Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup venue: USA vs UK???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know, the Serbs and Croats are gutted.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Mexico got 1986 because Columbia couldnt do it.

Colombia was originally chosen as hosts by FIFA in June 1974. However, the Colombian authorities declared in November 1982 that they could not afford to host the World Cup under the terms that FIFA demanded. Mexico was selected on May 20, 1983 as the replacement hosts, beating the bids of Canada, and the United States (who eventually hosted the 1994 World Cup), and became the first nation to host two World Cups. This second World Cup in Mexico came only 16 years after the first one in 1970. A severe earthquake in September 1985, eight months before the tournament, cast doubt over Mexico's ability to organize the event; however, the stadiums were not affected and it was decided to go ahead with the preparations.

However we SHOULD have the World Cup here

I think, sadly, the best chance of England have of hosting the World Cup in my lifetime is if they give it to a country that has to pull out at the last minute.

They know England has the ability to host, it's just not a popular choice.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
London did the world a favour by offering to host the Olympics in 1948 after WW2 when no one else would do it.

We only had to wait 64 years to get it again. Thanks for that, IOC.

:(

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I don't mind the idea of a rotation policy, but to do it on a continent by continent basis is stupid. Perhaps they could be grouped together

1. Europe
2. The Americas and Australia
3. Africa and Asia
4. Antarctica (By the time they're due to host it, global warming will make it a suitable venue)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
FFS not Australia! Not that they wouldn't do a godd job, but we'd be watching the games at 3.00am!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There is no doubt in my mind that Australia would be an excellent host for the World Cup, the Olympics in 2000 were possibly the best ever, certainly the most memorable. Think it would be a disaster if they gave it to the US, in the current climate a lot of countries might refuse to participate and the one they hosted in 94 was crap.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
He should consult with his wife (Fanny) before making such ridiculous statements...

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Stick it in Iraq. It will end up taking four years to play, and we will get through about 2500 players because the Yanks will keep taking them out "by accident". By then end the US will end up with all the balls, all the goals, and a contract to supply millions of Chevrolets to the Football Associations that promise to put "property of USA inc" after their association names.

It would make the Israel matches interesting, I bet no bastard would want to cross the half way line with the ball into Israeli territory....

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
There was a documentary a couple of years back which showed that Blatter relies on Concacaf (or whatever all those silly countries come under) to keep his job and to win various votes. Anyway, the fat sh*t will be dead by 2018 so f*ck him.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
If South Africa are unable to host the World Cup then it will have to be hosted somewhere else...

On July 12, 2006 The Guardian relayed reports by the German news agency SID that FIFA executives were concerned about the pace of South Africa's preparations and would consider moving the tournament to the United States or re-stage it in Germany if preparations fell behind. Rumours were also circulated that the event may be moved to Australia.

Franz Beckenbauer (chairman of Germany's successful bid to organize the 2006 FIFA World Cup) and Horst R. Schmidt (general secretary of the German Football Association), have publically acknowledged their concerns regarding the planning and political will of South Africa to host the event.

FIFA officials have consistently denied having any contingency plans to move the tournament, with president Sepp Blatter re-iterating that "Plan A... Plan B... Plan C is that the 2010 World Cup will be staged in South Africa". Unfortunately Blatter is a well known cock.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
i wasnt here them, but no....no americans really knew about it. most didnt even know about it last year!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
We deserve it, the yanks are more interested in Monster truck racing than 'Soccer', i would love to have a workd cup here in my lifetime

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Kinky Gerbils said:
Canada wouldnt want it, they are still paying off the Olympics

Not true at all, unless you are referring to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

And we would love it. I'd put your money on Canada hosting it if I were you. We've already been given the Women's World Cup and it was so well organised that this year we are hosting the U-20 World Cup.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Juan Albion said:

And we would love it. I'd put your money on Canada hosting it if I were you. We've already been given the Women's World Cup and it was so well organised that this year we are hosting the U-20 World Cup.

Would canada be able to cope with it though? The women's and u-20's is a little bit different to the men's world cup. Does it have enough stadia? What cities would be used?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Juan Albion said:

I think you're right. But in 1997, the province of Quebec was still paying for that shit awful Olympic stadium built in Montreal in 1978. :eek:

And now the Expos have moved to Washington having played to tin-pot Montreal crowds of about 8-12,000 for 2 decades, it's now a complete and utter white elephant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here