Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would Tanno make a good number one?

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Or do you think he is happy to always be Gus' number two?

I only ask because it strikes me that the very best outcome of our lord and saviour Gus Poyet one day leaving the club, is to have Tanno carry on the good work, thereby minimising the disruption and loss of momentum.

We all know there's nobody else out there fit to lick the great man's boots right now

Tanno is a lovely boke who came out of retirement to work with Gus,unfortunately lovely blokes do not make good managers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think that Tanno will stay when Gus leaves and will probably go with him. I also think that it is a situation we are not going to need to worry about for few years as I believe that Gus is here for the long haul with a job to do that he will see through to the end.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I agree; I'm not saying assistants can never make good managers, but rather that it's difficult to make the move within the same club. Hughton obviously did really well at Newcastle, but disasters like Little Sam taking over from Big Sam at Bolton is more common, I think. Depends on the individuals concerned though, of course.
That was proved by Gus becoming No1 after being No 2 to Dennis Wise. I think that Tanno is very underated and if inclined be a No1,he knows the game and is happy for Gus to take the plaudits,not for us though as I think he will follow Gus or retire.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I had the privilege to have a long old chat with Tanno at the end of last season. He is a wonderful bloke, quiet, subtle but a joy to talk to. He taught me more about football in that conversation that i have learnt in the rest of my life. His footballing brain is the size of a planet and would be a tactical genius as a manager but he would need a vocal assistant to do the shouting (Charlie?). He really loves the club, respects the chairman and was amazed at the support Brighton get away (he honestly was amazed). Oh and he has a good sense of humour!

I did get the impression he was happy being an assistant, he and gus obviously get on very,very well and i think would follow him where ever he goes. Football managers is a cut throat business but it plain to see that Gus is destined for greatness and i believe he'll take Tanno with him every step of the way.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I very much doubt Oatway would follow Gus out. He has more history with our club and appears to love it here

I can't remember when it was, but in an interview last year sometime Gus said that wherever he goes, he's taking Oatway with him. Of course, that doesn't mean Charlie would leave, but I think Gus would do his best to persuade him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't remember when it was, but in an interview last year sometime Gus said that wherever he goes, he's taking Oatway with him. Of course, that doesn't mean Charlie would leave, but I think Gus would do his best to persuade him.

I heard that same interview, and I think Chas would follow him unless it was abroad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I heard the same interview I think it was about the same time or to do with the publication of Charlies book.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The ONLY man that could ever replace Gus is Marcelo Bielsa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here