Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worthing by night

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
AVS

"The Wheatsheaf, is indeed top banana! Run by the A Team (the 3 Partners names all start with A )"

Is this currently a "in joke" around Worthing:D

How dare You! :)

I just made that up!!

copyright AVS 2008

:lol:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Doesnt auger well for pubs in Worthing then as my son went in there one evening and told me that it competes for its trade with the Jack Horner!! and I went in one lunch time with my wife and mother, the food was over priced supposed neaveau (sp) cuisine and it was rubbish.

The best pub in Worthing, without a shadow of doubt at lunchtimes for food, if you can get in there because it is so busy, is the Hare & Hounds in Portland Rd

If your son said that then he is a pathetic chav. And anyway, who the f*** is Ben and why should we give a shit that you are his Grandad?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
If your son said that then he is a pathetic chav. And anyway, who the f*** is Ben and why should we give a shit that you are his Grandad?[/QUOTE]

what a sad one you are that is just user name and means nothing you are not expected to know him

Fair enough - was probably a bit harsh of me actually! I think I was just annoyed that you have a son who is so narrow-minded that he would think the clientele of The Wheatsheaf are homosexuals merely because they look a little different to most of the chav scum who populate Worthing. Not your fault mind...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My son went in with his cousin who is a gay ladies hairdresser and does not hide the fact, I would suggest that he would have a fair idea of the situation.

My son is 40 years old and that was how he formed his opinion.

I remember the Wheatsheaf from 55 years ago when my dad sat me on a bench outside with a glass of lemonade and an arrowroot biscuit. Our early Sunday evening walk was to the Wheatsheaf and The Dragoon then to the New St Inn as all had seats for children. Then mum took us home to bed by 8.00pm and dad and his brother went to The Jollies and then The Clifton.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fair enough - was probably a bit harsh of me actually! I think I was just annoyed that you have a son who is so narrow-minded that he would think the clientele of The Wheatsheaf are homosexuals merely because they look a little different to most of the chav scum who populate Worthing. Not your fault mind...

There are a fair few obnoxious homosexuals who are regulars in the Jack Horner.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
for me Worthing was my nursery school for boozing as a youngster..."Thieves Kitchen, The Fountain pub, The Tyrolla (always dodgy as fook in a strange way ), Bensons Nighclub, Chapmans, Liberties Nightclub, the winebar next to it (cant remember the name), The Broadwater was a regular meet up place...ahh memories :laugh:

88brighton

Feb 13, 2008
Hangleton
que pasa and the warwick are ok. warwick is cheesy music depends if you like that. and then definatly off to the pier afterwards. would never choose anywhere over brighton though.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I first drank in the Clifton in 1960s when Nobby Clarke was the governor and my mum worked there and have never found it intimidating or full of hard men or so called. The Kings Arms was much worse, as any oldies will remember.

I drove the 'banana lorry' to quote Nicky Turner, to Peter Wards debut at Hereford.

Being a bit of a wuss, I never ventured in to The Clifton til I was past 30 and only then went with some trepidation. "Friends" persuaded me that it's reputation was far worse than it's reality...

As I entered I was confronted by the worrying sight of said Nick Turner, stripped to the waist, running in short stucatto steps into the landlord of that time, equally unclothed. at the point of collision both stopped and threw their bellies forward to create a sound similar to the crack of a rifle as their glutinous beer guts slapped together. This continued for several minutes until Nick decided he had won and lurched off to the latrine with his trousers sagging as if he had lost, due to sickness, his rear partner in a Pantomime Horse act.
Surveying the general area I found a rag-tag of the populace in various states of bawdiness and dress, some even owning a full set of dentures. I had one or two swift lagers and then in the style of the famous News Of The World reporter, I made my excuses and left.

Alfred the greatx

Cake anyone, bit overdone
Jun 15, 2008
Being a bit of a wuss, I never ventured in to The Clifton til I was past 30 and only then went with some trepidation. "Friends" persuaded me that it's reputation was far worse than it's reality...

As I entered I was confronted by the worrying sight of said Nick Turner, stripped to the waist, running in short stucatto steps into the landlord of that time, equally unclothed. at the point of collision both stopped and threw their bellies forward to create a sound similar to the crack of a rifle as their glutinous beer guts slapped together. This continued for several minutes until Nick decided he had won and lurched off to the latrine with his trousers sagging as if he had lost, due to sickness, his rear partner in a Pantomime Horse act.
Surveying the general area I found a rag-tag of the populace in various states of bawdiness and dress, some even owning a full set of dentures. I had one or two swift lagers and then in the style of the famous News Of The World reporter, I made my excuses and left.

Vegster, Bloody brilliant, that sounds like a fairly quiet night back in the good old days.:lol::lol:
I bet no one took any notice of you, thats how it was, sometimes the whole pub would go silent if a new face came in but, no one bothered them, not that they often stayed.
And every single person was Albion through and through.
By the way, I was the one with the full (nearly) set of dentures.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
warwick is ace if u like 80s,must admit i go in their after a pub crawl rather than a club,as it mostly over 30s and good atmosphere

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Will Davey being chased out to the toilets by the new landlady brandishing a pool cue (big girl) after he had pissed in one of the pockets on the pool table and Johnny Lodge breaking the slate on it after doing 'Stand and Deliver'' in about 81 82 ish after a good home win.

Very funny days

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

QUOTE]

I remember Nige Erskine getting attacked by one of the Yorkshiremens Jack Russells after he had looked in the sunday lunch rabbit bag the dog was guarding. f*** me Erskine has never moved that quick since.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK 8 layers of tee shirt on then as he was reknowned for having them showing below each other.

When you see him next ask him about the banana lorry and Hereford. As I said earlier their minibus had broken down and they were all stood on the side of the road and at the time I did some driving for Peter Whithead in Fetcham and asked if I could take a vehicle to get home as it was late on Friday evening when I finished and I needed some transport to get to Hereford next day, un beknown to him. I expected him to say take a van but he didnt he said take one of the box lorries which I did hence the blue and yellow lorry - the banana lorry as Nick called it. Had hell of a job to disguise and lose the mileage during the following week.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What Nick? he used to go out when it was snowing with a tee shirt on and he was still sweating.

We went to the top of the Peak District on the way back from Man City in February (82 ?) when it was bloody freezing and Nick moaned all day because of the heat.
He also reckoned he had 3 heart attacks getting up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here