Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WORLD Class Players - have we ever have one before?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lawrenson certainly. Best player since him was the Ukranian who was on loan and Stains signed him when we thought Bazza Lloyd had done a deal.

Sergei Gotsmanov was from Belarus, not Ukraine

Good player but not as well known as Lawro or Frank Stapleton

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lawrenson probably the only truly world class one, I'd say. I remember a few months after he'd left us to join Liverpool, the Brazilian player Zico selected him for his 'World XI' in some football mag.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Best player since him was the Ukranian who was on loan and Stains signed him when we thought Bazza Lloyd had done a deal.

Gotsmanov, from Belarus, wasn't he? Or Byelorussia or whatever it was called then. We took him on loan from Dynamo Minsk. Best moment from him was when he rounded the keeper (v. Hull?) and celebrated before tapping the ball in. Presumably why we have a poster called Sergei's Celebration. Sadly, I wasn't there that night - he would have scored right in front of me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sergei Gotsmanov was from Belarus, not Ukraine

Good player but not as well known as Lawro or Frank Stapleton

Certainly a better player than Stapleton. Typical East European skills, great first touch, sublime dribbling and a good finisher.

Far too good for us, he was always three passes ahead of the rest of the team.

I remember him destroying Swindon single handed at their place in the match where Duncan Shearer ended Nicky Bissett's career with the worst tackle I have seen at a match.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Let's not forget Steve Foster - played in the World Cup finals for England when he was with us (England never conceded a goal when he was in the defence, fact fans).

From opinion more than status - Lawrenson was at least as good a defender as Beckenbauer, in fact I'd say he was better adding into consideration the era he played in.

Such an incredible pity he'd already played for Ireland before he had the fame to be selected by England.
If I recall, his father told him it was his best chance to play international football - even though he was as "English as black pud".

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Martin Chivers might be in with a shout...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think it is fair to say that a few years ago Vicente was regarded as one of the best players in Europe, if not the world. Have we ever had a player who at some point in his career has been regarded so highly?

Lawrenson maybe? Corrigan?

We nurtured Lawrenson into a world class player, we never actually signed one.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Think imright in saying Jimmy Case never played for England, quite amazing when you consider what he won whilst at Liverpool.

Rated higher than Mark Lawrenson by Liverpool fans. I can't understand this.

18 Jimmy Case

1973-81 269 appearances

What a man, what a shot...Case was a manager's dream. He could play, he could defend, he scored goals and nobody took any liberties. His goal in the 1977 FA Cup Final was one of the greatest strikes ever seen at Wembley; according to legend he added to that tally by punching Kevin Keegan and blacking his eye after that match. Case has always denied it. Shame. He'd have been a shoo-in for the top ten if it was true.

24 Mark Lawrenson

1981-88 356 appearances

What lives most in the memory about Lawrenson are his last-ditch tackles. Remember Eric Gates about to pull the trigger? In comes Lawro from behind to nick the ball away with the stretch of a telescopic leg. Did it countless times. One of the greats... except... except anything he can do, Alan Hansen, his partner on the pitch and colleague in the studio, can do better. That's across the board. Central defender? Hansen. Pundit? Hansen. Everything. If he grew a moustache, Hansen's would be neater, bushier and more attractive. Life can be so cruel. Without that bastard Hansen, Lawrenson might have made the top 10 here.

The 50 greatest Liverpool players | Liverpool - Times Online

Obvious answers include Ricky Villa's mazy dribble for Spurs against Man City in 1981, Ray Wilkins curler for Man United against Brighton two years later and Keith Houchen's diving header for Coventry against Tottenham in 1987.

But one goal is all too easily forgotten - possibly because unlike the trio mentioned above it came in a losing cause - and that is Jimmy Case's stunning half volley against Man United in the Queen's silver jubilee year.

Had it won the game it would still be talked of today as one of the greatest of all time.

Which goal is Liverpool FC's greatest? - Liverpool FC News, Discussion Debate | Liverpool Banter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here