Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you "Embarrass Yourself" in the line of duty?

dazman

Apr 30, 2009
As plans for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee are finalised, the London Metro paper says that the event in central london will see some police officers and security staff out on duty on the streets for hours on end, with limited numbers meaning that they will have to wait longer for breaks.

One said that refreshments, drinks and toilet breaks might be less regular than is ideal and the 'source' said hopefully not too many will suffer as a result.

"If someone has to wait too long without relief there's a risk they might embarrass themselves - and no-one wants to see that happen,"

So keep an eye out for a copper with his legs crossed, then!! :D

Seriously though, I'd never subject myself to anything like that in line of duty, especially not for an event like the Jubilee!! - would you?

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
As plans for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee are finalised, the London Metro paper says that the event in central london will see some police officers and security staff out on duty on the streets for hours on end, with limited numbers meaning that they will have to wait longer for breaks.

One said that refreshments, drinks and toilet breaks might be less regular than is ideal and the 'source' said hopefully not too many will suffer as a result.

"If someone has to wait too long without relief there's a risk they might embarrass themselves - and no-one wants to see that happen,"

So keep an eye out for a copper with his legs crossed, then!! :D

Seriously though, I'd never subject myself to anything like that in line of duty, especially not for an event like the Jubilee!! - would you?

Is this a piss take?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I don't get this bit. Surely the security operation for a worldwide event like this, is the fear of a terrorist attack, which is pretty damn serious, and if there is something that is worthy of a bit of personal embarrassment, I would suggest it IS the protection of countless members of the public from a potential terror threat. Or am I reading that sentence incorrectly?

dazman

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get this bit. Surely the security operation for a worldwide event like this, is the fear of a terrorist attack, which is pretty damn serious, and if there is something that is worthy of a bit of personal embarrassment, I would suggest it IS the protection of countless members of the public from a potential terror threat. Or am I reading that sentence incorrectly?

Okay, maybe I didn't express myself as well as I should have done and I agree with your sentiments. But what I was trying to say was along the lines of at a 'modern-day' "show-piece" event, surely there's no way that police officers should be finding themselves in a situation where they might have to (almost) wet themselves!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Okay, maybe I didn't express myself as well as I should have done and I agree with your sentiments. But what I was trying to say was along the lines of at a 'modern-day' "show-piece" event, surely there's no way that police officers should be finding themselves in a situation where they might have to (almost) wet themselves!!

Agreed!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
According to Eddie Newton, on one occasion Frank Sinclair of Chelsea couldn't hold it in during a match. As it was raining he decided against leaving the field for, er, treatment ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here