Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing Non League

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is all down to the wages now being paid by non league clubs. Some years ago now when BL was manager at Brighton they approached Gareth Howells , ex Torquay brother of David of Spurs, when he came back from playing in S Africa as a cover goalkeeper and the money BHA offered was less than he could earn driving a lorry for the Post Office and the £100 a game he got playing for St Albans.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Burnley is a town with a population of around 75,000, you can double that and add a substantial amount on to reach the Worthing population. I wonder if it is the largest populated town in England with the lowest pyramid position?

I think you're grossly overestimating Worthing's population. It's about 100k, roughly the same size as Crawley or Eastbourne.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
But as a club being realistic, and having seen the problems Lewes had in the Conference, the best Worthing could ever hope for is flirting with Conference South, the costings to go any higher would just prove too much for a club of that size to take on.

But the question is why for a town of it's size is there not a bigger club. To be honest your answer smacks of lack of ambition and an acceptance of the status quo.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
But the question is why for a town of it's size is there not a bigger club. To be honest your answer smacks of lack of ambition and an acceptance of the status quo.

As we found out at the Albion on numerous occasions over the years, ambition has to be matched by funding.

Put this potential Worthing team that you talk of in the Conference, to have any chance as both Eastbourne and Lewes found you have go full time, with a decent sized squad your probably looking at £700,000 to £850,000 a year on player wages alone, therefore you need an income stream with sponsorship and gate money exceeeding that, that's never going to happen, especially now with the Amex.

I'd be interested to look at the stats re the amount of Albion season ticket holders from the Worthing postal codes, there never going to fully switch allegiance, which would be the only way Worthing could look at break even crowds every week.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'd be interested to look at the stats re the amount of Albion season ticket holders from the Worthing postal codes, there never going to fully switch allegiance, which would be the only way Worthing could look at break even crowds every week.

I reckon its 2k based on nothing more than a guess

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I used to go to Brighton one week and Worthing when BHA were away that was in the days of David Bloom, Regggie Bowles Jim Punter etc but in those days as has been said there was 3 games a year maximum on TV, very few people travelled to Brighton away matches and Saturday afternoon was a time to watch or play football as a lot of people had a half day from work finishing at about 12.00 noon. Times have changed travel is easier, more games on Tv and people have other things to do on a Saturday, also most people dont work now on Saturday so have a complete weekend to do what they wish.

Worthing would never have sufficient support to accomodate a team even in The Conference South. The best teams in that division have mostly come from higher leagues and trying to get back there like Woking.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Pretty fair assessment, nail on head etc. But only part of the problem.

Worthing were offered a place in the Conference when they finished runners up in the Isthmian Premier back in the 80's. The directors turned the invite down due to the financial commitment involved. Or as you describe, lack of ambition. Little has changed to this day. Ironically, one of the directors of Worthing FC at the time who was against Worthing joining the Conference was....Ray Bloom!

Worthing FC, despite their potential catchment area & loyal support, have stumbled from one financial crisis to another with periods of brief resurgence.

Lack of ambition, bad financial decisions, new managers, directors & sponsors coming & then going after falling foul of the ruling junta, meddling interference on & off the pitch - Just a small sample of whats gone wrong at Woodside. A common denominator in much of the above has been one particular director. Those who know the non league scene will know exactly who I mean. Some of the operational decisions in recent years have been lunacy beyond belief.

Its a common policy for despot dictators to appoint family members & trusted cronies to positions of power, ala Gadaffi, Sadam etc. Worthing FC has followed this policy in recent times to a tee. ??? Never mind appointing the best talent for the job!

Then there's the complicated setup of the ownership of Woodside Road. A trust known as Worthing Sports & Social own the ground with articles written years ago stating the ground was for the sports activities of the people of Worthing. Many trustee's have passed away over the years. At present, the only known 'trustees' are...Morty Hollis plus one of his daughters. Many supporters are concerned about 'influences' who have sneaked their way into positions of power at Woodside Road & fear that someone could 'Do an Archer'.

To cut a long story short, Worthing FC has been run into the ground when it has the potential to be on a par with a club like Eastbourne Borough for example.

Many here will have heard of Victor Gladwish, the Horsham based millionaire who used to sponsor many non league clubs. He pulled the plug on his sponsorship at Worthing. Why? The laws of libel sadly prevent me from elaborating. Needless to say, the reason for Victors departure is now part of the inner sanctum at Woodside!???:eek:

Sounds interesting, can you elaborate just a weeny bit more? Are you a regular at Woodside Pinkie?

