Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] World's Best Chocolate Competition - The Nominations

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I will second all 3 of these and am known to indulge in each.

Terry's Chocolate Orange
Ferrero Roche
Toblerone

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Dark all the way for me.
Divine 70% is a belter :rave:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Following on from the mud throwing at Guylian's (Wetherspoons finest voted overwhelming as the majority) I have taken the drastic step of setting up a competition to find out the World's Best Chocolate once and for all

Usual rules apply:

A nominated chocolate must be seconded to reach the group stages.

The Chocolate being nominated must at least be broadly accepted as being a chocolate (I'm looking at you, Jaffa Cake)

Let the games begin!

Nominations list:

Guylian's
Terry's Chocolate Orange
Mint Club
Double Decker
Tony’s Chocolonely
Bounty
Snickers
Mars Bar

Texan Bar
Mrs Mason’s Coconut Badger
Galaxy
Lindt Extra Dark Chocolate Truffles 70%
Mint Lindor
Ferrero Rocher
Toblerone
Wispa
Curly Wurly
Lion Bar

Seconded list:
Lindt - Touch of Sea Salt
Crunchie
Green and Blacks
After Eights

My word, the state of this nominations list so far...

IMO for something to qualify as "chocolate" the majority ingredient should be ... well, you know, chocolate? Just because someone has coated a slab of honeycomb in a thin layer of chocolate doesn't make it "chocolate". It makes it an item of confectionary that uses chocolate, but not actual chocolate.

I'll happily allow in such items as Fruit & Nut chocolate bars, Rum & Raisin, etc. But a Mars Bar ... come on. That's Caramel and Nougat with a light chocolate wrapping. Absolute travesty that a Snickers makes it on the list before the likes of Bournville and Booja Booja.

Oh ... and if Kit Kat and Wagon Wheel are out, how did a Club make it in?! (NB: I have seen it's to be removed, but let me rant!)

I am so boycotting this competition until there's some common sense applied to the entries! *Harrumph* and *Bah Hambug!*

:angry:😋

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Following on from the mud throwing at Guylian's (Wetherspoons finest voted overwhelming as the majority) I have taken the drastic step of setting up a competition to find out the World's Best Chocolate once and for all

Usual rules apply:

A nominated chocolate must be seconded to reach the group stages.

The Chocolate being nominated must at least be broadly accepted as being a chocolate (I'm looking at you, Jaffa Cake)

Let the games begin!

Nominations list:

Guylian's
Terry's Chocolate Orange
Mint Club
Double Decker
Tony’s Chocolonely
Bounty
Snickers
Mars Bar
Texan Bar
Mrs Mason’s Coconut Badger
Galaxy
Mint Lindor
Ferrero Rocher
Toblerone
Wispa
Curly Wurly
Lion Bar

Seconded list:
Lindt - Touch of Sea Salt
Crunchie
Green and Blacks
After Eights

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Confusing poll.

Lots of the nominations barely feature chocolate, beyond perhaps a thin and perfunctory outer layer to what they’re actually all about - the filling. Biscuit. Nougat. Caramel. Coconut etc. These are not really ‘chocolate’.

Personally, it has to be dark chocolate - 75% or more - either plain and pure, or featuring an accompanying flavour note/texture: mint, orange, raspberry, sea salt etc. Lots of the classic combos are classic for good reason.

Lindt does this pretty well for the mass market. If you want to go posh, Valrhona is the dogs. There’s also a brand here in Dubai - Patchi - that’s pretty decent. Think it’s actually Lebanese, but very popular here.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mint Aero
Wispa Gold

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yorkie Nut and Raisin

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011