Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst referee?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Peter Walton admits Peter Walton was awful at St Mary's! Told me he had an absolute mare and got loads wrong. Overall I think, those two Albion games aside, he's been a good ref and always tried to let the game flow.

Pawson v Burnley for me.

Walton is generally one of the good guys. Successfully sued the Premier League for age discrimination, and just landed job as Director of Refereeing in the MLS.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
The one that I remember who thought he was bigger than the games he reffed was Rob 'Look at me' Styles ... complete numpty !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is it just me that's getting bored of the incessant criticism of officials by managers though?

Ian Holloway was the latest last night, screaming abuse at the ref in the Blackpool-Barnsley game because he sent off a Blackpool player. He was in the bloke's face in the tunnel shouting "you're wrong, you're WRONG". Pathetic. Another club's players were all jostling the referee, gobbing off at him because he gave a (admittedly soft) penalty against them. Mark Hughes was also laying into some ref or other, whinging endlessly that the modern officials aren't up to scratch. Which isn't actually true, it's just that the modern game is so much more under the microscope than it's ever been before. That, and players of today are far more likely to cheat, dive, feign injury and generally make the officials' jobs harder.

Holloway was subsequently made to look an utter tit, because the ref was completely right on that occasion. Would be nice if he was made to apologise, but I'm sure that'll be too much to ask. I guess what winds me up is that players and managers screw up countless times a game, but conveniently forget about it, yet the officials make one (perceived) mistake and they get hounded for it. Nobody has ever, ever, lost a championship because of one decision, no matter how aggrieved you are at time.

I'd love it if, just for once, a manager had the balls to come out and admit that his own player was stupid and wrong, that the referee made an error but that the errors of his own players for the other 89 minutes of the match are what cost them the points. The law of averages alone dictates that teams will get their share of right and wrong decisions over 46 games. There are very few refs out there that are genuinely rubbish. They just get targeted because of a few wrong calls out of the thousands that they get right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here