Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worse than Prosser!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
On the subject of referees. The one that will stand out as the all time arch enemy of the Albion....Ron (Crystal) Challis!!!!

I doubt if Prosser will be despised as much he is now in 27 years time.

I can still remember that night at Stamford Bridge, the cheating twat!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do you remember his first (and I believe only other) game at the Goldstone after that Palace game?

I've never heard a ref booed like that before....or since.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Scarface said:
For those of us who arent old enough, what happened?! :eek:

Not too sure about the year, it may have been '77 but I think it was '79.

FA Cup 1st round,second replay against the Palace scum, at Stamford Bridge.
(Whatever you hear about this is what kicked our rivalry off; don't believe it. That was there already!)

Brighton given a blatant penalty, the ref disallows it as the ball hits the net, goalie moved. Retaken, ref disallows it, as PALACE player has encroached the area!!!
Retaken, saved!
Scenes of chaos all around the ground, Palace win, Mullery pelted with cans & coins by their lot, he picks up a few missiles & launches them back, with a 2 fingered salute for good measure!
Fighting flares up all around the ground & then outside after.
Ron Challis was ref, renamed Crystal Challis!

One of the very few times the Pikies beat us back in the day!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
smudge said:

(Whatever you hear about this is what kicked our rivalry off; don't believe it. That was there already!)

Brighton given a blatant penalty, the ref disallows it as the ball hits the net, goalie moved. Retaken, ref disallows it, as PALACE player has encroached the area!!!
Retaken, saved!
Scenes of chaos all around the ground, Palace win, Mullery pelted with cans & coins by their lot, he picks up a few missiles & launches them back, with a 2 fingered salute for good measure!

wasn't there an obscene amount of penalties awarded?

Clarke Quay

Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire
Palace v Albion matches generated a lot of controversy back then-which helped to stoke up the rivalry...as if that was needed! The match with loads of penalties was in 1989. Kelvin Morton refereed and gave 5 penalties in the game; 4 to Palace-they missed 3! and one to us-which we scored.

The infamous Ron Challis match was in December '76 and played at Samford Bridgee as it was a second FA cup replay. Challis disallowed an Ian Mellor header-nobody ever knew why but there was no TV coverage to help and then follwed the Brian Horton penalites fiasco.

Ron Challis died a few years ago. His decisions that nigh t are still remembered though.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
My dad said Prosser was a cheat, but Challis was an idiot, a cheat and another word begining wiht c that i cant remember.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
smudge said:

Retaken, saved!

You left out the bit where he steams into the Palace dressing room, throws a fiver on the floor and says to Malcolm Allison (?), 'that's all that your team is worth...'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here