Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing - general advice

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When you look at places, have a good walk around the roads, you'll get an idea of what places are like.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Worthing's alright really - I've never lived there (always lived in Shoreham), but went to school there and my sister lives there, so I know it very well.

Definitely avoid East W., it's proably the cheapest area - for a reason. There are nice parts around Broadwater, and North W, or near the sea by Sea Lane. Clearly you are going to pay more for the nicer areas, the same as anywhere. Quite a few decent restaurants around - personally I really like the Imperial China on the seafront - a little pricey, but good.

As you say, it's not too far from Brighton, so it's not that much of a change - they still speak English (well, most of them anyway) and you don't need jabs.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
you should save yourself £100 per month rent.Compared to Southwick.Good hunting mate.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I am actually around the back of Worthing station. Good value housing but check your neighbours before you move in. There is a lot of social housing especially around Rowlands Road, where they dump the theives and junkies.
North of the station is noisy at night at weekends due to the nightclubs and there have been attacks on residents.
Restaurant scene is good and there are a few passable boozers, none in town centre.
Really nothing else to do, poor cimema, joke of a football club, theatre which homes this years TV 'talent' show rejects and endless tribute acts.
Teville Gate still in discussion after 15 years and currently makes a pleasent suicide spot.
Wife likes it though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Worth mentioning the old people as well.

I have lived in my Worthing all my life other than a five year daliance with Brighton and Portslade. When I moved back to Worthing after that spell the striking thing was the oldies! The roads in particular are full of slow old people with little control over their car. As you don't drive this will have limited impact, although be careful crossing the road, or in fact walking down the pavement, as at least once a month the Herald runs a story showing some oldie driving into a house, wall etc.

The other impact is going for a quick lunch break in a shop/restaurant or pub undoubtedly means being surrounded by doddery old people, either in the queue in front or serving you! Either way it is impossible to have a quick break at lunchtime as a result!!!

Fortunately they are too scared to go out at night so you'll be okay in the evening! :lolol:

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I recently moved back to Worthing after being away for 25 years or more and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much it's changed. We live in the town centre so everything is close at hand and, although we do have a car, we quite happily leave it parked up at weekends and walk everywhere. There's a number of good restaurants (Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Thai or just about anything you desire) and the Rose and Crown is a good old traditional pub with good food and live bands every Friday and Sunday but no Sky Sports so the Vintners Parrot (it will always be the Thieves Kitchen to me) or the Warwick Arms is the best for the Football (or the boxing last Saturday). My advice would be to live as close to the beach as you can. There's nothing like a nice walk along the seafront and as we're only two minutes away we can go down there any time we like. If we lived a bit further inland I don't think we'd bother quite so much...

Skinthead

Jul 26, 2004
There Abouts
Dont know if your interested? a bit of a long shot but I have a 2 Bed flat Availiable to rent about 3 mins from Goring Station, Brilliant views overlooking Highdown.
If you are interested let me know and I can give you some more details.

Cheers.

rexwedge

Aug 22, 2005
worthing
East Worthing

I have lived in East Worthing for 20 years and have had no problems with the area. Close to the Sea and within walking distance of the town centre. All towns have Dodgy areas and roads Brighton included. Snobbery is still prevalent in this town. Ask an estate Agent.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I recently moved back to Worthing after being away for 25 years or more and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much it's changed. We live in the town centre so everything is close at hand and, although we do have a car, we quite happily leave it parked up at weekends and walk everywhere. There's a number of good restaurants (Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Thai or just about anything you desire) and the Rose and Crown is a good old traditional pub with good food and live bands every Friday and Sunday but no Sky Sports so the Vintners Parrot (it will always be the Thieves Kitchen to me) or the Warwick Arms is the best for the Football (or the boxing last Saturday). My advice would be to live as close to the beach as you can. There's nothing like a nice walk along the seafront and as we're only two minutes away we can go down there any time we like. If we lived a bit further inland I don't think we'd bother quite so much...

Hijacking the thread slightly - but always the Thieves for me too. The biggest gig I did with bands was in there, when we had over 250 people turn out on Monday eveing to watch us. Long time ago now though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I still remember the days of the good old odeon in Worthing - Still sadly missed.

God, I remember the Plaza. Now I`m depressed.

I live in East Worthing and there is nothing to really worry about this end of the town. Mind you being the biggest thug in the area helps :thumbsup:

There are a few small council estates around here but the people are the salt of the earth, in and out of each others houses (with each others properties) all the time. I think PeanutRoaster also slums it up here in 'The Bronx' as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
God, I remember the Plaza. Now I`m depressed.

I live in East Worthing and there is nothing to really worry about this end of the town. Mind you being the biggest thug in the area helps :thumbsup:

There are a few small council estates around here but the people are the salt of the earth, in and out of each others houses (with each others properties) all the time. I think PeanutRoaster also slums it up here in 'The Bronx' as well.

" Salt of The Earth " is a popular collective term used to descibe the nefarious rogues, footpad's, spongers and ne'rdowell's who populate our Eastern quarter. Best stick to Central and West Worthing.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
" Salt of The Earth " is a popular collective term used to descibe the nefarious rogues, footpad's, spongers and ne'rdowell's who populate our Eastern quater. Best stick to Central and West Worthing.

I think you have just described Lennox road pretty well there except for mentioning the drug cartels on the North side. :laugh:

and THEY are classed as Central.

ps Hows Trig from the West ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think you have just described Lennox road pretty well there except for mentioning the drug cartels on the North side. :laugh:

and THEY are classed as Central.

ps Hows Trig from the West ?

Well, if you stopped buying your drugs from Lennox Poad, the problem would soon dissipate. as for Trig, he is just a bit of a local "character "

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Worthing isnt a bad place to live at all, you can have a average night out if thats what you want and plenty of nice places to eat. Brighton is only 20 mins away so not far at all. anywhere such as Heene rd, grand avenue, shakespeare rd, richmond rd are nice places, pretty central but just tucked way from town centre and nice and quiet. Never as good as Brighton obvioulsy but certainly not as bad as some Brightonians make out!

some decent pubs:

Rose and Crown
The Wheatshef
Hare and Hounds
Vinters (for football)
Charles Dickens
Tangerine (in summer)

some good pubs slightly out of town such as George and Dragon, the Vine etc

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Worthing isnt a bad place to live at all, you can have a average night out if thats what you want and plenty of nice places to eat. Brighton is only 20 mins away so not far at all. anywhere such as Heene rd, grand avenue, shakespeare rd, richmond rd are nice places, pretty central but just tucked way from town centre and nice and quiet. Never as good as Brighton obvioulsy but certainly not as bad as some Brightonians make out!

some decent pubs:

Rose and Crown
The Wheatshef
Hare and Hounds
Vinters (for football)
Charles Dickens
Tangerine (in summer)

some good pubs slightly out of town such as George and Dragon, the Vine etc

Ye Olde House
Selden

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here