What was worse, last night or the 5-0?

• 5-0

Votes: 37 41.6%
  • Last night

Votes: 52 58.4%

• Total voters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
F***ing hell, what a question. It's like asking which was worse, the day you lost your right leg in a tiger shark accident, or had the left one chopped off by machete-wielding lunatic.

The 5-0 was bad enough, and I wasn't actually there. So must be last night for me, as I witnessed the ten-minute horror flick first hand.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People are voting last night because it's fresh in the mind, this is just the morning after. We were 1 up and the second half was a tense afair. When it was 1-1 after 80 minutes, that was a fair scoreline at that time, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. After that, they had the momentum and played better than us - whoopy do. Although that was the most important game of the season for me, I can cope with it no problem. I'm still delighted to be playing championship footy in a fantastic stadium, and one result doesn't change that.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think worse that than the result last night, and worse than the fact it was by Palace, is the realisation that the honeymoon period at the Amex is now over.

Leeds should have been the wake up call - the tactics were completely wrong.

Last night we were exposed as lacking in most areas.

We have League 1 players who arent up to it - Dicker, Painter, Sparrow.

We have expensive £1 Million+ players who cant even get near the first team for various reasons - Hoskins, Buckley.

We have a midfielder who cant be arsed - Harley.

We have KLL, who chases the ball like a kitten chases a ping pong ball.

The only player who caused any real damage last night gets subbed - Noone

Seeing Murray last night bought home what he had brought to to the team previously - what a massive mistake to let him go, and so cheaply.

Can someone go round and check this guy out? He might be suicidal.

Your team ain't THAT bad. Just probably a bit oveawed on the night.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Last night was very, very disappointing but not in the same league as the 5 nil. That was one of the all time days of doom as a Brighton fan. Plus the context is completely different now ( no ground, no money then etc etc) and our outlook, despite last night, is much, much brighter. Absolutely no contest.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
For me it was, at Selhurst in 2002 we had not won for ten games and had a team that cost a tenner between them.

Last night we had the benefit of a decent budget, an excellent playing surface, 20,000 fans (in theory), a good start to the season....... but were toilet.

No brainer,last night palace put there name into our club history as the 1st club to beat us in a league game at the Amex.It sounds like Gus and Calderon have been throwing hanbags at each other, Gus throws a hissy fit drops Calderon,then hey ho shit defence ,3-1 to palace.They obviously thought there pride came before the Rivalry between us and palace

last night was possibly the worst Albion experience of my life, waiting for the bus this morning I thought I was going to burst into tears*, I got pissed last night, made an arsehole of me self in the ground (luckily, it wasn't me usual seat, so i'll just be labelled 'an over dramatic plastic') If i'd seen Gus or any of the players last night I would have given them my season ticket and told them to "shove it up their arse", luckily I didn't, but this hurt me, it hurt me a lot and i'm a 44 year old grown man FFS! Thanks for listening.

*just for the record the last time I cried at the match, I was twelve and we had just beaten Newcastle and secured promotion to the top flight (although when we won the FA Cup semi final I was a bit older then so I had to claim the old "something in my eye" line!)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No brainer,last night palace put there name into our club history as the 1st club to beat us in a league game at the Amex...
That is a very good point. When future generations look back the 5-0 WILL be seen as just 'one of those things' given the circumstances of the club at the time. Some hoary old grandads might say how bad it was to be there that day, but the younger ones I think will be more concerned with the fact that Palace were the first team EVER to win a league game at the Amex - and boy have they gone on about it ever since.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Palace were the first team EVER to win a league game at the Amex - and boy have they gone on about it ever since.

They can go on about being the third team to beat the Albion at the Amex for as long as they like as far as I'm concerned. I'm only pissed off that they beat us at all!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Time appears to be a great healer for some. That 5-0 was the most shambolic performance I think I have ever seen. Last night was a bitter disappointment because we could have easily beaten them, but saw it unfolding horrifically over 70 minutes, but it wasn't a patch on 26/10/02.

To recall, I know we had lost 10 games on the spin, but Coppell had joined 1 game beforehand, we hadn't played Palace for years and took 6,000 up there. The whole day was a nightmare. Even Zamora was f***ing gash.

You think it was a nightmare because of the football. I had been to the funeral of a close friend THAT morning. So losing 1-0 or 5-0 was pretty immaterial

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
That is a very good point. When future generations look back the 5-0 WILL be seen as just 'one of those things' given the circumstances of the club at the time. Some hoary old grandads might say how bad it was to be there that day, but the younger ones I think will be more concerned with the fact that Palace were the first team EVER to win a league game at the Amex - and boy have they gone on about it ever since.

but only the SIXTH club to win there......

1 - BHA reserves
2 - Tottenham H
3 - BHA
4 - Liverpool
5 - Leeds
6 - Palace

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I was only 10 when the 5-0 defeat happened, and whilst I was a season ticket holder then at Withdean, I don't actually remember it.

But last night surely has to be worse. The expectation for us to win was enormous. We've finally turned the corner as a club. New stadium, finally have some money, fantastic manager and challenging at the top of the Championship playing beautiful football. We needed to prove this against Palace. Last night was the antithesis of that. The manner in which we lost was frankly disgraceful. I am incredibly, incredibly disappointed. We will surely beat Palace many times in the future at the Amex, but we will never get the opportunity to beat them 'for the first time' at our home turf.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last nite. As people have said realistically we were expected to lose in 02 and we had ten men. The fact that those ***** (bar noone) and i use that word with precision - ***** wearing the stripes yesterday is completely and utterly unforgivable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Last night was the worst by a long way because of the expectation. Having said that, I left selhurst when the 5th goal went in and I left last night when the 3rd goal went in so I saw more of last night's match!!!!!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Certainly the same. As you say in 2002 we KNEW we weren't very good, simply getting into the Championship had been an achievement given the fact we were playing at Withdean and were also fighting the planning battle. The best we were hoping for was that we'd be competitive and maybe we could sneak a win against the run of play. Ok, in fact we got battered but the defeat itself wasn't a total surprise.

Long before last night there'd been talk of a seismic change in the Brighton/Palace relationship, how we were going to be the big team, how our crowds and our stadium were going to eclipse theirs. Last night was simply meant to be the rubber-stamping of this change and we were going to win easily. Instead it confirmed that they're still the top dogs (as they have been for the last 30 years) and the revolution has been postponed.

Football, gotta love it haven't you? :lolol:

Agreed. I think there has been a seismic change in the relationship, and I felt no result would change that. However I didn't see that spineless perfromance coming. Sometimes it is best just to laugh.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last night was worse but on a positive note around 50% of our supporters would not know the significance of the loss

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here