Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wot no moon thread? - It's virtually colliding with the Earth at the moment!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's huge!

Attachments

• Full_Moon_br-580x412.jpg
    Full_Moon_br-580x412.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,043

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I've just popped outside and you're right Giraffe - plus I don't think I've ever seen it so bright. Any fookin NSC space geeks know why?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
No it's not always that big.

On March 19, 2011 the Moon will pass by Earth at a distance of 356,577 kilometers (221,567 miles) – the closest pass in 18 years

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's the closest it's been to Earth for about 18 years I'd say, just a wild guess. Scary stuff. Given many women syncronise their cycle with the moon what the f*** is going to happen tomorrow. Mass female madness beckons, but then how will we notice!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
On March 19, 2011 the Moon will pass by Earth at a distance of 356,577 kilometers (221,567 miles) – the closest pass in 18 years

Did not a big star appear in the sky's many years ago to honor a man of greatness ?
well March 19 happens to be my birthday :wink:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its going to appear around 14% bigger than usual tomorrow, and 30% brighter, something to do with its eliptical orbit pattern around the Earth. It'll be passing about 50,000km closer than usual. Lets hope for a clear night. It sure is big and bright tonight.

aaaROOOOOOOOOOOOooooohhhhhh

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's a Lunar Perigee and yes, Saturday is the closest the moon gets to the earth at some 356,577 kms. Its orbit will take it further away by some 50,000 kms over the next 2 weeks to its apogee at around 406600kms before closing again in a monthly cycle. It actually stays relatively close at its perigee every month this year. The cycle by which the moon reaches its closest proximity to earth has been linked to climatic disasters but this is, scientifically, without foundation. It is entirely coincidental that we have experienced a major earthquake and tsunami at just this time although based on history of similar occurences many had forecast a climatic catastrophe.

You really wanted to know that didn't you

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
I explained to a young lad how I had my legs blown off in VietNam and used self hypnosis to grow them back again. His mother berated me for telling such lies. Yet there are billions of people all over the planet who believe in virgin birth , pedestrian aquatics, 72 virgins on tap for martyrs and that a lump of rock 300000km away influences all our lives .
My god - you'll be telling me you believe in gravity next !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here