Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Workers, sold down the river by a labour government.

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
royal mail has slowly gone down the shitter since i was in my teens.
i still remember the days when you got an early post then a second post around 11am.
yet in the last few years all they have done is charge us more for alot less.
being a regular buyer/seller on ebay i see first hand how shit our mail service has become.

John Byrne

Jun 18, 2007
i still remember the days when you got an early post then a second post around 11am.
being a regular buyer/seller on ebay i see first hand how shit our mail service has become.

The problem is you have a demoralised work force who just don't give a f*** anymore (me being one of em) Why should we roll over for RM? We have made several cut backs and changes over the last 3/4 years for bonuses which were never paid and false promises. They now want to change our hours, cut our pay by losing the morning allowance and offer us a poxy 2.5% pay rise. They then expect us to work harder and cut thousands of our jobs so they can bring in machines. The way we've been treated is a joke, my office like many i'm sure have now got the attitude "go f*** ya self RM...we've had enough!" We aren't gonna take anymore.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Companies are hardly falling over themselves to provide an alternative mail distribution service. It's just not cost-effective. With the advent of email, nobody writes letters anymore, just send Xmas and Birthday cards. Most of the mail now is utility bills and junk mail. Why not pass the cost on to the utility companies and the junk mail spammers rather than hammering the workers who have to delliver the stuff?

I beg to differ. A lot of mail is passed around the legal system but it uses a totally different service than Royal Mail.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I live in Wales mate and believe it or not there are ex-miners who vote tory its a fecking disgrace.:censored:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Have you ever used any other postal systems around the world? RM are one of the best I've ever used....US Postal service, Australia Post, Hong Kong and Canadian....and none of them are any where near as quick or resonably priced as RM....

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Have you ever used any other postal systems around the world? RM are one of the best I've ever used....US Postal service, Australia Post, Hong Kong and Canadian....and none of them are any where near as quick or resonably priced as RM....

I don't see us having one of the better postal systems justifies reducing it's quality to bring it in line with others?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I don't see us having one of the better postal systems justifies reducing it's quality to bring it in line with others?
They're not downgrading quality. Most people work 9-5. What benifit does a 11am second post have, when it would consist of 1-2 pieces of post. If something is urgent you send it special delivery, not that people are ever in to receive it. Cost cutting goes on in every indsutry, cheaper suppliers, buying in bulk, removing unneccesary overheads, etc... It's a way of life that people want more for less. Sometimes the near-pointless things need to go. The loss of a second delivery probably affected 3-4% of royal mail's "customers".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a little confused, Woodchip old boy, 2nd delivery went west years ago.

Our current dispute revolves around may issues, one being, offered 2.5% pay increase but our hours changed to bring us more in line with 9 to 5ers, thereby costing us an equivalent amount in lost shift allowance.

But Brown flattly refused to get the management to talk to the union, it was his only straight answer all PMQ's. Saying he was scared of inflation rises which isn't the case as we would be getting a pay decrease.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm a little confused, Woodchip old boy, 2nd delivery went west years ago.

Our current dispute revolves around may issues, one being, offered 2.5% pay increase but our hours changed to bring us more in line with 9 to 5ers, thereby costing us an equivalent amount in lost shift allowance.

But Brown flattly refused to get the management to talk to the union, it was his only straight answer all PMQ's. Saying he was scared of inflation rises which isn't the case as we would be getting a pay decrease.
Pigsy was slagging off the Postal Service, saying service was poor as there was no longer a second delivery. I was defending it (shockingly).

Anyway, get back to work, I'm expecting a parcel through you guys!!!! ;)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strange, that's not how I read Pigsy's reply.

Anyway is your parcel about this big?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Royal Mail management has a certain mentality towards its staff. Basically they want to introduce new technology that will see 40,000 lose their jobs and they dont give a shit as long it is implemented as soon as possible. The postal service will be dumbed down to compete against the likes of TNT etc but to the detriment of you and I. Being offered 2.5 % is a joke when the wages are crap to start with (real inflation is about 8% taking into consideration what people are earning at this level). Also, in effect the posties will be taking a large pay cut as they will lose shift allowances when the night duties are abolished , plus the overtime will go as well. Sorting the mail later means the business post will get utmost priority so we wont get residential post until 3 pm if we are lucky. Amalgamating postal rounds so that less delivery staff are used is another way or increasing productivity but at the end of the day there will be no reward. Labour were the political party that represented the working class but no longer does so , perhaps it is because we have aspirations to better ourselves that this Government has decided to become just like the Tories before them.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Its not about quality, its reducing the cost base to ensure service levels remain as well as increasing profits. Sadly Royal Mail is a hulking great giant of monumentally horrendous labour costs, and reducing market share. Machines are cheaper and the day of hand sorted mail has gone, all of this has been on the cards for ages. Overtime, shift allowances and nightworking payments are no longer deemed a viable way to run a business. All the union can do here is prolong the agony and probably ensure more job losses.

Which is all a very very sad shame. My postie is training to go into IT, but he doesn't want to do it as he loves being a postie.

John Byrne

Jun 18, 2007
Royal Mail management has a certain mentality towards its staff. Basically they want to introduce new technology that will see 40,000 lose their jobs and they dont give a shit as long it is implemented as soon as possible. The postal service will be dumbed down to compete against the likes of TNT etc but to the detriment of you and I. Being offered 2.5 % is a joke when the wages are crap to start with (real inflation is about 8% taking into consideration what people are earning at this level). Also, in effect the posties will be taking a large pay cut as they will lose shift allowances when the night duties are abolished , plus the overtime will go as well. Sorting the mail later means the business post will get utmost priority so we wont get residential post until 3 pm if we are lucky. Amalgamating postal rounds so that less delivery staff are used is another way or increasing productivity but at the end of the day there will be no reward. Labour were the political party that represented the working class but no longer does so , perhaps it is because we have aspirations to better ourselves that this Government has decided to become just like the Tories before them.

Every word is 100% correct.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
what pisses me off is the double standards employed by politicans. They say we only got 2% this year. Thats true but 2% of 1OOk is better than 2% of 20k or whatever the postie gets, plus most people do not have huge tax free expenses.

But the worst thing is they say inflation is 2.5%, utter bollocks its 4.5% if you include housing etc and this wet weather is going to put the cost of food up. They treat the working man like shit and sell off our countries assets to pay for their illegal war.

There is power in the union stat brother, stand up against these hypocrites who run this country and you will win.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
These were the days when unions had real power.
f*** the management, we want a riot.
Grunwicks, miners strikes........... I loved it.

Now I'm a union man
Amazed at what I am
I say what I think, that the company stinks
Yes I'm a union man

When we meet in the local hall
I'll be voting with them all
With a hell of a shout, it's "Out brothers, out!"
And the rise of the factory's fall

Oh, you don't get me, I'm part of the union
You don't get me, I'm part of the union
You don't get me, I'm part of the union
Until the day I die