Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would a total spirits ban work in England?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
If anybody is coming to Prague this weekend, be aware that no spirits over 20% will be available...anywhere...not bars, restaurants, supermarkets. No idea when they will lift the ban. A total ban following the methanol scandal that has killed 23 people so far, and blinded a lot more. Government has taken the step of banning all spirits over 20%. Was wondering if that work in UK? Im thinking its pretty easy here with only 10 million population. We had one positive at the bar..It was our last weekend, and none of the customers tried to kill each other, but I couldnt imagine a total ban like this working in a more populous country.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I don't understand the question. 'Would a total spirits ban work in England?' -- work in what way, exactly?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Would the authorities be able to ban all spirits in the UK, and how would they enforce it basically, and would bars, supermarkets, restaurants follow the ban... a lot of people here think a total ban is over the top...Doesnt bother me, as i dont drink spirits..but I cant imagine this being enforceable in a country with a bigger population.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It would probably lead to a number of deaths/injuries when people try to distill their own.
However, a ban on under 25s being allowed to drink spirits wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO (although difficult in practice)

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
It would probably lead to a number of deaths/injuries when people try to distill their own.
However, a ban on under 25s being allowed to drink spirits wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO (although difficult in practice)

They do this in Austria. They have limits for what type of alcohol you can drink depending on your age. Me, I love a glass of Whiskey after a long day in the office, I would find some way of procuring some, if there was a ban.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
No, it wouldn't work, banning stuff rarely does if there is a big enough demand for it. Look at drugs, long prison terms for those caught yet they are easier to get than a packet of fags. Given the number of people that enjoy spirits it would take 5 minutes for the criminal gangs to diversify and supply the demand.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
see 1930s America no ban on spirits is enforceable would just make illegal hooch more prevalent

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Would the authorities be able to ban all spirits in the UK, and how would they enforce it basically, and would bars, supermarkets, restaurants follow the ban... a lot of people here think a total ban is over the top...Doesnt bother me, as i dont drink spirits..but I cant imagine this being enforceable in a country with a bigger population.

Have a look at what Prohibition did in the U.S.

Al Capone was a product of the prohibition of Alcohol. Alcohol is my least favorite poisonous substance, but banning stuff is not the answer.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its the bootleg spirits that have killed 23 in the last week.... just seems a bit draconian to ban all spirits because of bootleg booze bought on the street etc...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Its the bootleg spirits that have killed 23 in the last week.... just seems a bit draconian to ban all spirits because of bootleg booze bought on the street etc...

100s are dying each week in India due to illegal booze.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yeah, so I believe..The Russias have a problem with it as well, but its the worst they have seen here for 40 odd years apparently.

We ran out of Whiskey once, and bought some at the local cornershop, that turned out to be water...but im grateful it was water and didnt kill or blind anybody...

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Surely though if it's like we get over here at times vodka in a smirnoff bottle but it's actually fake, then it's a customs issue also for getting into the country. That said I know publicans that buy a bottle of smirnoff then fill it with cheap foreign shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here