Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
up the Derick.
Confused What The GIF by Sesame Street

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Have visited Jordan 3 times, and had a great holiday every time. Beautiful country and lovely friendly people.

Two highlights are, obviously, Petra - seeing it for the first time as you emerge from the narrow souk is simply breathtaking. The other, if you are into snorkeling, is Aqaba; at this time of year, the warm water attracts the most beautiful colourful fish (including the exquisite Lion Fish), but don't go barefoot, because the evil stonefish bury themselves in the sand, and thrust their poisoned-filled dorsal spines into the foot of any unfortunate paddler - apparently, the pain is excruciating, and can even prove fatal in a few instances. Perhaps go from the Royal Diving Centre, where you can enter the water from a jetty, without needing to tread on the sand https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...iving_Centre-Aqaba_Al_Aqabah_Governorate.html

Also recommend camel-riding at sun-set in Wadi Rum - tour companies can arrange these trips.

Last edited:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Yeah, I'd still go. I would normally be a bit more cavalier and roam around carefree and use local minicabs etc. but I would be a bit more cautious and stick to organised travel/tours to be honest for this one.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fo' shizzle, as long as you can ignore press censorship, oppression of the LGBTQ population, crackdown on political activism, up to 3 years imprisonment for criticising the king etc. etc.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yes and yes and yes. I’ve worked across the Middle East / North Africa and the Jordanians are the nicest people. We called ever weekend ‘which part of the bible will we do today. Apart from Petra - most amazing place you can visit, they have Jerash (I think is the 3rd best set of Roman ruins in the world), crusader castles at Kerak and Shobak, Wadi Rum, float in the Dead Sea, go into the eastern desert and visit T E Lawrence base at Al-Azraq, Mount Nebo where Moses showed the Israelites the holy land, River Jordan. Didn’t manage to visit Aqaba so can’t comment

most important is if you drive the Kings Highway South of Kerak you will come into Wadi Mujib (brilliant views) and have to cross a dam - I designed it and got my Chartered Civil Engineer based upon it (designed two others Wala and Tannur but they’re not on main road) - I don’t think there’ll be a blue plaque with my name on it!
You mean you designed a dam...and THEN qualified as an engineer from that project... brilliant 😂

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Might be too hot
Which one? 😀 I'm used to high 40s and 50s... in a months time hopefully won't be too bad.

I'm looking at doing 3 nights, 2 nights dead Sea, 1/2 day petra and 1 night wadi rum at the moment. I've not gone into too much detail but short trips are best for me. I can always go back another weekend. I've been given a tour guides details for Wadi, the rest I can do myself. Thanks for all the advice.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Which one? 😀 I'm used to high 40s and 50s... in a months time hopefully won't be too bad.

I'm looking at doing 3 nights, 2 nights dead Sea, 1/2 day petra and 1 night wadi rum at the moment. I've not gone into too much detail but short trips are best for me. I can always go back another weekend. I've been given a tour guides details for Wadi, the rest I can do myself. Thanks for all the advice.
Not sure there’s 2 days to do at Dead Sea, Petra is at least a whole day - you want to walk down the souk as sunrises and shines on the temple as you enter

Light_Bulb

Aug 20, 2024
If you're in KSA then definitely head to AlUla... It's just as stunning as Petra and has much fewer tourists (for now).

The following are pretty good for trips out of KSA:
  • Jordan is lovely and the people are some of my favourite in the middle-east.
  • Oman is worth a visit, especially Salalah in the summer as it's cooler. Musandum on the Oman peninsular is good for whale and dolphin watching - the dhow trips are good.
  • Georgia isn't too far for winter skiing (although small mountains) and Tsiblisi is a fun city for a weekend break.
  • Beirut is a seriously fun city but obvious issues with visas and entry at the moment.
  • Flights to the Maldives are quite cheap and if you google, you can get some fairly cheap hotels at the moment - especially if you don't travel to far from the main island.
  • India... Chaotic, but cheap and if you like an adventure then it's worth visiting.
  • Sri Lanka - I love everything about the place.
  • Egypt - Pyramids and scuba diving.
  • If you're in Riyadh, then Bahrain is good for a weekend away.
  • Likewise Dubai - chilled or party, and it's possible to have a good time AND avoid influencers and chavs...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you're in KSA then definitely head to AlUla... It's just as stunning as Petra and has much fewer tourists (for now).

The following are pretty good for trips out of KSA:
  • Jordan is lovely and the people are some of my favourite in the middle-east.
  • Oman is worth a visit, especially Salalah in the summer as it's cooler. Musandum on the Oman peninsular is good for whale and dolphin watching - the dhow trips are good.
  • Georgia isn't too far for winter skiing (although small mountains) and Tsiblisi is a fun city for a weekend break.
  • Beirut is a seriously fun city but obvious issues with visas and entry at the moment.
  • Flights to the Maldives are quite cheap and if you google, you can get some fairly cheap hotels at the moment - especially if you don't travel to far from the main island.
  • India... Chaotic, but cheap and if you like an adventure then it's worth visiting.
  • Sri Lanka - I love everything about the place.
  • Egypt - Pyramids and scuba diving.
  • If you're in Riyadh, then Bahrain is good for a weekend away.
  • Likewise Dubai - chilled or party, and it's possible to have a good time AND avoid influencers and chavs...
Thanks a lot for this. So far I've done, Cairo, Oman, Qatar, Dubai, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi from KSA. It would have been more but Ajax, Athens and Rome got in the way! I've definitely got India, on the list. Maldives and Sri Lanka I've been to and would go again but the wife would kill me if I went without her! As she would for Kenya!

Light_Bulb

Aug 20, 2024
Thanks a lot for this. So far I've done, Cairo, Oman, Qatar, Dubai, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi from KSA. It would have been more but Ajax, Athens and Rome got in the way! I've definitely got India, on the list. Maldives and Sri Lanka I've been to and would go again but the wife would kill me if I went without her! As she would for Kenya!
The scuba diving off the west coast of KSA is supposed to be exceptional and there are a few scuba schools on the Gulf of Aqaba (bang opposite Sharm El Sheikh). The other advantage of scuba trips is that you can't hear your misses moan when 20metres under water...

If you've not been to Jeddah yet then it's worth a weekend trip. Much more laid back than Riyadh. Especially Al Belad (it's a Unesco world heritage site).

Are you working for one of the PIF developers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here