Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World cup bid,it never was ever down just to football.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
England’s 2018 FIFA World Cup bid had all the usual arrogance and complacency about it making it unsurprising that it was spectacularly unsuccessful.

Everyone throughout the world knows that The Premier League is the best league in the world which attracts some of the greatest players and that we have an outstanding stadium and travel infrastructure. However, the bid needs to talk to the decision makers at FIFA and a first lesson in negotiation is to know your target audience requirements, overcome their issues and concerns and to shape a bid that will clinch the deal.

But no, we talk about English passion for the game and our capabilities and seemingly forget about the new marketing opportunities that FIFA is looking for. They are responsible for development of the game worldwide and developing nations need opportunities. At the eleventh hour we wheel in our legacy Royal family, a shiny Prime Minister and a hackneyed player who looks like he is having a bad hair day. It was embarrassing.

Another perspective which I have not heard mooted is that our same shiny Prime Minister who is waxing lyrical on the merits of an English bid is also telling the whole world that our coffers are absolutely empty and that the decade is going to be one of severe austerity and hardship. Given that their day to day economic messaging is so gloomy if I was a FIFA member I would be wondering if the country would still be afloat in 2018. Events like this probably go to countries who can afford them.

We probably got the Olympics because Tony Blair was on the team. I’m sure if TB had been involved with the 2018 bid there would have been more focus on FIFA requirements and objectives and the bid would have been more carefully directed. Difference between a winner and a loser, I guess

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
England’s 2018 FIFA World Cup bid had all the usual arrogance and complacency about it making it unsurprising that it was spectacularly unsuccessful.

Everyone throughout the world knows that The Premier League is the best league in the world which attracts some of the greatest players and that we have an outstanding stadium and travel infrastructure. However, the bid needs to talk to the decision makers at FIFA and a first lesson in negotiation is to know your target audience requirements, overcome their issues and concerns and to shape a bid that will clinch the deal.

But no, we talk about English passion for the game and our capabilities and seemingly forget about the new marketing opportunities that FIFA is looking for. They are responsible for development of the game worldwide and developing nations need opportunities. At the eleventh hour we wheel in our legacy Royal family, a shiny Prime Minister and a hackneyed player who looks like he is having a bad hair day. It was embarrassing.

Another perspective which I have not heard mooted is that our same shiny Prime Minister who is waxing lyrical on the merits of an English bid is also telling the whole world that our coffers are absolutely empty and that the decade is going to be one of severe austerity and hardship. Given that their day to day economic messaging is so gloomy if I was a FIFA member I would be wondering if the country would still be afloat in 2018. Events like this probably go to countries who can afford them.

We probably got the Olympics because Tony Blair was on the team. I’m sure if TB had been involved with the 2018 bid there would have been more focus on FIFA requirements and objectives and the bid would have been more carefully directed. Difference between a winner and a loser, I guess

Whilst I don't entirely disagree with this, I think it should have been made clear from the outset that FIFA were only currently interested in bids from "developing" nations, ie ones that would need massive, massive investment to get the thing up and running. Brazil is very much a work in progress, Russia is building 13 of its 16 stadiums from scratch. Qatar will pretty much need to build several new cities to cope with this.

If thats the criteria, spreading the gospel of FIFA across the world to "new frontiers", first WC in eastern Europe, first WC in the middle east, blah blah then fine, go down that route. But don't let the likes of England, Spain, Australia etc waste millions upon millions on doomed bits that would NEVER have fitted the criteria FIFA are looking for. If the best technical bid is sent to the bottom of the pile because one of its primary weaknesses is seemingly that "England doesn't NEED a World Cup as much" (apart from the fact that Blatter et-al f***ing hate us), then it just shows what a pathetic charade and a gargantuan waste of time, money and efffort the bidding process is from start to finish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here