Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working in London - advice

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I dont mind commuting. There are feck all decent jobs in brighton at my level, but I wouldn't want to live in London.

I suppose I'm used to commutting, but its worth it to live in brighton. My advice - find a property close to Preston park station. You'll be able to be in a nicish environment probably within 5 minutes from the station. Plenty of trains stop there as well, even late into the night.

To put some of the commutes into perspective.

I live in Hackney.

A 38 bus to Victoria, I would allow one hour travelling time.:ohmy:

To use North London Line train and Victoria Line I would allow 30 minutes.

To go via Liverpool Street I would allow 34 minutes.

I imagine one of the differences is that my walking time to any of the above is 5-10 minutes. And I have a very frequent service.???

Lc

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
Highfields Seagull said:
The job I'm applying for is a 15 minute walk from Victoria, or 5 from Pimlico.

I live in islington and it is great. excellent for commuting to most places in london and especially the victoria as highbury and islington station is on the victoria line, and two buses are direct to victoria.
really nice place to live, loads to do and affordable for what you will be earning.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
virgirlo said:
I live in islington and it is great. excellent for commuting to most places in london and especially the victoria as highbury and islington station is on the victoria line, and two buses are direct to victoria.
really nice place to live, loads to do and affordable for what you will be earning.

I'm just up Holloway Road.
Nice, innit.

U

um bongo molongo

If you're 15 mins from Victoria I'd say the commute was do-able - as someone else said it;s the bit from the station to work that's the killer. But then I only managed 3 months of commuting before I gave up and moved up to the smoke. If you do move up my advice would be to try to live somewhere where you can get to work by bus and/or train - less depressing than the tube and more reliable since Red Ken took a load of money off us to buy a lot of new ones.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I love living in cities, always have done.

I've lived in Brighton, Sheffield, Bristol, Portsmouth & Southampton. London is excellent and by far the best of the bunch. Whatever you're into, you'll find it in London.

Also, It's great for travelling, Stanstead, Gatwick, Heathrow & Luton all really easy to get to.

I'd consider moving a bit further out eventually, maybe around the M1 somewhere but certainly no further than an hours commute.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London's a great place to live, but Brighton is probably slightly better. If you're working in London, it's nice to have a tube every 5 minute, be able to get a taxi home after a night on the piss, or use the multitude of facilities the city has to offer. But I really miss the sea, the more relaxed way of life and the all round coolness of Brighton.

I've lived in SW London for 7 years but I'm about to move to Reigate (which is equi-distant between Brighton & London) because of the kids education - we'd have considered Brighton but for a couple of reasons, the main reason on my part being that I'd get pissed off with the commute to and from Brighton.

Brighton suffers from a lack of well paid work. Sad to say, but Reading wins on that score. :(

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Been commuting from little old Burwash in East Sussex for almost 6 years now, yes it's expensive but the trains are more modern now and running better. It's a life choice really, London is one of the greatest citys in the world and I love it, but its nice to be able get out when it starts doing your head in and breath some cleaner air. On £32000 grand a year I would'nt worry about the cost at all, I know people who do it for a lot less.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Been commuting for from Shoreham for 12 years and previously a monster commute from Birmingham to London.

What you might struggle to find is better wages than London which really does pay tops.

The new trains are much better but as I live on the Jurassic line at Shoreham the 07:03 and 17:24 back both still stinky slam door stuff :angry: :angry: :angry:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Highfields Seagull said:
The job I'm applying for is a 15 minute walk from Victoria

At least if you were commuting from Brighton then you wouldn't have to use the tube. That's a big plus, especially in the Summer. And you'd be in Brighton in the Summer. No contest really :cool:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Beach Hut said:
Been commuting for from Shoreham for 12 years and previously a monster commute from Birmingham to London.

What you might struggle to find is better wages than London which really does pay tops.

The new trains are much better but as I live on the Jurassic line at Shoreham the 07:03 and 17:24 back both still stinky slam door stuff :angry: :angry: :angry:

I did the 7:11 to London Bridge from Shoreham for a while :angry: now I do the 8:39am to Durrington!! :clap:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Tom Hark said:
At least if you were commuting from Brighton then you wouldn't have to use the tube. That's a big plus, especially in the Summer. And you'd be in Brighton in the Summer. No contest really :cool:

Simple solution to this old chestnut.

Stay out drinking.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tom Hark said:
At least if you were commuting from Brighton then you wouldn't have to use the tube.
Yeah, just a 90 minute commute (if you're lucky) back home instead. Great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here