Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Would you do Jordan?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
No, not that one!

I am currently in Saudi and want to travel to places that are easier to get to from here rather than from UK. The wife wants to go to Petra/Wadi Rum. UK government advice is to not to travel to Jordan/Syria border. As Petra/Wadi is nearer to Isreal border, it is allowed. I am the type of person to take these sort of risks but this I am not so sure about. I went to Hurgahda when Sharm was closed down as it was cheap and that turned out OK. So, would you go?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I was in Amman and did Petra/Wadi etc and even did a night's kipping in the desert. It was a brilliant
experience, so I would do it, but then again, it was 12 years ago and the world was a lot more
stable then than now.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was in Amman and did Petra/Wadi etc and even did a night's kipping in the desert. It was a brilliant
experience, so I would do it, but then again, it was 12 years ago and the world was a lot more
stable then than now.
A mate went last year and did a camp night on Wadi said it was great.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No, not that one!

I am currently in Saudi and want to travel to places that are easier to get to from here rather than from UK. The wife wants to go to Petra/Wadi Rum. UK government advice is to not to travel to Jordan/Syria border. As Petra/Wadi is nearer to Isreal border, it is allowed. I am the type of person to take these sort of risks but this I am not so sure about. I went to Hurgahda when Sharm was closed down as it was cheap and that turned out OK. So, would you go?
definitely go to Petra, its fantastic....... use common sense, dont stand out and you'll be fine mate

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have a good friend here who is from Jordan (he teaches English as a second language at a local community college). He goes back to Jordan most summers and has just had about four weeks back there.

I play squash with him every Sunday so let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll ask him.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have a good friend here who is from Jordan (he teaches English as a second language at a local community college). He goes back to Jordan most summers and has just had about four weeks back there.

I play squash with him every Sunday so let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll ask him.
Thanks

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
My wife went a few months ago and absolutely loved it. She was with a small tour group but from what she said, I’m sure independent travel would be fine.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My wife went a few months ago and absolutely loved it. She was with a small tour group but from what she said, I’m sure independent travel would be fine.
I never do tour groups as I don't want to pay out the extra but this may be worth looking into. I will take a look but if you know what group it was so I can check them out, much appreciated.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
I never do tour groups as I don't want to pay out the extra but this may be worth looking into. I will take a look but if you know what group it was so I can check them out, much appreciated.

I’ll ask her who she went with and will let you know.

Together, we’ve only once used a tour group (in Cuba, where independent travel was literally impossible due to no public transport and no car hire), but as a woman travelling on her own in Jordan — well, with another female friend — we thought it better that she was part of a group. As I write she’s in Peru with another tour group.

Yes, you’ll pay a premium to be part of a group but there are major benefits too which would tempt me to do it again.

Pros —
You have a tour guide (usually a citizen of the country) who knows everything about everything. This is absolutely priceless. Everything is laid on for you, transport and tour-wise. You arrive somewhere and there’s a bus and/or a guide to meet you. Your bags are collected from your hotel room door and the next time you see them is in the next hotel room. Depending on the tour and how much you pay, you see all the major locations and sights. You'll have good hotels in good locations.

Cons —
More expensive of course. That’s by far the biggest con. The itinerary is fixed and although there are always free days and free evenings, there’s little scope for a radical change of plan.

The elephant in the room is the other people in the tour group. We were lucky in Cuba, the 20 or so people we were with were really easy to get along with. My wife has also been lucky with smaller groups in Jordan and Peru. But there's always the risk of getting lumped in with people you don't get along with.

EDITED TO ADD:
The tour group my wife went with was called 'Explore UK'. I’m sure there are plenty of other good ones but she was happy with them.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If you can make the time, go to Jerash (just north of Amman). If you like a bit of Roman, you'll love it. Also, stop in at Kerak if you're travelling between Petra and Amman. It's a staggering castle that gives you a real sense of what life must have been like for the crusaders. Jordan is unmissable - go for it. You can also access the Dead Sea from the Jordanian side, but last time I went, it was a bit primitive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Would I do Jordan

a) Yes, but only up the Derick.

*reads thread*

b) Still yes. But I’d probably go anywhere that was interesting, so I’m not sure you want to rely on me. I’d prefer Petra to Blackpool.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Yes and yes and yes. I’ve worked across the Middle East / North Africa and the Jordanians are the nicest people. We called ever weekend ‘which part of the bible will we do today. Apart from Petra - most amazing place you can visit, they have Jerash (I think is the 3rd best set of Roman ruins in the world), crusader castles at Kerak and Shobak, Wadi Rum, float in the Dead Sea, go into the eastern desert and visit T E Lawrence base at Al-Azraq, Mount Nebo where Moses showed the Israelites the holy land, River Jordan. Didn’t manage to visit Aqaba so can’t comment

most important is if you drive the Kings Highway South of Kerak you will come into Wadi Mujib (brilliant views) and have to cross a dam - I designed it and got my Chartered Civil Engineer based upon it (designed two others Wala and Tannur but they’re not on main road) - I don’t think there’ll be a blue plaque with my name on it!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I know someone out there on holiday with a tour group now. I'm pretty sure he said they were called Exotica, although that sounds like one run by the other Jordan.

Edit: Exoticca

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Went two years ago for three weeks and loved it, very safe and friendly people. Particular highlights for me were Petra, Madaba, Amman, Jerash and the Desert. oh and Aqaba

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here