Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Would YOU be happy to pay more income tax so OAPs could keep their fuel payments?

Would you be happy to pay an income tax increase and keep universal WFP?

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There’s a £22 billion hole in our country’s finances that has to be filled somehow. So would you be prepared to see your income tax go up (let’s say by 2% on every band), so that pensioners not claiming pension credits (including those who currently donate it to charity) keep their WFP?

I would by the way. I’ve always believed those with more can and should pay more.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I think it is correct that the benefit should be means tested. There are pensioners who clearly need it and others (family members included) that really do not need it. I would pay more tax generally, not to fund this particular benefit though and can’t understand the obsession of reducing taxes when are services are clearly crumbling and in need of more funding.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
There’s a £22 billion hole in our country’s finances that has to be filled somehow. So would you be prepared to see your income tax go up (let’s say by 2% on every band), so that pensioners not claiming pension credits (including those who currently donate it to charity) keep their WFP?

I would by the way. I’ve always believed those with more can and should pay more.

Personally, I would be happy if YOU were removed as a moderator instead.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pensioners get the lowest state pension in Europe. The state pension should be higher, but also Ofcom, should do its job and clamp down on the energy companies. France lowered its energy prices 10% this week.
There should be no need for a Winter Fuel Allowance.

Oh, by the way, pensioners pay income tax, too.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would pay more tax for better services. Not sure I would so that people like my dad who has an income better than mine and he also owns twice as many houses as me (and my one house has a mortgage) so he is warm when he gets out of his Morgan after a nice drive to a country pub though.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Pensioners get the lowest state pension in Europe. The state pension should be higher, but also Ofcom, should do its job and clamp down on the energy companies. France lowered its energy prices 10% this week.
There should be no need for a Winter Fuel Allowance.

Oh, by the way, pensioners pay income tax, too.
A pedant writes: the government department dealing with energy prices is OFGEM.👍

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Unfortunately I don’t think this is a black and white, yes/no question. There’s too many variables at play. Which tax bracket are you talking about? All of them? Are we means testing this? Are we ensuring that everyone is paying the correct amount and that loopholes for the wealthy are being closed appropriately first? Are pensioners on final salary pensions being included in this? Is there cut off point where pensioners won’t receive this if they earn too much?

Honestly, my generation have been stung pretty badly the past 20 years, with Tory rule, rising house prices, stagnant salaries etc. I’m not sure paying more tax so that pensioners, many of whom hold a large part of Britain’s wealth, can have even more makes a ton of sense, at least not until all of the above are answered satisfactorily.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately I don’t think this is a black and white, yes/no question. There’s too many variables at play. Which tax bracket are you talking about? All of them? Are we means testing this? Are we ensuring that everyone is paying the correct amount and that loopholes for the wealthy are being closed appropriately first? Are pensioners on final salary pensions being included in this? Is there cut off point where pensioners won’t receive this if they earn too much?

Honestly, my generation have been stung pretty badly the past 20 years, with Tory rule, rising house prices, stagnant salaries etc. I’m not sure paying more tax so that pensioners, many of whom hold a large part of Britain’s wealth, can have even more makes a ton of sense, at least not until all of the above are answered satisfactorily.
OP’s question does state ‘every band’ tbf but this is a large part of the WF allowance problem - the admin costs of means-testing if you start to put layers onto what has been blunt instrument.…….maybe there’s a simple (ish) way to pay it to, say, pensioners that don’t pay tax for example :shrug: Vast majority of my mates/family that are of state pension age have no need for the allowance and shouldn’t get it.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It’s not an either/or. We’ll be paying more taxes after October as well (CGT and inheritance tax dead certs to go up). There needs to be a rebalancing between wealthy older generations who benefited from free higher education, final salary pensions and astronomical house price growth and younger generations who have none of those opportunities. The issue is the means testing - Martin Lewis has been articulate on this. Drawing the line at those on pension credit is probably too low.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Personally, I would be happy if YOU were removed as a moderator instead.
I know the mods are on a pretty decent salary here, but I'm not sure GB getting the elbow is going to save £22m!

In answer to the question, no, not really. Almost all of the people I know who got winter fuel payments didn't need it and told me how they spend it on other stuff. The people that DO need it still get it, no?

However, I do think there are better ways of plugging the financial hole, but maybe they are more difficult (going after tax evaders, clawing back PPE contract money, etc).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here