Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Jesus wept. Use your loaf, man! Within the next 3 years, the area running between Kingston beach and Salt Farm Road will have housing for over 2000 more households, a new housing estate, an Ikea and numerous cafes and restaurants. On beach side we will have a cafe 1/3 bigger than Perch plonked on the small green (that area could use a cafe but something of sympathetic size).

Now, have a think. What infrastructure do YOU think that would require?

I’m sorry, but I cannot see why YOU are struggling so much with this.

You really do have a lot of pent up anger don't you, and probably think using condescending language makes you superior. It doesn't.

I'm not struggling with it at all, your response to my question is to simply ask it back to me without answering? My question was not rhetorical.

Perhaps you have a think about answering the question and come back when you can be less angry and a little more informative.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Greggs is like the McDonald’s or Burger King of chavy bakeries . Most of what Greggs sell is unhealthy , some of it is very unhealthy . Many of their well known bakes & pies contain between 50 % & a huge 80% of a persons daily saturated fat allowance .

Eat this type of stuff regularly and you are likely to have serious problems when you get to middle age and beyond .

Greggs are clever because they make their food taste nice ( for some tastes anyway ! ) but keep the price cheap by using a lot of cheap oils and lard etc - all bad for you .

If it’s cheap , it usually cos they are saving money by using poor quality ingredients..

If you are lucky enough to live in Brighton & Hove there is no excuse in my mind to darken a Greggs doors . This is not Crawley or Luton ..We have lots of far better quality bakeries that sell healthier food , many of which are independent and those are the ones we should be supporting . Rant over ....

Never eaten there because I'm not a fan of pastry (too dry). My housemate years ago was in love with the place though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You really do have a lot of pent up anger don't you, and probably think using condescending language makes you superior. It doesn't.

I'm not struggling with it at all, your response to my question is to simply ask it back to me without answering? My question was not rhetorical.

Perhaps you have a think about answering the question and come back when you can be less angry and a little more informative.

Nah, you’re just up for arguing. If you don’t know that 2000 more households are going to require extra GP’s, dentists, schools and improved transport there’s not much point in having the discussion.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Interestingly, the new Northbourne Medical centre is 3 times the size of the old with a more streamlined 2 tier system to weed the colds from the cancer requirements. It's bloody heaving already. I had to wait 3 weeks to get a telephone appointment with my Dr. Just a 5minute call.

Shoreham has no suitable secondary school, Half the kids now have to go to Lancing, and every primary school is bursting at the seams. ( portacabins in the car park at Victoria Rd)

Virtually everyone who works for a living in Shoreham has to travel/commute. THere is very little industry/business left. THe TOwn has merged with Kingston/Southwick since the 80's, and Lancing since the 60's/70's, the last few bits are being filled in now . . . . Luckily the SOuth Downs and sea prevent it spreading any more.

When Stressco and M&S opened over 20 years ago, they were pleasant places to shop. THey're heaving now.

A quick look suggests the population of Adur and Lancing is growing about 2-3% a year.

Look at places like Burgess Hill and Horsham and its nothing, but they have space to expand.

As long as the cupid old stunts keep voting for dim Tim it'll carry on as it is. 25% of the population are over 65 apparently.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Interestingly, the new Northbourne Medical centre is 3 times the size of the old with a more streamlined 2 tier system to weed the colds from the cancer requirements. It's bloody heaving already. I had to wait 3 weeks to get a telephone appointment with my Dr. Just a 5minute call.

Shoreham has no suitable secondary school, Half the kids now have to go to Lancing, and every primary school is bursting at the seams. ( portacabins in the car park at Victoria Rd)

Virtually everyone who works for a living in Shoreham has to travel/commute. THere is very little industry/business left. THe TOwn has merged with Kingston/Southwick since the 80's, and Lancing since the 60's/70's, the last few bits are being filled in now . . . . Luckily the SOuth Downs and sea prevent it spreading any more.

When Stressco and M&S opened over 20 years ago, they were pleasant places to shop. THey're heaving now.

A quick look suggests the population of Adur and Lancing is growing about 2-3% a year.

Look at places like Burgess Hill and Horsham and its nothing, but they have space to expand.

As long as the cupid old stunts keep voting for dim Tim it'll carry on as it is. 25% of the population are over 65 apparently.

I was surprised to see the Brighton & Hove Urban area population is just over 600,000 as of 2020, way too many people for the actual size of the area.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was surprised to see the Brighton & Hove Urban area population is just over 600,000 as of 2020, way too many people for the actual size of the area.

its bonkers isn't it . . .

pop.JPG

The further away, either side, you get from BTN the better it gets . . . . so in answer to the OP question. I narrowly avoided moving to Brighton in 1999 . . . . stayed in Shoreham . . . . I'd never move there now, but am still just about happy in Shoreham . . . . can't think of anywhere better to live.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Nailed ...and yet more developments being planned on the coast road and the one by the river bank about to come on stream :facepalm:

Ps Northbourne has gone downhill

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
You’re refusing to take in what people are saying. Forget about my personal taste in buildings/pathways/brick colour. The point is there isn’t infrastructure to support the development. That’s a simple fact and it’s going to be a huge problem.

It already is a huge problem. Shoreham is becoming a suburb of Brighton. Gulag style architectural developments abound, and the infrastructure cannot support it.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
[BWould you move back to Brighton?][/B]

Yeah I would move back to the area as the wife and kids always enjoy visiting. I'm not going to though, we have a great life here so there's no reason to change it. I also think the cold wind would piss my wife off quite quickly.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Brighton, like London for me, is a 'nice to visit' location now.... I would move back to either Shoreham or Arundel if pushed to leave the west country. I think being in late 50s dictates a different set of requirements.. if I was in my 20s, then Brighton or Hove would be just the ticket...... assuming I could tolerate the hipster culture

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton, like London for me, is a 'nice to visit' location now.... I would move back to either Shoreham or Arundel if pushed to leave the west country. I think being in late 50s dictates a different set of requirements.. if I was in my 20s, then Brighton or Hove would be just the ticket...... assuming I could tolerate the hipster culture

I didn’t realize you were pushing 60. I assumed you were 30s.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Agreed, spent most of my 20's there, now pushing toward 50 at an alarming rate, Shoreham is closer enough. . . . . not sure I could ever go quite as rural as West COuntry, as nice as it is..

I agree, Shoreham is pretty much full up now . . . but its the demolition of 60's/70's crap and high density replacements which are most alarming.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I didn’t realize you were pushing 60. I assumed you were 30s.
Nope, a steady and mature 57.... child of the 60s,... veteran of the bad (good) old days of late 70s early 80s terraces and tribalism....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here