Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup Roar

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just because the season is over, it doesn't mean we can't still talk about fitba.

On this week's Albion Roar, we'll be talking World Cups past and present, memories of greatest goals, most horrific misses, flying elbows, cheating and crying. This week's guests are Swindon Town disappointee Iain Huddy (aka Shoreham Moonraker) and Kuen-Wah (aka Goldstone Rapper).

Tune in to Radio Reverb from 12-1pm on 97.2FM or at radioreverb.com

Send an email to thealbionroar@radioreverb.com or leave a message here. First talking point - what was your FIRST World Cup (finals tournament) memory?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The first world cup I actually took an interest in was Argentina 1978. my principal memories were of Cubillas's great strike against Scotland, Arie Haan's enormo goal against Italy, Clive Thomas's timekeeping in the Brazil/Sweden game, one team forgetting their kit and having to play in a spearmint striped kit. The footballing colossus that was Hans Krankl, ticker-tape etc. A pretty good tournament as I recall.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
What I loved about Scotland in 78 is they knew how to defend against free kicks. Macari and Gemmill they had the big men in the wall!!!! How Cubillas got that free kick over them I don't know:rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The first world cup I actually took an interest in was Argentina 1978. my principal memories were of Cubillas's great strike against Scotland, Arie Haan's enormo goal against Italy, Clive Thomas's timekeeping in the Brazil/Sweden game, one team forgetting their kit and having to play in a spearmint striped kit. The footballing colossus that was Hans Krankl, ticker-tape etc. A pretty good tournament as I recall.

Argentina vs France remains the game I remember enjoying the most of all non English games I've seen. Only saw it the once, I'd love to see it again just to know if it was as good as I remembered it to be late late into the night in 78. Just checked and it was only a group game :shock:

Last edited:

An old git reminisces ...

... about playing football at primary school level, where the referee was none other than Mervyn Griffiths, who refereed at the 1950, 1954 and 1958 world cup finals (including the Brazil v France semifinal in 1958). He taught at the school down the road from where I lived in Newport and was a top bloke - very encouraging to us young kids. His great claim to fame was his decision, as linesman in the 1954 final, to disallow a Puskas goal for Hungary in the 87th minute, effectively ensuring that the trophy went to West Germany.

... about becoming a big supporter of Argentina during the Group stages of the 1966 tournament, thanks to the brilliance of their supporters. The scenes at the England v Argentina quarterfinal were a real letdown to thousands of us who had been to the earlier games at Villa Park (against Spain and West Germany).

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sounds good, can you debate 20 20 v World cup clash of fixtures, I have to work when the England v Slovenia game is playing, nothing in the past worse than missing a live televised game.

I will have to rush home with my eyes and ears closed from East Croyden and watch a recording as if it was live.

[yt]yPiKQGJZfkc[/yt]

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Just because the season is over, it doesn't mean we can't still talk about fitba.

On this week's Albion Roar, we'll be talking World Cups past and present, memories of greatest goals, most horrific misses, flying elbows, cheating and crying. This week's guests are Swindon Town disappointee Iain Huddy (aka Shoreham Moonraker) and Kuen-Wah (aka Goldstone Rapper).

Tune in to Radio Reverb from 12-1pm on 97.2FM or at radioreverb.com

Send an email to thealbionroar@radioreverb.com or leave a message here. First talking point - what was your FIRST World Cup (finals tournament) memory?

Shame I'm out, would like to have heard the Rapper & Moonraker.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yesterday's show now available via our new website - Albion Roar | Unofficial Brighton Hove Albion Football Club Radio Show

Big thanks goes to Just Web Design for another great website for the Albion Roar! - Web Design Brighton Burgess Hill | Sussex

It's easy to navigate. The new show is towards the bottom of the web page and you can either press play or download. To download, press play and then download text icon will appear. Right click on the icon to save the show to your documents (save target as/or save link as etc) - you may need to pause the show that started playing to then select the download link.

Guidance text will be added to the audio players in the future. Also if you click on Archive menu our last five shows will appear, which are also on iTunes.

Yesterday's show will be available on iTunes very soon, will text when updated

Cheers

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Now on iTunes

Again any reviews/ratings on there would be appreciated.

You can follow us on Twitter if you're into all that tweeting stuff

cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here