Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Jamie

What I'd remember is that if you're young and you try to come on NSC and express an opinion, you get shouted down for being ... well .. young.

The end result is that a site full of fogeys with phenomenal post counts who have retired from life and are here to talk about their dentures or arthritis or whatever. See above for details.

Brighton is a brilliant place to live. Music, art, comedy, drinking (and it's heart breaking to see this closed down for COVID). Full of young people with ideas and aspirations. Loads to do and being in the centre of it feels wonderful. And don't ignore the politics. In fact I'd look at a political map of who holds what seat to work out if I thought I'd fit in in a different part of the country. Ignore the rough edges. Brighton is about the feeling it gives you. I couldn't recommend it more.

Well said.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think the politics is what is currently ruining Btn . I don’t know with respect anyone even half sensible that think the greens in charge of our council is a good thing . Brighton is not just about soppy idealistic students .

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I can well understand ex-pats having a yearning to come back to the UK, and wherever they stemmed from is the obvious pull from the heart strings.

As a Brightonian ex-patted, (I probably just made that up) in the UK I find myself without the foreign ex-pat heartstrings of yearning for the UK as I obviously have all the UK things I like where I am.

Despite being surrounded by the 'deluded', Leeds is a great city offering as much culturally as Brighton, great restaurants etc. There are many other great places in the UK where us Brightonians have settled that are probably equally as good or not better.

So whilst I cherish my Brighton heritage, no I wouldn't move back now.

I still return for the football tho, every game is an away day (love away days) for me and the rest of the local crew I travel with.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
In a heartbeat.

I’ve never actually lived in Brighton. Lewes was as close as I ever got. Circumstances never quite allowed for it. When I started my job in 1992 I was strongly expecting to be posted to Gatwick. I was 19. It was all set. I was going to move to Brighton and never look back.

I got sent to Heathrow and life took a different turn. Now it will never be.

That’s fine. I am fortunate enough to have a good life. However, given the choice, I’d be there like a shot. It’s simply my favourite place. It has an attitude all its own and, as a visitor, I always leave feeling happier than I did when I arrived.

Flying visit this Saturday though. Two sets of friends. Breakfast, lunch and a run. Happy times.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I can well understand ex-pats having a yearning to come back to the UK, and wherever they stemmed from is the obvious pull from the heart strings.

As a Brightonian ex-patted, (I probably just made that up) in the UK I find myself without the foreign ex-pat heartstrings of yearning for the UK as I obviously have all the UK things I like where I am.

Despite being surrounded by the 'deluded', Leeds is a great city offering as much culturally as Brighton, great restaurants etc. There are many other great places in the UK where us Brightonians have settled that are probably equally as good or not better.

So whilst I cherish my Brighton heritage, no I wouldn't move back now.

I still return for the football tho, every game is an away day (love away days) for me and the rest of the local crew I travel with.

Only went to Leeds once for a weekend but what a weekend it was. They'll let you in pubs there no matter what state you're in.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Far nicer than Brighton. But being developed to Hell. Will be unrecognisable in 5 years. And swamped with grockels.

The Tory council are intent on turning Shoreham into a mini Hove. Which is what it will be like after even more high rise apartments will be built near the harbour.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think the politics is what is currently ruining Btn . I don’t know with respect anyone even half sensible that think the greens in charge of our council is a good thing . Brighton is not just about soppy idealistic students .

Students mainly vote Labour. The Green vote in Brighton is mostly young families/young professionals

worth noting that the council was shit when the tories/labour were in charge. It doesn't make much difference

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
The Tory council are intent on turning Shoreham into a mini Hove. Which is what it will be like after even more high rise apartments will be built near the harbour.

Nice looking... and I hate what I'm about to say.... "condo" style high rises, or minging 60's council block types?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Students mainly vote Labour. The Green vote in Brighton is mostly young families/young professionals

worth noting that the council was shit when the tories/labour were in charge. It doesn't make much difference

And whatever party is leads the council, their priority is staving off bankruptcy rather than doing anything to improve services. It's not the fault of any of the local councillors there are barely any actual decisions they can still make. The central government funding that all councils need (or Windsor gets fabulous services and Middleboro gets terrible) has been decimated in the last decade.

Anger should be directed at national government not local

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brought up in Sussex, now in London. Thinking of moving back eventually - but it wouldn't be Brighton, as much as I love it. Too much of a party town, I think, to spend one's later years! Love Lewes, but it's just ridiculous - £500k for a tiny terraced house.

Depends what you want. It's just a really nice, historic town. Good choice of pubs, a new independent cinema, a little music venue, great local football club. Easy to get to both Brighton and London, and the Amex on your doorstep.

Seaford is nice, cheaper and still on the railway route, easy to get to the Amex, Brighton, Eastbourne and change at Lewes for London (although there are two direct trains a day, morning & evening). You have the benefit of a quieter beach,

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Seaford is nice, cheaper and still on the railway route, easy to get to the Amex, Brighton, Eastbourne and change at Lewes for London (although there are two direct trains a day, morning & evening). You have the benefit of a quieter beach,

I think the only time I've been out and about in Seaford was maybe 1996 when I was 15 and we went to the Trek Club (I think). Diabolical yet highly entertaining.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How anyone could think of returning to this shower of shit of a country that we live in, when you have the potential to seek residency in Spain.

Even the UK govt are making a push for expats in Spain to get residency so Brexit doesn't **** em up. Stay where you are and laugh at us as we collapse in on ourselves.

They won't be missed.

Beach has been packed this summer, lots choosing to avoid Brighton /Eastbourne. House around the corner sold within 48 hours. The secret is out???

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Yeah, thought about Seaford. Might be a bit too quiet, though. The other area I was considering was Hastings Old Town. Bit further afield though, obviously.

Yeah, thought about Seaford. Might be a bit too quiet, though. The other area I was considering was Hastings Old Town. Bit further afield though, obviously.
Although quiet it has 8 pubs within 5 minutes of each other, Lewes 20 minute on the train and Eastbourne or Brighton not much further by road The country side around Seaford is awesome. Also regular spitfire sightings overhead, love it here. 👍

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Although quiet it has 8 pubs within 5 minutes of each other, Lewes 20 minute on the train and Eastbourne or Brighton not much further by road The country side around Seaford is awesome. Also regular spitfire sightings overhead, love it here. 👍

Yeah, love the Downs round there and Cuckmere Haven. Not that familiar with the town, but funnily enough the last time I was in Seaford I struggled to find a good pub!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Nope it's lost all what I used to love about it growing up , all my family still live in Brighton but I wouldn't go back to live in Brighton if you paid me too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here