when your team is short on confidence. But even that chance, when you watch his technique, it's hard to see what he did wrong beyond having his chance saved.

All in all, England simply don't have the wealth of options in Owen's position, so Owen cannot be ignored.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
His Current form is dubious but put him in a good england squad and hes bound to score, hate it how the media love to get on his back just because hes not scoring, Andy Johnson or Heskey score just as few but get no where near as much criticism!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You ask Ronney, Lampard, Gerrard etc who thye would want up front and they will all giove you the same answer Owen.

I dont disagree, but maybe thats why we have been failing - England seems to be a closed door because of who the players wanted to be in the team not the manager.

Owen should be in the Squad but I think Defoe will be given a start in France

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I dont think Owen will ever regain his form sufficiently to warrant his place back. The successive injuries have taken their toll - he just aint the player he was and I don't think he ever will be again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope, his real strength, pace, has gone. he may be able to cut it in the Premiership against the minnows but is no longer quick enough for the World stage imo.

Oh and he's injured more often than not.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I would still pick him, but only if he's playing well for Newcastle, if he is creating chances and getting shots on target and looking sharp, I would pick him, but if not, I wouldnt, same goes for any player, there has been too much picking players on reputation and not form, in my view.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Defoe is shit as an international striker. He will never ever be a starting 11 player.
He'll never be a sub player, he's scored a few goals for Portsmouth but if you look beyond the highlights reel you can see why he has 2 goals in 30 odd caps. He's one dimensional, selfish, and his blast-it-as-hard-as-possible finishing looks good when it comes off, not so good when he hits row Z. Andy Johnson is a deeply ordinary player at Premiership level as well, he has no intelligence, just pace and a willingness to run the channels, and his goalscoring record is underwhelming without the aid of 10 penalties a season.

So much nonsense gets talked about Michael Owen, he's nowhere near as quick as he was but his movement is superb and he is a goalscorer - he's not been great this season, he's been troubled by injuries again and been playing in a laughably uncreative Newcastle side, but he's still a good player. He should be in the squad at least.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
More then makes up for it with his knack of being in the right place at the right time

You may be right, he's possibly good enough for a poor England team who are gonna stuggle to beat anyone of consequence..make that pretty well any International team

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Look at his international (and indeed, club) goalscoring record :shrug:

It's not just the Andorras and Ajerbaijans he scores against too.

He WAS fantastic but as I said before he's lost his pace which is essential for an International striker given the way he plays. He won't manage repeats of his heroics against Argentina. Probably be good enough against Aberbaijain or Andorra though

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Who else would you pick at present the options up front for England are woeful Owen gets picked by default.

I just hope Walcott and Agbo...(from Villa cant spell his name) start to deliver and become the future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's not really true at all. In the second half, he scored the equaliser by beating FOUR defenders to the ball and poking it in. He gave every single one of those defenders a half-yard head start, and scored a classic poachers goal.

He did however miss a one on one which you'd normally expect him to SNAFFLE, but I guess that's the way it goes when your team is short on confidence. But even that chance, when you watch his technique, it's hard to see what he did wrong beyond having his chance saved.

All in all, England simply don't have the wealth of options in Owen's position, so Owen cannot be ignored.

I stand by my remarks. He took his goal well, I'm not disputing that.
But in terms of his all-round game, he was poor. Just a peripheral figure with the game largely passing him by for long periods. Its not ENTIRELY his fault of course, as he's playing in a pretty ropey side. But I think Capello will want to see a lot more from his strikers during a game than a six-yard goalpoach.

The paucity of quality England strikers means Owen should of course be picked for the squad. But on current form, its hard to justify him starting.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
He WAS fantastic but as I said before he's lost his pace which is essential for an International striker given the way he plays. He won't manage repeats of his heroics against Argentina. Probably be good enough against Aberbaijain or Andorra though

I do disagree with your assumption on Owen. Whilst he has lost pace, he has sort of re-invented himself as an 18 yard box player (similar to Lineker, who was not really pacey) who gets in the right areas. His movement and positioning is better than most, hence why he still gets a fair few goals for England.

Owen is likely to beat Bobby Charltons 49 goal record for England and in less games, so he is doing something right.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I do disagree with your assumption on Owen. Whilst he has lost pace, he has sort of re-invented himself as an 18 yard box player (similar to Lineker, who was not really pacey) who gets in the right areas. His movement and positioning is better than most, hence why he still gets a fair few goals for England.

Owen is likely to beat Bobby Charltons 49 goal record for England and in less games, so he is doing something right.

I'll watch with interest then as I respect your opinion as an ardent England fan who actually makes the effort to go to games. I struggle to watch them on tv without walking away long before the end. On what I've seen of him recently I doubt he'll score too many more for England, assuming Capello even picks him, though

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I'll watch with interest then as I respect your opinion as an ardent England fan who actually makes the effort to go to games. I struggle to watch them on tv without walking away long before the end. On what I've seen of him recently I doubt he'll score too many more for England, assuming Capello even picks him, though

If he finds some form he should be OK. He was scoring fairly freely in the games for England earlier in the season and the thing I did notice was how good his movement is (this after watching the combined horror show of Defoe, Johnson and Bent the previous season).

I suspect he still has a future, simply as long term Rooney up front on his own is not a great plan as it takes a lot out of Rooney’s natural game, as he likes to come deep to get the ball.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The most NATURAL finisher we have.

A goal ration odf about 36% at Newcastle (when fit).

Yeah lets not pick him and have CROUCH or BENT or VASSELL instead...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here