Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Fifteen... D-Day for England

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That was just very good, bring on Les Francais. We're coming for you!!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
So, to explain this new and confusing world to an older generation. is it now OK for black people to white-up?
Yes, apparently this is acceptable these days.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
…. Unfortunately though I don't share your assessment of Walker matching Mbappe for pace. A few years ago, maybe? Now? No chance! Mbappe is the fastest player I've ever seen over the first couple of yards. It's insane pace! and Walker couldn't even out pace Ndiaye ( I think it was) today on a one on one.
You maybe right but don’t forgot Walker is still coming back from groin injury and has only just got upto 90’ match fitness so that might take a bit off his pace but it’s not just about pace to block Mbappe, it’s experience and physique both of which Walker has enough of to keep a lid on him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You maybe right but don’t forgot Walker is still coming back from groin injury and has only just got upto 90’ match fitness so that might take a bit off his pace but it’s not just about pace to block Mbappe, it’s experience and physique both of which Walker has enough of to keep a lid on him.
Man City beat PSG 2-1 he’s faced him before and come out a winner

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The first 35 minutes were nervy and cumbersome, then lighting quick we were 2 up.
we dominated the game, I think we are capable of beating France, however we need to cut out those mistakes we made in the first 35 minutes, there were some very sloppy passes that went astray, that luckily we were not punished for.

Roll on Saturday…

I’ve seen to many false dawns to get my hopes up, but….

well played

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Great result to wake up to. Just seen the highlights. It looked like up until we score it was a bit of a struggle but once we did we strolled to victory.

I'm really looking forward to the French game, even if it is at 4a.m and I expect us to lose. We have a shot at it though, I think this team is probably better than last years and definitely better than 4 years ago. The defence is still dodgy but the midfield is stronger, the forwards are the same as last year but with the experience of getting to a final, we have 12 goals in 4 game scored by 8 different players.

The french front four is very good with excellent movement so we'll have to deal with that and expect them to score meaning we've got to be prepared to attack. How we deal wit that front four will be Southgate's big test. do we sit back and try and deny them space or do we press higher up the pitch, swamp the midfield and not allow them any service?

It could be an absolute cracker of a game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It wasn’t imho.

The commentators and a load of nsc’ers felt there a complete tactics change on 35 to go long.

Still to find out if the players or GS made the change.

The players are way too professional for it to be anyone but GS.

The change in tactics could even have been a plan itself from the off. Draw them on, get them comfortable in a high press, stretch the lines a bit, then hit them with the direct stuff.

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
Not sure what it's like at home, but from New Zealand it seems like we're moving through the tournament in a more businesslike way without all the hype and fanfares. The booze issue also means our supporters haven't wrecked a city yet. Or it could be that I'm looking at England from 13,000 miles away and the place is going just as 'football's coming home' bonkers as usual.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Southgate / England slaggers must be absolutely SICKENED. What a shame they have another week or so to wait before they can unleash their "I TOLD YOU SO" narrative.

Most of the valid criticism was him playing with the hand break on with the squad options he has at his disposal, which considering we’ve scored 12 goals in 4 games with more attacking options shows that criticism had merit.

Saying that, with the group we had then Senegal the 1/4 was the expected result for most, let’s see he reverts to type on Saturday, or we take it to a injury hit squad missing some key players

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Most of the valid criticism was him playing with the hand break on with the squad options he has at his disposal, which considering we’ve scored 12 goals in 4 games with more attacking options shows that criticism had merit.

Saying that, with the group we had then Senegal the 1/4 was the expected result for most, let’s see he reverts to type on Saturday, or we take it to a injury hit squad missing some key players
Quite :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure what it's like at home, but from New Zealand it seems like we're moving through the tournament in a more businesslike way without all the hype and fanfares. The booze issue also means our supporters haven't wrecked a city yet. Or it could be that I'm looking at England from 13,000 miles away and the place is going just as 'football's coming home' bonkers as usual.
People haven’t really been going that mad in England up to this point. Unlike usual summer tournaments, there’s hardly any England flags flying from peoples’ houses or in pubs and the atmosphere just isn’t quite the same. I imagine that’ll change a bit during the week as excitement builds, but the necessity of having a mid-winter tournament really is just another unfortunate factor of this shitshow of a corruptly awarded tournament.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
174AED8A-3159-4F98-96D3-9D04D2C405F8.jpeg
2614897A-FF36-4DF2-9879-15D18D94D583.jpeg

The 2 halves of the draw

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
People haven’t really been going that mad in England up to this point. Unlike usual summer tournaments, there’s hardly any England flags flying from peoples’ houses or in pubs and the atmosphere just isn’t quite the same. I imagine that’ll change a bit during the week as excitement builds, but the necessity of having a mid-winter tournament really is just another unfortunate factor of this shitshow of a corruptly awarded tournament.
That's the impression I had from far away. I wasn't thinking about time of year in England - obviously it is the start of summer here. I will be watching the France game at Auckland viaduct in a pub at 8am, with about 500 noisy expats drinking jugs of beer. I went there for the Euros and it was like being back home. Most of the Kiwis I work with are in the anyone but England camp, so it would be great to smash the froggies and shut them up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's the impression I had from far away. I wasn't thinking about time of year in England - obviously it is the start of summer here. I will be watching the France game at Auckland viaduct in a pub at 8am, with about 500 noisy expats drinking jugs of beer. I went there for the Euros and it was like being back home. Most of the Kiwis I work with are in the anyone but England camp, so it would be great to smash the froggies and shut them up.
Sounds like a potentially amazing morning! Maybe the video clips that they show at half time of England fans reacting to goals should be from places like that? The ones that they've shown on BBC/ITV from the games so far have been from limited number of venues and looked like very forced celebrations from the punters to be honest.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Well yes, you might well have! So, which hues of skin tone have the inaliable right to put make up on to change the colour of their faces? I'm sure the Senegalise fans are doing it for fun, with no racism or hatred towards anyone - why on earth should anyone be offended? No reasonable tolerant person would be.
So, it's OK for some but not for others - that's hardly good liberalism, equality and tolerance.

P.S. As a kind and gentle soul, who looks to love and respect all my brothers and sisters on this earth, I fully expect, and am immune to, storms of vitriol from those that are actually less tolerant than I.
Deary me.

(thumbs up from wellquickwoody :lolol:)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well yes, you might well have! So, which hues of skin tone have the inaliable right to put make up on to change the colour of their faces? I'm sure the Senegalise fans are doing it for fun, with no racism or hatred towards anyone - why on earth should anyone be offended? No reasonable tolerant person would be.
So, it's OK for some but not for others - that's hardly good liberalism, equality and tolerance.

P.S. As a kind and gentle soul, who looks to love and respect all my brothers and sisters on this earth, I fully expect, and am immune to, storms of vitriol from those that are actually less tolerant than I.
Jesus.

It's nothing to do with tolerance.

White people, for years, blacked up to mock or impersonate black people. That's racist. The Senegal fans in question have used a white background so that the green "SENEGAL" stands out - because it wouldn't on black skin.

FFS :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here