Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would the wheels come off for a while if Gus left?

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
No one is irreplaceable ( the nearest you'll ever get is Fergie )The ' Spanish ' influence is now a major factor in our club so it has to be taken into consideration.
Gus is cautious by nature and a lot of our results reflect this. I'm not advocating someone gung-ho but a manager who won't settle for drawing games, when there is a chance of winning, may achieve even more. We all know that Gus has been out-thought more than once this season and is not a tactical genius. He just plans in-depth, long term and sticks to it. Admirable qualities for long-term growth. Some other managers are more ' seat of the pants, grab the game by the scruff of the neck, now ' merchants. We have a good squad of players and I can't see us going backwards under a new manager.
A dour and experienced tactitian ( e.g Mowbray ) or a 'seat of the pants, emotional ' operator ( e.g Warnock ) or a long term strategist ( e.g Poyet )
Yer pays yer money...yer takes yer choice.

But what you don't really want is a long term strategist who leaves early.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Hate to say it, but that Ole Gunner Soljskaer fella would do an incredible job here.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Would also love Inigo at the helm. Get rid of Poyet and get someone with blue and white blood (Inigo) at the helm, someone who won't prostitute himself at every available media opportunity. Let Gus get sacked at Chelsea after 4 and three quarter months, ending up as assistant manager of MK Donkeys in the third tier while we prosper under our new flair legend.

As stated above, Swansea are a fantastic example of continued success inspite of the departure of two good managers in quick succession.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I love to know the stats on foreign managers coming to this country and being a success, outside of the prem. It's a different ball game in the prem, but I believe a working knowledge of this division is vital to do well, with very few exceptions. Poyet learnt a lot last season in this division and still has a lot to learn. Appointing someone with no experience of this division would be a massive mistake.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Is Gus dull enough to go to Chelsea ? Would he actually be asked ? Abramovich wants people with a proven track record which is something Gus hasn't got - yet ! Also Poyet and Di Matteo are great friends and I feel RDM would warn him off the job. I think (hope) Gus will be loyal
With the track record that Abramovich has with managers I cannot see it especially as I have a sneaking suspicion that Abramovich tells Benitez who to play ! However were he to jump ship I have every faith in Tony Bloom to appoint the right man

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Install Inigo Calderon as caretaker and carry on without a problem.

He's going to be Brighton's greatest ever manager. I know it.

I would love that. The next Guaridola.

Is the right answer

I would actually have no problem with that at all.

It hadn't occurred to me until [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.

Oh lordy I NEED this to happen.
From that moment on, although I'll always be on the Gus Bus, my rosy specs won't be worn until Calde is our manager.

From then on I will NEVER take those babies off.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Install Inigo Calderon as caretaker and carry on without a problem.

He's a really bright boy. Eloquent far beyond his few years as a Spaniard in England. A committed Brightonian it would seem. The recruitment of Spanish players seems to make massive sense bearing in mind price for UK players.
Downside. No experience and maybe too young... but bring in a grizzled number two... someone like Curbs or similar. I truly, truly don't want to see Gus go but if what we're reading is only half true...he'll be on his way and you can blame him for his ambition... he's been superb for us.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It hadn't occurred to me until [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.

Oh lordy I NEED this to happen.
From that moment on, although I'll always be on the Gus Bus, my rosy specs won't be worn until Calde is our manager.

From then on I will NEVER take those babies off.

He's a very clever, and passionate chap. He clearly thinks about his football, but added to that has degrees in sports science AND sports psychology. Witness the way he personally welcomes and looks after every new player to arrive at the club, for evidence of his man-management potential.

The king is dead (one day). Long live the king.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has he got his badges ?
He must have one of these:-
Blue-Peter-badge-002.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is why I think that TB will do everything possible to keep Gus at the club as he is an integral part of TB 5 year plan.
Gus must have a Chelsea et al get out clause.

I doubt there would be anything Tony could do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here