Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Glenn Murray and Craig Mackail-Smith have worked...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought the poyet Murray thing was caused by how the club at the time (and john stephenson) wanted to structure the budget with wages and transfer fees as two separate budgets. Keeping Murray used wages (signing on fee also came from wages) but was too much whilst cms was tfr budget and his signing on fee came from that budget too as a new signing.

Poyet was being belligerent to prove a point

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought the poyet Murray thing was caused by how the club at the time (and john stephenson) wanted to structure the budget with wages and transfer fees as two separate budgets. Keeping Murray used wages (signing on fee also came from wages) but was too much whilst cms was tfr budget and his signing on fee came from that budget too as a new signing.

Poyet was being belligerent to prove a point
That Poyet explanation about the different budgets always sounded like bollocks to me - he came out with it in the Argus the day before 4th-placed Palace played at the Amex (with CMS out for the season and Murray the division's leading scorer with 30 goals).

I've posted this before, but Adam Virgo was very good friends with Murray. Virgo spoke at a meeting of the BHA Heritage Society ten years ago. His view was that "[Poyet] Getting rid of [Murray] was probably a matter of personal pride." (because Poyet couldn't control Murray in the way he wanted).

I'll never understand why Poyet wanted CMS in the first place as he was completely the wrong type of player for Poyet's system, something even CMS referred to when interviewed for the club programme during his first season with the Albion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To answer the OP, yes, absolutely.

Although, given that Murray, Barnes and Wood all went on to decent Premier League careers we probably should have just tried to sign Wood permanently and stick with the title winning strike force.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
That Poyet explanation about the different budgets always sounded like bollocks to me - he came out with it in the Argus the day before 4th-placed Palace played at the Amex (with CMS out for the season and Murray the division's leading scorer with 30 goals).

I've posted this before, but Adam Virgo was very good friends with Murray. Virgo spoke at a meeting of the BHA Heritage Society ten years ago. His view was that "[Poyet] Getting rid of [Murray] was probably a matter of personal pride." (because Poyet couldn't control Murray in the way he wanted).

I'll never understand why Poyet wanted CMS in the first place as he was completely the wrong type of player for Poyet's system, something even CMS referred to when interviewed for the club programme during his first season with the Albion.
The stephenson story I was told didn't come from poyet but from another club senior non playing figure.

Cms was a marquee signing and I suspect wasn't entirely a poyet decision

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The stephenson story I was told didn't come from poyet but from another club senior non playing figure.

Cms was a marquee signing and I suspect wasn't entirely a poyet decision
What do you mean, the story didn't come from Poyet? I've linked the Argus article with quotes from Poyet :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

:goal:

I knew a senior Albion official throughout that period. Virgo’s recollection is spot on.

Poyet had a pretty much free rein until PB arrived, he ruled transfer matters. He took a personal dislike to Muzza just because he was shy, ‘different’ and had “the temerity” when we were flying in 2010/11 to ask that his next contract should we get be promoted pay a Championship striker’s pay rate. That angered control freak Poyet. Muzza would have loved to stay in his adopted city, 365.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
What do you mean, the story didn't come from Poyet? I've linked the Argus article with quotes from Poyet :shrug:
I am saying that when I first heard it just before the 1st game at the amex it wasn't poyet I heard it from. Surely it wasn't that confusing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here