Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would Tanno make a good number one?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Or do you think he is happy to always be Gus' number two?

I only ask because it strikes me that the very best outcome of our lord and saviour Gus Poyet one day leaving the club, is to have Tanno carry on the good work, thereby minimising the disruption and loss of momentum.

We all know there's nobody else out there fit to lick the great man's boots right now

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I don't really know much about Tanno, but instinctively I'm not sure about promoting the No.2 to No.1. Nothing to do with Tanno himself, but if you've been the players' mate on the training pitch I'd imagine it's difficult to step up to being the feared and respected manager. Better to bring in a new regime, perhaps.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Not sure Tanno even wants to be a number 1. sounded like Gus persuaded him to come here in the 1st place. I've dreamt that Glenn Hoddle takes over when Gus finally does go..... Not saying that is good or bad, was just a dream!!!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I don't really know much about Tanno, but instinctively I'm not sure about promoting the No.2 to No.1. Nothing to do with Tanno himself, but if you've been the players' mate on the training pitch I'd imagine it's difficult to step up to being the feared and respected manager. Better to bring in a new regime, perhaps.

Whilst there are obvious examples where it hasn't worked (Steve McClaren), there are still plenty where it has. Lest we forget Mourinho started off as little more than a translator in Bobby Robson's regime where he'd have had little authority, and he's not done bad since. Likewise the original Peter Taylor, emerging from Clough's shadow.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Not sure Tanno even wants to be a number 1. sounded like Gus persuaded him to come here in the 1st place. I've dreamt that Glenn Hoddle takes over when Gus finally does go..... Not saying that is good or bad, was just a dream!!!
Completely with that about Tanno.

However, you really need to stop eating cheese before you go to bed, if you are having dreams like that!!:p

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've not seen him in goal so I think it would be premature to give him the #1 shirt

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Completely with that about Tanno.

However, you really need to stop eating cheese before you go to bed, if you are having dreams like that!!:p

I know it's scary. Don't even like him! I think it's just the Chelsea/spurs and similar playing style to Gus that made me dream it! Woke up in a right old sweat!!!!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Whilst there are obvious examples where it hasn't worked (Steve McClaren), there are still plenty where it has. Lest we forget Mourinho started off as little more than a translator in Bobby Robson's regime where he'd have had little authority, and he's not done bad since. Likewise the original Peter Taylor, emerging from Clough's shadow.

I agree; I'm not saying assistants can never make good managers, but rather that it's difficult to make the move within the same club. Hughton obviously did really well at Newcastle, but disasters like Little Sam taking over from Big Sam at Bolton is more common, I think. Depends on the individuals concerned though, of course.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
No completely different characters and you could not have Tanno becoming number 1 here, after a character like Poyet. Even Peter Taylor while having that amazing ability to spot a good player, lacked that something to really achieve as a go alone manager, he needed Brian Clough for that.

Also appointments from within for the managers post have never really worked for us. Just enjoy Gus and Tanno while we have them - not sure they will be going anywhere yet for a few years?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I don't see Tanno as a manager. I think he is happy being further away from the limelight and being a coach. I do think Gus would take him wherever he eventually does move on to.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Yes but think Brian Clough and Peter Taylor. When Taylor finally went on his own he did a very good job.

I'm sure Gus would want to take Tanno, but he may well want to be the top dog one day

In that case, Taylor seemed to be very much the one Clough leaned on with regards to who he should sign & problem solving.

To my knowledge, other than maybe running potential signings past Tanno (especially defensive ones), I don't think Tanno is as heavily involved in that side of things. I'd think he would be tasked with organising the defense with Gus (which he does excellently!).

I also believe Gus is very much the brains of the outfit (nothing against Tanno, he may be equally as clever & tactically estute). This was much more evenly split between Taylor & Clough.

Tanno doesn't strike me as someone who will want to pursue a career in management and, as many people have pointed out, he seemed to take this job as a favour to Gus - which I am very glad he did.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tanno had to be persuaded to come as number 2 to Gus and if you remember he had a "trial" period to see if he could settle into the job. I think it was close-run at one point and that returning to playing may have been instrumental in his staying. Pretty sure on that basis that he didn't see himsellf in management let alone as number one so unless a great deal has changed I can't see it. Even less can I see Charlie being groomed to take over. No disrespect but I snorted my coffee through my nose when I read that! Depending on where we are when Gus moves on (and I really expect it to be at least three years away) my money is on another overseas coach with a similar footballing philosophy.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I think if Gus ever left you would see Mr C.Oatway in charge for sure !!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
he has learned well from the master ..so why not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here