Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would we ever have a match WITHOUT segregation?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been mulling this question over, this season.
Having shared a train with all of our opposition supporters, to and from the ground, it then seems 'odd' to have them in their own area.

A Blackpool fan's thread was also very complimentary about our 'all in it together' attitude.

Naturally the atmosphere is so much better with an away stand, but how would you react being sat next to a Posh fan, on Saturday?.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can see a scenario where segregation will be less than rigorously enforced for less high profile matches, but ultimately you will always have an away end because the away team is entitled to a ticket allocation and because most people (as a general rule) prefer to be amongst their own. Of the 23 matches at the Amex this season, there are only one or two games I'd genuinely prefer to sit in a neutral area personally.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
When we were at Withers and Colchester were bringing their frankly PATHETIC away following of 70 then it could be done.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bring it on! While there's always going to be a home end and an away end, I'd be quite happy to sit next to a fan of the opposing team - I'm not going to start a fight, and it's good to talk. When I was at Uni in Liverpool in the 60's and 70's I went to quite a few away matches in the north west, and enjoyed a bit of chat and banter with the home fans.
If Liverpool and Everton can play in a completely unsegregated stadium (Cup Final) then anyone else should be able to as well.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Some grounds offer a "go-between" don't they , for if you have mates or family who support the other team in question

Fulhams one , I'm sure of it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've been to a few non-league games without segregation, and unfortunately it's a bit hit and miss. Most of the time it goes off fine, and you have an amusing "re-location" at half-time as a section of each fans move to behind whatever goal they're attacking. But then a bigger away following turns up, maybe on a sunny Bank Holiday, and suddenly it's turning a bit fraught.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Remember,in the early 70's going to away matches in such places as Oldham,Shrewsbury,Rochdale,Peterborough and Aldershot to name a few and having a good time in amidst the home fans and having no aggro at all!
Not so sure about today tho'!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Never experienced it so can't say for definite, but not overly keen on the idea in principle. Football is a tribal thing, them against us. I'm all for sharing a pint after the game with other fans and chatting merrily away, but during the game I like benig surrounded by fellow fans and all cheering together. I don't want an opposition fan next to me when they have just scored, no matter how mild the celebration, I don't want to be next to it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Football is a tribal thing, them against us. I'm all for sharing a pint after the game with other fans and chatting merrily away, but during the game I like benig surrounded by fellow fans and all cheering together. I don't want an opposition fan next to me when they have just scored, no matter how mild the celebration, I don't want to be next to it.

1000% this. Absolutely.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never experienced it so can't say for definite, but not overly keen on the idea in principle. Football is a tribal thing, them against us. I'm all for sharing a pint after the game with other fans and chatting merrily away, but during the game I like benig surrounded by fellow fans and all cheering together. I don't want an opposition fan next to me when they have just scored, no matter how mild the celebration, I don't want to be next to it.

Precisely this. Rugby fans bore on endlessly about this and how great it is that they all mingle. While I don't doubt the international atmosphere is great, I went to the Premiership Final at Twickenham a couple of years ago. Rubbish - surrounded by people nattering who don't give a toss about the team really. Just there for the beer and the social life.

While football may attract more passion regardless, I'd far prefer that the fans stay separate to get the proper back and forth atmosphere of a football ground. Then meet in the bar afterwards and chat about it like grown-ups. If I'm honest, during a game it has really irritated me when opposing fans have been close by - perspective goes out of the window short term.

Maybe there's a case for a mixed family stand but that's all.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If Liverpool and Everton can play in a completely unsegregated stadium (Cup Final) then anyone else should be able to as well.

I lived in London when that cup final took place, round about 86 from memory, amongst those living in our flat was an Evertonian. Three of his mates came down from Liverpool for the weekend, they all set off for the final with one ticket between them, all of them made it in for the game. Apparently one managed to blag a spare ticket, another managed to climb into the ground (remember the pictures of people scaling the walls and being helped over a parapet), the last was amongst about 150 who broke open some access doors and rushed in. The conservative estimate was that the attendance was several thousand above the quoted 100,000, possibly as high as 130,000. As for the unsegregation, a lot of families had supporters from both teams and just sat together, those who entered without tickets were just happy to be inside and saw it as some sort of badge of honour.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Wouldn't be worth the risk. Didn't Dagenham try it against MK or someone.......and it went off. The after match drinks is working but you are talking very small numbers. No way will that work with some of the teams in this league

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd have thought most people would prefer the game to remain fairly segregated and tribal, but I don't see what harm a designated, unsegregated, neutral block would do, ideally fairly near to the away end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No way will that work with some of the teams in this league
Nobody is saying it would.
I think we are one of the few teams, certainly in the top 2 divisions, that could 'get away with it', purely because of geography.

No Palace fans are going to turn up looking for random trouble, like they would if say Charlton tried, while Palace were away at Blackpool.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd have thought most people would prefer the game to remain fairly segregated and tribal, but I don't see what harm a designated, unsegregated, neutral block would do, ideally fairly near to the away end.
The JCL Stand in the South East corner (when it's filled in)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here