Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worthing by night

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I`ve just had a wonderful night out in Worthing

Me too, I think........ I have about £20 in small change, no notes left and a thumping headache.
It was that 4th Rochforte that did it I think ..

As for worthing pubs, as mentioned Avoid at all costs The Clifton and The Jack Horner. The Vinters Parrot ( The Thieves ), The Warwick, Hare and Hounds are lively and quite safe. Go to The Swan for reasonable beers and a crap disco or The Selden for good beers, but watch out for the Rochforte, it bites :smokin:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Me too, I think........ I have about £20 in small change, no notes left and a thumping headache.
It was that 4th Rochforte that did it I think ..

As for worthing pubs, as mentioned Avoid at all costs The Clifton and The Jack Horner. The Vinters Parrot ( The Thieves ), The Warwick, Hare and Hounds are lively and quite safe. Go to The Swan for reasonable beers and a crap disco or The Selden for good beers, but watch out for the Rochforte, it bites :smokin:

A swift couple you said. 4 and half hours later ? That Porter was lurvely though. Back after match ok.

Nothing wrong with the Clifton now they`ve painted the walls red to hide the bloodstains.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
To get away from West Street just avoid West Street. You will be very disappointed with Worthing.
Do a few pubs in the Lanes or something, anything, Hove even; but Worthing, no I say, no.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A swift couple you said. 4 and half hours later ? That Porter was lurvely though. Back after match ok.

Nothing wrong with the Clifton now they`ve painted the walls red to hide the bloodstains.

I first drank in the Clifton in 1960s when Nobby Clarke was the governor and my mum worked there and have never found it intimidating or full of hard men or so called. The Kings Arms was much worse, as any oldies will remember.

I drove the 'banana lorry' to quote Nicky Turner, to Peter Wards debut at Hereford.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I first drank in the Clifton in 1960s when Nobby Clarke was the governor and my mum worked there and have never found it intimidating or full of hard men or so called. The Kings Arms was much worse, as any oldies will remember.

I drove the 'banana lorry' to quote Nicky Turner, to Peter Wards debut at Hereford.

I was with the other lads on the football special that day.

Did you know Nick has been very poorly of late ?

My old man drank in the Kings Arms. My older brother got sent down there to tell him to come home at my mums request the night of the skirmish lol

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The pub by the Library is probably the nearest thing you'll get to the Brighton vibe. I'm biased as my mate DJs regularly there but it really has no comparisons or peers in Worthing town centre.

Just need someone to remind me what it's called.

(and they have tuaca, too)

Pablo

Jul 8, 2003
Worthing
The pub by the Library is probably the nearest thing you'll get to the Brighton vibe. I'm biased as my mate DJs regularly there but it really has no comparisons or peers in Worthing town centre.

Wheatsheaf - Yea I'd recommend it as well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wheatsheaf - Yea I'd recommend it as well.

I went in there the other thursday Pablo and we were the only group in there.

Maybe its just us :shrug:

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Not if you live in Dominion Road , Broadwater St East or Penfold Rd.

Even in the 60s Worthing was known as a lovely place to come from; but a shit hole to go to.

:lolol: I live in one of those roads. It has changed a lot recently and is a good pub now. Was quite dodgy about 10 years ago with several stabbings until the landlord was removed !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agreed - best pub in Worthing by a country mile.

Doesnt auger well for pubs in Worthing then as my son went in there one evening and told me that it competes for its trade with the Jack Horner!! and I went in one lunch time with my wife and mother, the food was over priced supposed neaveau (sp) cuisine and it was rubbish.

The best pub in Worthing, without a shadow of doubt at lunchtimes for food, if you can get in there because it is so busy, is the Hare & Hounds in Portland Rd

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Doesnt auger well for pubs in Worthing then as my son went in there one evening and told me that it competes for its trade with the Jack Horner!! and I went in one lunch time with my wife and mother, the food was over priced supposed neaveau (sp) cuisine and it was rubbish.

