Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing FC

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The Rebels are the sleeping non-league giants of the south coast. I used to go way back in the 1960s when they were in the Athenian League and (this might be rose-coloured spectacles) used to pack 'em in at Woodside Road. Would love to see them climb back up the ladder.

Was that in the days of Mick and Ted Streeter? I used to go and watch them too in the mid sixties.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It was to do with the ground not being up to a conference standard, the same applied to Sutton, and Wycombe who finished 3rd went up.

After a few years Wycombe made it to the football league.

IMO, that era of football from a non-league perspective locally, was arguably the best we've seen.

Worthing were formidable under Lloydy
Bognor weren't far behind under Pearce.

Hastings Utd were in the Southern League challenging with Crawley.

County League wise Littlehampton had great players in Steve Piper, Kevin Hotston, Kevin Keehan, Ian Cole and Herbie Smith, with Ricky Sopp and Richard Tiltman, the latter two went on to star for Worthing.

Whitehawk had Gerry Fell and Geard.

Attendances were pretty good as well.

I agree, but if you dont mind me saying seems a West Sussex centric view although accepting the OP was about Worthing and you have thrown in Hastings and Whitehawk :)

I hear from many people of a certain age (of which I am one) that the standard just isn't as strong as it used to be and past players and clubs successes are regularly cited, I am not sure that this is entirely accurate.

Personally I think the power shifts around the clubs and county and at any one time a set of supporters feel this is better than ever and when nearly inevitably the power shifts from their club to another they then measure the quality of the league by the players and status they are left with and feel disappointed and bemoan the overall level, whilst at the same time another set of supporters at another club are suddenly enjoying some success and think its a great time for local football, the best in years, until again the power shifts somewhere else !!!

If you think about it there have been many shifts of power in the County league and beyond throughout the 80's and 90's that effect the overall opinion of those supporters now, either positively or not depending where they once were and where they are now.

Peacehaven, STAMCO, Langney Sports, Whitehawk, Wick, Littlehampton, Lewes, Worthing, Crawley, Saltdean, Shoreham, East Preston, Newhaven, Burgess Hill and so on.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree, but if you dont mind me saying seems a West Sussex centric view although accepting the OP was about Worthing and you have thrown in Hastings and Whitehawk :)

I hear from many people of a certain age (of which I am one) that the standard just isn't as strong as it used to be and past players and clubs successes are regularly cited, I am not sure that this is entirely accurate.

Personally I think the power shifts around the clubs and county and at any one time a set of supporters feel this is better than ever and when nearly inevitably the power shifts from their club to another they then measure the quality of the league by the players and status they are left with and feel disappointed and bemoan the overall level, whilst at the same time another set of supporters at another club are suddenly enjoying some success and think its a great time for local football, the best in years, until again the power shifts somewhere else !!!

If you think about it there have been many shifts of power in the County league and beyond throughout the 80's and 90's that effect the overall opinion of those supporters now, either positively or not depending where they once were and where they are now.

Peacehaven, STAMCO, Langney Sports, Whitehawk, Wick, Littlehampton, Lewes, Worthing, Crawley, Saltdean, Shoreham, East Preston, Newhaven, Burgess Hill and so on.

The only thing I disagree with you about is the standard, which I think is currently very poor, particularly when compared to the era mentioned.

Yes, it was a West Sussex centric view, because with exception of Biz Russell and ?Horscroft at Lewes I couldn't remember any others!

Arundel under Micky Peters and with the Bennetts and Steyning were strong, towards end of the '80's Wick won the league as well.

In terms of shifting power base, of course, but then it seemed largely dependant on where the money was [emoji4]

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The only thing I disagree with you about is the standard, which I think is currently very poor, particularly when compared to the era mentioned.

Yes, it was a West Sussex centric view, because with exception of Biz Russell and ?Horscroft at Lewes I couldn't remember any others!

Arundel under Micky Peters and with the Bennetts and Steyning were strong, towards end of the '80's Wick won the league as well.

In terms of shifting power base, of course, but then it seemed largely dependant on where the money was [emoji4]

We are on the same side here, but am trying to fathom why we think the era was better then than now.

Peacehaven had Darren Newman, Cheal, Alan Ingledew, etc Lewes had Matt Wiltshire Mike Ring, Parris brothers with Horscroft,Newhaven had Burvill, Wiltshire Towner, Rollings and we could go on, I guess this was the early 90's ???

But if you have a look at the current youth leagues they seem in good shape, too many perhaps sucked in to some Academy system before being spat out again, but surely the ex pro's and the best of the local talent must be playing somewhere in Sussex and should be comparable to generations before ??

Robski

Oct 6, 2010
Worthing
Worthing at home to Chipstead tonight at Woodside Road, 7:45 kick off, entry £8 adults, £6 concessions, £3 12-16 and under 12s go free. 10 minute walk from either Central or West Worthing station.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Was that in the days of Mick and Ted Streeter? I used to go and watch them too in the mid sixties.

Yes mate. Mick Streeter seemed to play until he was about 50! I think there's been a previous NSC thread about local non-league players who folk thought could have made it as pros.
For me, Streeter, M. would have been one of these - although this could just be schoolboy hero-worship talking!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Mixed him up with Wick and East Preston who were both managed by the old Littlehampton manager, whose name alludes me. I know Justin Thorpe from Midhurst played in the same team

Just remembered it was Carl Stabler

In more recent years, Mark Falco (bug lump ex-Spurs) played for the as did (I've heard) Steve Claridge - but the latter has played for just about every bloody side!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In more recent years, Mark Falco (bug lump ex-Spurs) played for the as did (I've heard) Steve Claridge - but the latter has played for just about every bloody side!

I met the cousin of Mark Falco on business once, very good looking lady as well

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes mate. Mick Streeter seemed to play until he was about 50! I think there's been a previous NSC thread about local non-league players who folk thought could have made it as pros.
For me, Streeter, M. would have been one of these - although this could just be schoolboy hero-worship talking!

I shared that hero worship thing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here