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I think that there should be a BHA fan day at Woodside, get Brighton fans in at a good price, for a decent match, and advertise it at the Amex, and in the programmes. As I've said, it's a cracking place to go, especially if Brighton are "up north", I can guarantee that people would have a great day out, watch some entertaining football (last weekend WFC humped Hythe 5-0 at home) and come home with change from £20 in their pocket if your usual consumption is admission, programme, beer and burger plus another pint.
e.g

Admission -say £7 for arguments sake
Programme - £2
Beer and burger - £4 (it's a deal they have on down there......)
Another pint -£2.80

The other advantage is that they allow drinking near the pitch, so long as it's in a plastic cup........

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Pretty fair assessment, nail on head etc. But only part of the problem.

Worthing were offered a place in the Conference when they finished runners up in the Isthmian Premier back in the 80's. The directors turned the invite down due to the financial commitment involved. Or as you describe, lack of ambition. Little has changed to this day. Ironically, one of the directors of Worthing FC at the time who was against Worthing joining the Conference was....Ray Bloom!

Worthing FC, despite their potential catchment area & loyal support, have stumbled from one financial crisis to another with periods of brief resurgence.

Lack of ambition, bad financial decisions, new managers, directors & sponsors coming & then going after falling foul of the ruling junta, meddling interference on & off the pitch - Just a small sample of whats gone wrong at Woodside. A common denominator in much of the above has been one particular director. Those who know the non league scene will know exactly who I mean. Some of the operational decisions in recent years have been lunacy beyond belief.

Its a common policy for despot dictators to appoint family members & trusted cronies to positions of power, ala Gadaffi, Sadam etc. Worthing FC has followed this policy in recent times to a tee. ??? Never mind appointing the best talent for the job!

Then there's the complicated setup of the ownership of Woodside Road. A trust known as Worthing Sports & Social own the ground with articles written years ago stating the ground was for the sports activities of the people of Worthing. Many trustee's have passed away over the years. At present, the only known 'trustees' are...Morty Hollis plus one of his daughters. Many supporters are concerned about 'influences' who have sneaked their way into positions of power at Woodside Road & fear that someone could 'Do an Archer'.

To cut a long story short, Worthing FC has been run into the ground when it has the potential to be on a par with a club like Eastbourne Borough for example.

Many here will have heard of Victor Gladwish, the Horsham based millionaire who used to sponsor many non league clubs. He pulled the plug on his sponsorship at Worthing. Why? The laws of libel sadly prevent me from elaborating. Needless to say, the reason for Victors departure is now part of the inner sanctum at Woodside!???:eek:

not a friend of nick c, are you?

not a friend of nick c, are you?

Ah yes Nick, somewhat of a WFC legend as it were and many a story to be told about him, especially from those of us who played with him for the fans team at any time!

on brotherton he's a cracking player and one of the many great talents who found themselves wasting away on the Whitehawk bench, with another two of our former players also moving back again from there this season. Glad we have him back but agree he could certainly play a few gher up the non-league pyramid!!

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Ah,yes Nick, somewhat of a WFC legend as it were and many a story to be told about him, especially from those of us who played with him in the Queens Park tournamant in Glasgow last summer!!

on brotherton he's a cracking player and one of the many great talents who found themselves wasting away on the Whitehawk bench. Glad we have him back!!

haha, sure i might've heard a few of those!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh for the glory days of Barry Lloyd!!

Indeed, they were heady days back then, if you turned up to watch Worthing, you knew they would win.. but by how many ? I think one year, Micky Edmonds bagged 53 in a season with Mike Cornwell plugging about 30 too if I remember it right .

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Indeed, they were heady days back then, if you turned up to watch Worthing, you knew they would win.. but by how many ? I think one year, Micky Edmonds bagged 53 in a season with Mike Cornwell plugging about 30 too if I remember it right .

Don't forget Richard Tiltman - he was outstanding at that level & formed a deadly partnership with Edmonds.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don't forget Richard Tiltman - he was outstanding at that level & formed a deadly partnership with Edmonds.

Previous to that it was Kevin Foreman and "Leadboots " Lelliot who were stampeding down the wings.... marvellous scenes...

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
If anyone is interested, Worthing FC are about to start working in conjunction with local Railway Stations with a poster campaign, designed to "borrow" BHA fans when The Albion are playing away from home. As mentioned already, the team are playing well (around the playoff area in Ryman 1s) and they are running a promo for Saturday (for those not lucky enough to be going to the Newcastle game) where if your at the ground before 1pm (and thus able to watch the Utd Liverpool game in the bar!) you can get entry to the match for just a fiver.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Worthing station used to always have a board displayed showing Brightons Home games for the month and along side of it was one showing Worthings matches for the same period, this was back in the 50s /60s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here