The best pub in Worthing, without a shadow of doubt at lunchtimes for food, if you can get in there because it is so busy, is the Hare & Hounds in Portland Rd

If by "competing with the Jack Horner" you mean it's gay then it probably says more about your son's attitude to chilled out pubs. It's a bloody oasis in a desert of chavvy shitty town centre boozers. Like I said, the nearest thing to a Brighton vibe where people won't get sneered at or beaten up because they're different.

And shock horror, it tries to raise the standard of pub grub in Worthing. Why exactly did you eat in there then? You must have seen the prices and the food on offer. And the Hare and Hound is less than 2 minutes away from the Wheatsheaf.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

BG

"the food was over priced supposed neaveau (sp) cuisine and it was rubbish."

That will teach you for being adventerous!
Next time. Stick with the good old Worthing standard fare of over-boiled cabbage:)

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
If by "competing with the Jack Horner" you mean it's gay then it probably says more about your son's attitude to chilled out pubs. It's a bloody oasis in a desert of chavvy shitty town centre boozers. Like I said, the nearest thing to a Brighton vibe where people won't get sneered at or beaten up because they're different.

And shock horror, it tries to raise the standard of pub grub in Worthing. Why exactly did you eat in there then? You must have seen the prices and the food on offer. And the Hare and Hound is less than 2 minutes away from the Wheatsheaf.

Buzzer

"And shock horror, it tries to raise the standard of pub grub in Worthing."

Is it true that some of the Worthing pubs leave a pan of boiling cabbage on the stove all day?

So as to attract passing clientele in?

A bit similar to the supermarkets pumping out the smell of freshly baked bread from the bakery section:)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've heard the Wheatsheaf is full of raving irons who can't afford the train fare to Brighton or the cab fare back from Kemptown.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I've heard the Wheatsheaf is full of raving irons who can't afford the train fare to Brighton or the cab fare back from Kemptown.

Smudge

Maybe it is the other way round?

Possibly The Bulldog is always full, because its customers cant afford the train fare to Worthing or the cab fare back?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

My son went in with his cousin who is a gay ladies hairdresser and does not hide the fact but it doesnt detract from him as a person so I would suggest that he would have a fair idea of the situation.

As regards the food we have lunch out every week when we take my mother shopping and tried it one week before 'finding' the Hare & Hounds and I thought that the food was overpriced for what it was and the standard of cooking was very poor. I have eaten in the finest places as well as your average 'pub grub' type food including one that was rated by The Times as being the 3rd best in England plus I have a son who came 2nd in a national Chefs competition, having trained at the top catering college in the country, so I think I can judge good food from poor and in my opinion the food in the Wheatsheaf was not very good and most certainly not VFM.

The Hare and Hounds is basic food as is available in a number of pubs but it is well cooked, well presented and is certainly VFM.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing

The Wheatsheaf, is indeed top banana! Run by the A Team (the 3 Partners names all start with A :lol:) and one of them is also a Director of another successful Worthing business so knows what he is doing in the business sense.

In my mind, it has improved dramatically since they took over about 15 months ago, with regular live music, an outside heated eating area and a fab Sunday lunch. The head chef there is ex Red Bar in Worthing and regularly does outside catering which is also very popular

So yeah I rate it!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Well i was talking about weekends when i last posted. But the 2 good nights out in Worthing are Liquid on monday (80's and 90's night) and Pier on thursdays

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
The Wheatsheaf, is indeed top banana! Run by the A Team (the 3 Partners names all start with A :lol:) and one of them is also a Director of another successful Worthing business so knows what he is doing in the business sense.

In my mind, it has improved dramatically since they took over about 15 months ago, with regular live music, an outside heated eating area and a fab Sunday lunch. The head chef there is ex Red Bar in Worthing and regularly does outside catering which is also very popular

So yeah I rate it!

AVS

"The Wheatsheaf, is indeed top banana! Run by the A Team (the 3 Partners names all start with A )"

Is this currently a "in joke" around Worthing:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here