Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I dont know of others but think all European countries would refuse to take part if Russia in another name were allowed to take part

I dunno, why would this be any different to Qatars outdated views on various things and the slavery used to build the ground?

If countries really cared they would already be pulling out.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Already there is huge worldwide public resentment to this world cup.

If FIFA kick out Poland and the other's I can see it collapsing.

If Russia qualify there are lots of countries who won't play them whatever they are called.

England, France, Germany, Italy etc can ramp up the pressure seriously, by making a statement along the lines of ......

"if there are sanctions against Poland etc for refusing to play the fixture then we will pull out of the World Cup and play an alternative tournament, which we will host across our nations, and invite all nations who boycott the FIFA world cup, which we anticipate will be most of them"

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I dunno, why would this be any different to Qatars outdated views on various things and the slavery used to build the ground?

There's lots bad about Qatar, but they aren't invading an country on Western Europe's doorstep.

England of course have a great chance and you feel it could be our moment, but for all that I'd happily see the WC boycotted if Russia were allowed to play. There is a limit of how much a blind eye can be turned

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There's lots bad about Qatar, but they aren't invading an country on Western Europe's doorstep.

England of course have a great chance and you feel it could be our moment, but for all that I'd happily see the WC boycotted if Russia were allowed to play. There is a limit of how much a blind eye can be turned

Exactly, and Qatar, however bad their regime may be deemed are not likely to set off WW3 anytime soon.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

TBF, for all its faults (and they are indeed many and serious) Qatar isn't invading a peace-loving independent sovereign state in Europe.

Edit: beaten to it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I get that, but I honestly dont see countries doing it.

Someone above mentioned about a breakaway WC, which is a good idea - till you realise the Super League lot will then use the same reasoning to break away

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
FEA237DA-1B6A-4747-99DD-D9F93B7504DC.jpeg

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Football's world governing body Fifa is set to suspend Russia until further notice.

Fifa's suspension would mean Russia's exclusion from the men's World Cup qualification play-offs in March.

Russia's women are also set to compete at the Women's Euro 2022 in England in July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60560567

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Football's world governing body Fifa is set to suspend Russia until further notice - as the International Olympic Committee (IOC) recommends that Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials are banned from any organised international competitions.

Fifa's suspension would mean Russia's exclusion from the men's World Cup qualification play-offs in March.

Russia are scheduled to face Poland in the play-offs on the same day, followed by a final meeting with the Czech Republic or Sweden on 29 March, should they win.

Russia's women are also set to compete at the Women's Euro 2022 in England in July where they are in a group with the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60560567

FIFA were forced into this, not least because of the impracticability in finding a neutral host for the play off game, but ultimately they reached the right conclusion.

UEFA and IOC next please

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good for the cowardly big European FAs that they didnt need to take a stance, as they were probably afraid of upsetting some or another sponsor.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Already there is huge worldwide public resentment to this world cup.

If FIFA kick out Poland and the other's I can see it collapsing.

If Russia qualify there are lots of countries who won't play them whatever they are called.

England, France, Germany, Italy etc can ramp up the pressure seriously, by making a statement along the lines of ......

"if there are sanctions against Poland etc for refusing to play the fixture then we will pull out of the World Cup and play an alternative tournament, which we will host across our nations, and invite all nations who boycott the FIFA world cup, which we anticipate will be most of them"

I would very much suspect that these sentiments have already been made behind the scenes. To make them public would mean FIFA and, probably more importantly, Infantino losing face. By doing it privately he can claim a bit of kudos (although anyone with an IQ above 10 would know his position was forced) because it's what should have been done first rather than the ludicrous attempt to let them play under a different name.

Infantino would know that if European clubs boycott the world cup then the tournament is a waste of space, even more so if the European clubs had their own tournament at the same time!

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
All Russian club and national sides suspended by both FIFA and UEFA

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The Russian Football Union said it will go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) to appeal against its ban from international competitions after the country's invasion of Ukraine.

On Monday, Russian football clubs and national teams were suspended from all competition "until further notice" by Fifa and Uefa.

The union said it would file one lawsuit against football's world and European governing bodies, demanding Russia's men's and women's national teams be allowed to compete.

A statement from Russian football authorities said it "believes that Fifa and Uefa did not have a legal basis when deciding on the removal of Russian teams".

"The Russian Football Union was also not given the right to present its position, which violated the fundamental right to defence," the statement continued.

"In addition, when making decisions, Fifa and Uefa did not take into account other possible options for action, except for the complete exclusion of participants from the competition from Russia."

Russia says they "will insist on an expedited procedure for considering the case" in an effort to "ensure the possibility of the participation of Russian teams in the next scheduled matches".

The union also said it could motion for the suspension of competitions they were originally scheduled to compete in if unsuccessful.

"If Fifa and Uefa refuse such a procedure, a requirement will be put forward for the introduction of interim measures in the form of suspension of Fifa and Uefa decisions, as well as competitions in which Russian teams were supposed to participate," Russian football authorities said.

The union, who say they will seek "compensation for damage", said actions taken against them "violated the fundamental rights of the RFU as a member of Fifa and Uefa"

"The decision to withdraw the national team from qualification for the 2022 World Cup was made under pressure from direct rivals in the play-offs, which violated the principle of sports and the rules of fair play," the RFU said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60607645

Russia aren't in much of a position to demand anything at the moment.

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The Russian Football Union said it will go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) to appeal against its ban from international competitions after the country's invasion of Ukraine.

On Monday, Russian football clubs and national teams were suspended from all competition "until further notice" by Fifa and Uefa.

The union said it would file one lawsuit against football's world and European governing bodies, demanding Russia's men's and women's national teams be allowed to compete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60607645

Russia aren't in much of a position to demand anything at the moment.

Good luck with that one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here